OS 9.2 Partition for G3 Macs - the question

Actually, it's not quite that easy. :(

The problem is that when you boot into OS 9, you need to make sure that the Classic RAVE extension is not loaded. You can do this by either

a) Removing it from the extensions folder before booting into OS 9.

B) Launching the extensions manager on boot (I believe you hold down the space bar to do this) and then disabling it.

Each time Classic launches from OS X, it will put the extension back in (after asking if it is OK to do so -- you have to say yes or else Classic won't start).

OK, to save this hassle, some people partition their disk drives to allow them to have a separate OS 9 System folder that is not used by Classic, and so does not have the Classic RAVE extension loaded into it.

You can do this, but if you didn't partition when you first got the machine, it is a lot more trouble. The main problem is that partitioning your disk will result in the DISK BEING ERASED. You therefore need to RELIABLY backup everything you want to keep on your disk (this is not a bad idea anyway, but....). Then you can partition the disk and reinstall the backedup material.

The need to do the backup and erase the disk in order to partition it is one reason that partitioning is generally not done later.

Now if you can just find a suitably inexpensive firewire disk, you could set up the new disk with an OS 9 system. Besides, at least in my case, my home machine only has a 6GB disk, which would barely hold CMBO, CMBB and presumably the new CMAK if I removed everything else from it. :eek:

Actually, I have not had the trouble with classic Rave loading when I boot from OS9. I'm runnning OSX.3 and 9.2.2 on the same iBook, and boot back and forth every day to play CM. I think they fixed the classic rave issue a while back.

at least that is my experience.

and it still doesnt run in emulation, though it does actually load the graphics now. Just hangs after the screen appears - the map and units appear but the lower status bar is blank and the game hangs.

dave

I am running 3.o and cannot sucessfully load CM -- it hangs when loading graphics. Following the previous comments posted, I deleted the rave file and it appears to work. However, I am having problems with the graphics setting--either it runs in low resolution or in a higher resolution in a smaller window which I cannot adjust. I have spent some time searching for solutions on the web--I am desparate to find a good turn-based wargame which I can play on my powerbook while travelling or killing time. Cheers, dlb

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Not sure what you mean by "3.o"

Could you give us your system specs and OS version you're booted up in, screen settings etc

Plus are you playing CMBO or CMBB?

Cheers

Originally posted by Mac_Wargamer99:

I am running 3.o and cannot sucessfully load CM -- it hangs when loading graphics. Following the previous comments posted, I deleted the rave file and it appears to work. However, I am having problems with the graphics setting--either it runs in low resolution or in a higher resolution in a smaller window which I cannot adjust. I have spent some time searching for solutions on the web--I am desparate to find a good turn-based wargame which I can play on my powerbook while travelling or killing time. Cheers, dlb

Originally posted by paverhino:

I have a G3 Mac running OS X. Apparently, neither CMBO nor CMBB will run in the classic mode on a X system. I've been told to set up a partition to run OS 9.2 and boot the games from there. How do I do that?

Pavehino,

These are some notes I wrote some time ago (August, 2002) which may help.

You don't need to partition the drive (as mentioned by others this can lead to major issues (i.e. losing everything) if your aren't confident.

To do it properly with the existing CM engine (CMBO, CMBB, CMAK), which wont change soon, you need to do the following.

1. You need a plain (straight off the CD) version of 9.2 installed. This will be your "classic" system folder (used within OS X). Call this folder "System Folder"

2. You need another (lets call it "normal") system folder as well. This holds all those extra extensions, fonts, control panels etc, that you have collected over time. This is the one that you will use when running CMBO, CMBB, CMAK and whatever else. This can be on the same or different hard drive partition as the "classic" system folder. You need to give this a unique name (mine is "Bloated System Folder").

3. You need OS X installed.

Now for the fun part:

1. Assuming you are in OS X use the "Startup Disk" System Preference to identify "Bloated System Folder" and restart. Play CMBO / CMBB / CMAK to your heart's content.

2. Now you want to go back to OS X so select the "startup disk" control panel and choose the "classic system folder". Restart into this vanilla copy of 9.2.x. Now select startup disk again and choose the OS X system and restart into OS X.

You need the 2nd restart because OS X uses the last system folder for classic and you don't want it to keep trying to install Classic Rave etc onto the one you use for CMBO / CMBB / CMAK.

Another option could be to use Extension Manager or Conflict Catcher (if you can find a copy) but I find it just as complex.

