Too much RAM?

Just installed win2000 pro....evrythings fine except this funky Hibernate thing. I thought this was supposed to speed up booting( I think it saves everything in ram to disk and then just loads that instead of booting proper). I counted 56 elephants to boot normally but 67 elephants to wake from hibernation? Is this related to the amount of RAM you have on your system. I.e my 394mb takes 67 elephants to load and 32mb ram PC's take 6.

Sorry its not related to CM but I just gotta know.

Guest ckoharik

I for one have never heard the claim that hibernation was supposed to speed up the boot process. Suspend, yes, hibernate, no. From my experience, hibernation is usually associated with laptops that allows you to not lose data when the batteries run low.

I'm sure that my PC powers down when it hibernates. I.e no fan ect, therefore I can only assume that it's purpose is to replace booting, i.e hibernation doesnt make sure drivers and stuff have loaded correctly it just reloads a ram image it saves when it shuts down and you the user keed your fingers crossed that evrything goes ok. Otherwise you would just save your work and shutdown normally????

i searched on support.microsoft.com under Windows 2000, using the keywords "hibernate" and "power" (because hibernate is a feature of power management)...found this article...it refers to 2 laptops, but it might explain the issue...

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q240/9/53.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=power%20hibernate&rnk=7&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=WIN2000

thats Q240953 if you are MSKB/Technet-capable. Basically says that your BIOS is going to control how things wake up in the system, and can influence the way 2000 boots back up again. Hibernate has to "awaken" each piece of hardware, and depending on how your hardware responds to the sleep command in the first place will affect how it wakes back up. There's all sorts of different power levels that hardware can set itself too...there can be numerous things to look at here.

Assuming an "elephant" is roughly equal to a second, a minute boot isn't a bad thing...