Anyone notice the Totenkopf collar tabs?

Originally posted by Jack Carr:

I received CMBB this past Monday and setup a few quick battles. After selecting central front in June-July 1943, I noticed the Waffen SS grenadiers were Totenkopf troopers. Is this by design or is it random? I'm impressed!

It should be noted, also, that all panzer crews had the Totenkopf on their collar and caps...

Well, all Panzer crews - especially during the early war years - all wore the Totenkopf symbol on their collars. So this is not surprising V.

Fernando, I am not really sure what you mean by your comment. Unlike the majority of all-German early war SS divisions like LAH and Das Reich (which wore the traditional SS runes on their collars) the Totenkopf division wore the Totenkopf. So it would seem that BTS decided to make their SS from the 3rd Division. Right?

Well, all Panzer crews - especially during the early war years - all wore the Totenkopf symbol on their collars. So this is not surprising V.

Fernando, I am not really sure what you mean by your comment. Unlike the majority of all-German early war SS divisions like LAH and Das Reich (which wore the traditional SS runes on their collars) the Totenkopf division wore the Totenkopf. So it would seem that BTS decided to make their SS from the 3rd Division. Right?

The info on Panzer crews is accurate - all wore the totenkopf - even StuG crews, although they were officially attached to the Artillery Arm.

I think the totenkopf on W-SS troops is BTS' way of sidestepping the SS rune and swastika issue that some countries have.

As to why it is thought necessary to sanitise history is beyond me. When something becomes 'taboo' it instantly becomes more attractive and interesting to certain types of people. Probably the very types such censorship is meant to 'protect'.

Still, these rules are not something that BTS can do anything about...

Rgds

Originally posted by Paul T. Gardner:

The info on Panzer crews is accurate - all wore the totenkopf - even StuG crews, although they were officially attached to the Artillery Arm.

Rgds

The skulls were ordered off the StuG uniforms midway through the war, ditto Panzerjaeger crews. Both wore "plain" patches, and later standard litzen, though many old timers retained the skulls throughout the war. German dress regs were chaotic and only casually enforced.

The skulls were also worn by armoured signalmen and pioneers, at least for a time, though I'm not too clear on the regulations concerning these uniforms. I have some photos on my GD site - recently arrived - of a GD armoured signalman who wore the black uniform and, apparently, skulls on his patches. I am in the midst of interviewing him for the site, perhaps I can find out more.