CMBO demo- new guy that is super confused...still

RA

OK I understand how to initially have my troops move to positions (give orders) but once the game commences I cannot get the comand menu to appear when I try to give them additonal orders. All that happens is a red outline appears on the given troops I try to direct. Geeeez, this game would be great fun if I could figure out how to at least do fundametal ops. I printed the demo tutorial that is here but the instructions in it do not jibe once the game starts. :mad:

[ December 21, 2002, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: RA ]

OK I figured out the space bar. That worked for a second "movement" Now that the action is under way the space bar does not bring up a list of commands. I was mistaken when I said a red box I meant yellow. What gives here? My guys are getting taken out because I can't order them and give them support from reserves in the back. Does that make sense? Thanks.

Still :mad:

[ December 21, 2002, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: RA ]

Is it my understanding that you are trying to command your troops while the action is taking place? If that is what you are asking you cannot command your troops once you click go.The series of events will take place for 60 seconds and you will have no control during that time or am I misunderstanding you?

My description was probably unclear. I want to make some commands after the 60 second action is over. I cannot get the drop down menu that was coming up with the spacebar to work. All I can do is click on the unit/tank and a yellow outline appears. I must be missing something?

R :(

Battlefront is a great company and they make amazing games, but frankly they spend a lot more time on the games themselves than they do making the demo versions easily undertandable for newcomers. Just trust that once you figure out the mechanics, you're in for a real treat.

Just to make sure you understand what's been explained in bits and pieces on this thread, and to add some details:

1. Any CM game starts with a SETUP phase. During this turn, you can place units around the maps with some restrictions (setup zones) and issue some simple orders, such as choosing to have unit start the game HIDING or not. You issue orders to units during setup by right-clicking on the unit, or by left clicking to select the unit, and then pressing spacebar.

2. Once you're done placing your units around the map, click on the GO button in the lower right corner. This will move you to the turn 1 ORDERS phase. You may or may not spot some enemy units as a result what you did during the SETUP phase. During the ORDERS phase, right-clicking (or left-clicking and then pressing spacebar) will bring up a complete list of orders available for a given unit. Some orders (like MOVE, RUN, and SNEAK) are movement orders. Others (like TARGET or HIDE/UNHIDE) order your unit to do something other than move. You'll get a general idea of what the orders do by their names and by playing with them a bit. Note that you can issue more than one order to a unit on a give orders phase (multiple movement orders using "waypoint", or a MOVE then HIDE, for example).

3. Once you're done giving your units their turn 1 orders, press the GO button again. This will move you to the turn 1 movie phase. During this phase, you can watch the 60-second movie that represents turn 1 as many times (and from as many different angles) as you like. The VCR-like controls in the lower right corner control the movie playback. Note that while you're watching the movie, you can select a unit (enemy or friendly), and you'll see some information about the unit and what it's doing on the lower part of your screen. You cannot, however, issue any orders during the movie phase.

4. Once you're done watching the movie, press the DONE button in the lower right. This will move you to the turn 2 ORDERS phase. You can now modify (with limitations) orders you issued during turn 1, or issue completely new orders. If any reinforcement arrive at the beginning of this turn, you will recieve notification and see the new units on the map.

5. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

I hope this gives you a general idea of what you're doing. There's a lot more to learn about the game, but I have no particular desire to retype the manual verbatim. Juat play and pretty soon you'll be hooked, order the game, and have your own copy of the manal.

Cheers,

YD

Well I think I figured out the obvious stupid thing I didn't do. I think it was trying to make commands before hitting the "done" button. Let me try and I'll report back. Thanks I hope I haven't sounded too much like a blathering idiot. :D

R

Seriously, I wonder how many folks have downloaded the demo, tried to play it and given up due to a lack of basic instructions. I remember thinking "This has got to be the best thing I have ever seen, but what the heck are all these lines and menu choices, and how do I make it work?"

Granted, a search of the old CMBO archives would reveal all, but now that the forum is subdivided and a lot of the initial discussion is archived, that might not be so easy for a new player.

How hard would it be to include a summary like yankee dog's with the download, perhaps with the addition of a line explaining indirect fire? Might go a long way to getting new folks aboard.

[ December 22, 2002, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: BloodyBucket ]

Originally posted by RA:

OK I understand how to initially have my troops move to positions (give orders) but once the game commences I cannot get the comand menu to appear when I try to give them additonal orders. All that happens is a red outline appears on the given troops I try to direct. Geeeez, this game would be great fun if I could figure out how to at least do fundametal ops. I printed the demo tutorial that is here but the instructions in it do not jibe once the game starts. :mad:

try this

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=23;t=004683

scroll down to where Dorosh put in the BLUE headers and READ the Primer

from this thread:

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=025064

-tom w