Stupid newbie questions..sorry

Hi all,

Now I have to be a newbie again. I just purchased this Barbarossa to Berlin and Beyond Overlord bundle. I am a veteran of Command and Conquer(especially the RAII version)but I have a feeling I'm in for a butt whooping this time. I realize the RTS is not going to be as dominant in these games. How is the game play?(besides turn play) I've read some good reviews on the games including the propaganda that Battlefront puts out. I see that there are a lot of you out there and that is encouraging. I'd just like general opinion on how the game plays and what I could expect from it from you game players. To me, it looks as though I can expect several weeks worth of gameplay from one campaign. How is the info in the manual? Must I rely on C++? I'm sure you will all find this amusing from a newbie, but I'd kind of like to know just what I got myself into. The game looks good and it looks VERY hard. I already know I'll have a bloody nose the first time I try it. Is the download patch neccessary? That concerns me. Any info is appreciated very much. Thank you all for your time.

howyaboin?,

Welcome. It's really not as daunting as it looks.

Dowmload the patch, it is worth the improvements.

Go to FAQ for CMBB located right here, go to Tips and tricks and read, read, read and then use the *search* button located top right.

When all else fails, ask the question, 'cause you will find most everyone here friendly and helpful.

Good huntin'

KC

Howyadoin?,

The besty way to think of this game is as a simulation. It can be extremely rewarding and fun to play, but you have to think about it in terms of REAL WORLD tactics.

Read some books on small unit tactics during WW2, including such gems as "Panzer Aces," "In Deadly Combat" etc. and I gaurantee you will come away with a great intro in how to kick butt at this game!

[ December 26, 2002, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: Panzer Leader ]

Welcome! In your "bundle" of CMBO and CMBB it would be wise to play the tutorial in CMBO to get a feeling on how the game fuctions. As the old saying goes......it's easy to learn,but hard to master! Stick with the game even though you may leave the battlefield in a "wheelchair" the first few times, but that is the wonder of this masterpiece! When you do kick some butt, you will feel like Patton! Enjoy! ;)

Start with scenarios marked as "tiny" and work your way up. Large scenarios are very daunting at first. And confusing!

It's a simple interface that's sometimes clumsy but not difficult to figure out. The difficulty lies in the AI's uncanny ability to whack your units no matter how smart you think you were when you moved them, and the problems of coordinating large numbers of them all at once and still maintain a sense of what you're trying to accomplish.

Practice, practice, practice.

Originally posted by howyadoin?:

Hi all,

Now I have to be a newbie again. I just purchased this Barbarossa to Berlin and Beyond Overlord bundle. I am a veteran of Command and Conquer(especially the RAII version)but I have a feeling I'm in for a butt whooping this time. I realize the RTS is not going to be as dominant in these games. How is the game play?(besides turn play) I've read some good reviews on the games including the propaganda that Battlefront puts out. I see that there are a lot of you out there and that is encouraging. I'd just like general opinion on how the game plays and what I could expect from it from you game players. To me, it looks as though I can expect several weeks worth of gameplay from one campaign. How is the info in the manual? Must I rely on C++? I'm sure you will all find this amusing from a newbie, but I'd kind of like to know just what I got myself into. The game looks good and it looks VERY hard. I already know I'll have a bloody nose the first time I try it. Is the download patch neccessary? That concerns me. Any info is appreciated very much. Thank you all for your time.

Have you read the Primer you can find here: ?

try this:

(scroll down to where Dorosh put in the BLUE headers and READ the Primer)

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=23;t=004683

from this thread:

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=025064

-tom w