Fog Conditions = All Gray Screen

Hi BTS,

I've installed CM and, so far, everything is perfect but for one thing. When I play a scenario with foggy conditions, the 3D map portion of the screen is completely gray except for label text and (if I'm looking that way) the compass "north" indicator. I can't see any unit shapes even when I go to view "1" and lock on.

The gray-out occurs equally with both "full" and "partial" weather effects, but it disappears (and the game looks fine) when I turn off weather entirely.

Snow, rain, and clear conditions cause no problem. Smoke, explosions, and building transparency look fine on my system.

My system:

Gateway P2/400 (not overclocked)

128MB RAM

Guillemot 3D Prophet GeForce 32MB (not o/c)

NVidia 5.22 drivers

DirectX 7a

800 x 600 resolution, 16 bit color

Using CM patch 1.01

Mods from Mad Matt's site (low-res grass)

Thanks for the best wargame I've seen in 15 years of playing. I'd love to see the fog, though.

Paul Roberts

Guest Big Time Software

There should be a control panel for your video card and/or DirectX. If there is a switch to "enable fog table emulation", turn it on.

Charles

• 1 year later...

What OS, what video card and what drivers do you have loaded ? I've seen some ATI Radeon drivers do this (they don't support fog-tables properly in CM). As for NVidia-based video cards I haven't seen any particular fog problems with them. Have you exited CM and rebooted your computer after enabling fog-tables in the control panel ?

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

What OS, what video card and what drivers do you have loaded ? I've seen some ATI Radeon drivers do this (they don't support fog-tables properly in CM). As for NVidia-based video cards I haven't seen any particular fog problems with them. Have you exited CM and rebooted your computer after enabling fog-tables in the control panel ?

W98SE, Asus V7700 GF2 GTS 32MB (not sure about the drivers, it's Asus:s drivers (not nVidia), I guess something like V6.22 or something, have to check them when I'm back at home). I did exit CM but I didn't reboot the computer (for some reason the windows didn't prompt to restart, usually if you change the speed of the mouse, you have to reboot smile.gif ), it crossed my mind if I had to reboot but I didn't have time to do it since I was busy watching Finland and Sweden humiliating themselves at Götebord hockey arena. When I go home I will try again to see if the booting helps.