Punching a Hole in the Wall (Siegfried Line/Westwall Op) AAR *SPOILER*

I played as germans, full fog of war, default scenario setup, no advantages either side.. on the first day I lost the town you were supposed to defend, both panthers and a bunch of pillboxes. I knocked out at least 10 allied tanks and killed many infantry though. That night I pulled back into defensive positions near the main town, and used one of the reinforcing squads with a STuG to attack into the town, I took the last three buildings in the town and held them.. no casualties.. The second day the Americans assaulted again, but with fire support from a 120mm mortar spotter, and bravery of my squads we held out, and destroyed several tanks and halftracks. Lost a stug though. That night Many reinforcements came in like Wespes and infantry, and I managed to infiltrate my infantry into the town I had lost during the first day.. the Allies didnt even know I was in until a Stug I had advanced up to a crossroads started firing into the rears of some Ami troops. They assaulted the town but didnt get anywhere and 105mm fire pounded their troops in the woods. No casualties..

On the next day, I massed all my armor including the new Mk IV's and the Tiger i received and launched a general attack. Over the course of the battle I lost most of my tanks including my Tiger, 2 Mk IV's, a Stug, and my Jagdpanther.. But I also crippled the Amis destroying the very last of their Armor and forcing their infantry into a pocket... They shortly thereafter surrendered...

Allies

301 Casualties (140 KIA)

1 Captured

3 Mortars Destroyed

41 vehicles knocked out

Men Ok:110

Axis

72 Casualties (29 KIA)

8 pillboxes knocked out

11 Vehicles knocked out

Men ok: 295

Axis Total Victory

Practice siting your pillboxes better. Set up a major "pillbox haven" on the hill in the middle of the map with great LOS..

First time I played this I ended up counter-attacking with my tanks and infantry into the Allied line after my pillboxes blasted their tanks apart.

I actually won the operation on the first battle after taking out about 20 vehicles and occupying the US starting positions. I lost 1 vehicle and about 30 men.

Guest Rommel22

Hey

Same here, I won the battle in he night. The first battle went very well for me as the Germans. I possitioned my Panther on the right side of the map (forgot what is norht and south sorry) and kept it hidden no matter what. My pillboxes and bunkers were the only thing in the front lines, exept 1 or 2 panzershrecks. Around the 12 turn all American armor was dead exept for some M3 halftracks.

The deciding point I think was not putting any armor or troops in the front line. If you got so many pilboxes as in this scenerio just leave those with some hiden shrecks and you got and nice anti-tank and anti-personal defense. If the enemy does get trough you have 90% of your mobile fighting force in reserve. The way I like it. Main thing, always put tanks as reserves. Never in front lines, Never.

When the night came, the Americans only had 2 halftracks and a platton of men. Those were all killed or captured by turn 10. That op. was fun.

---------------------------------------------

Break Something tonight!

Never use tanks on the front lines? Well, I won this one on the second battle (night) and used my tanks on the front lines, but kept them mobile. I positioned one Panther in the town in a hull-down spot and the other I would move occasionally from two spots in the town and into the group of three buildings (2 small and one large) on the right of the main town. Both Panthers did most of the damage... the 88 box was taken out fairly early on during the first battle by a lucky shot, but not before it had taken out a 105 and a Stuart. My main goal was to maintain the town and hold out for the reported reinforcements. At night, when the StuGs and the men arrived, I started a flanking maneuver on the left and ran into the Amis attempting the same thing... that skirmish ended fairly quickly, with most of the Amis dead and several captured. With them out of the way, the StuGs, 251/1s, and troops moved past my bunker line on the left and swept around the hill, hidden from the remaining Ami tanks and men that were attempting to assault the town itself. At the end i had 28 casualties (11 KIA) with 4 boxes nixed. The Amis had 195 casualties (91 KIA), 10 captured, 2 mortars destroyed, 24 vehicles down. I was actually kinda hoping this one would last the 6 turns so I could delve out more punishment wink.gif

------------------

In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased. An elevated spirit is weak and a low spirit is weak. Do not let the enemy see your spirit. -- M.M.