Slightly off topic but if you copy (not move) your application specific prefences from the normal system folder into the classic system folder you can use your favourite classic applications from within OS X without rekeying serial numbers, etc.

Sorry if its long winded but this has worked fine for me since the OS X public beta and until the CM engine is re-written I think its something you need to get used to.

[ November 18, 2003, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: gibsonm ]

You need the 2nd restart because OS X uses the last system folder for classic and you don't want it to keep trying to install Classic Rave etc onto the one you use for CMBO / CMBB / CMAK.

I don't think this is strictly necessary. The System Preference for Classic allows you to choose which system folder to use for classic, so I would expect you can reboot directly into OS X.

I don't know if having both OS 9 system folders on the same partition affects that, since I have a separate partition, but it seems like the 2nd reboot may not be necessary.

Thnanks. Sorry for not providing enough intel. 3.0 means Panther 10.3 . . . however, has since upgraded to 10.31. I desire to play CMBO on my Powerbook G4 (867 MHz). Both OS X and OS9 are set to 1024 x 768/thousands. The graphics revert to 640x480 once I start. Having looked throughout the net--I have come to the conclusion that is the best I can do. I have not configured to run Classic off a separate drive, although I am considering setting-up a firewire drive if that is what is necessary. I am interested in any workarounds/fixes which may allow CMBO to work on my powerbook. As a last note, I have not seen discussions about whether Windows emulation software would support running of games such as CMBO. dlb

Originally posted by Wicky:

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Not sure what you mean by "3.o"

Could you give us your system specs and OS version you're booted up in, screen settings etc

Plus are you playing CMBO or CMBB?

Cheers

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Mac_Wargamer99:

</font>

Nearby this thread is one in which after much headscratching it was concluded that the Powerbook G4 (867 MHz) couldn't run CM because it has an ATI mobility 9000 video card. Could you check your system profiler to confirm the make of card and VRAM.

ATI and PB867 thread

VirtualPC doesn't support 3D graphics acceleration directly from graphics card VRAM and instead uses RAM, so that's a no go.

Be careful wiyh Fire wire drives as 10.3 has issues with firewire drives that needed firmware fixes or data was lost. (see macfixit Firewire debacle)

Thnanks. Sorry for not providing enough intel. 3.0 means Panther 10.3 . . . however, has since upgraded to 10.31. I desire to play CMBO on my Powerbook G4 (867 MHz). Both OS X and OS9 are set to 1024 x 768/thousands. The graphics revert to 640x480 once I start. Having looked throughout the net--I have come to the conclusion that is the best I can do. I have not configured to run Classic off a separate drive, although I am considering setting-up a firewire drive if that is what is necessary. I am interested in any workarounds/fixes which may allow CMBO to work on my powerbook. As a last note, I have not seen discussions about whether Windows emulation software would support running of games such as CMBO. dlb

[ November 23, 2003, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: Wicky ]

Reference quote: I have a GeForce4 MX AGP. Thanks for the heads-up on the firewire. dlb

Originally posted by Wicky:

Nearby this thread is one in which after much headscratching it was concluded that the Powerbook G4 (867 MHz) couldn't run CM because it has an ATI mobility 9000 video card. Could you check your system profiler to confirm the make of card and VRAM.

ATI and PB867 thread

VirtualPC doesn't support 3D graphics acceleration directly from graphics card VRAM and instead uses RAM, so that's a no go.

Be careful wiyh Fire wire drives as 10.3 has issues with firewire drives that needed firmware fixes or data was lost. (see macfixit Firewire debacle)

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Mac_Wargamer99:

</font>

PowerBook G4/867 12" Specs?

Puzzling as it says that your model can't boot into OS9 ?!?! If you can is it OS9.2.2?

When you tried setting different screen resolutions and running CM was this in OSX running Classic emulation? Because CM-BO will run, albeit very graphically poorly and slowly @640x480.

In OSX system prfs>start up> does the OS9 system come up as an option to boot into. Just like this:

startup.jpg

Reference quote: I have a GeForce4 MX AGP. Thanks for the heads-up on the firewire. dlb

[ November 20, 2003, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: Wicky ]

Sorry for the delay, havent been able to check the forum lately.

I did mean that CM hangs in CLASSIC mode under Panther. It loaded further this time, which was encouraging - I actually got the map and units to show, but the status bar at the bottom remained blank (for that matter, the text fields for the password block were blank as well).

appears that there are issues with the text part of the drivers for Classic/RAVE. Sure would like apple to fix that, but they probably wont.

unless we barrage them with emails?

dave