Dual-Channel memory capable motherboard...

I just recently upgraded my motherboard. The new motherboard, Chaintech Apogee 7NJL1, is dual-channel memory capable. Via the internet, I contacted the technical support folks and asked some pertinent questions regarding activating this feature. They told me I had to only use my RAM in two of the three slots, slots one and three, and the modules had to be the same brand/capacity/speed in order for the dual-channel to be enabled.

I don't have a problem with this scenario as all of my RAM is Kingston PC2700 512MB modules. The problem is that I have three of these DDR modules and in essence, I am losing 512MB of memory in order to enable this dual-channel DDR thing. I had to pull the module from slot two in order to activate this functionality.

I'm throwing this one out to the wonderful technical folks on the forum. Is this dual-channel thing worth going from 1.5GB down to 1GB of memory?

Thanks all.

go to pcmech.com forum, general hardware has a sticky on ram. i posted a q long ago about ddr2, the next money taker. there are a few things there about dual ddr.

i am concidering two 512s on an asus board. kingston etc have matched sets just for dual boards. i dont think i need more than that for what i do.

try newegg, crucial, and kingston websites too.

Originally posted by junk2drive:

go to pcmech.com forum, general hardware has a sticky on ram. i posted a q long ago about ddr2, the next money taker. there are a few things there about dual ddr.

i am concidering two 512s on an asus board. kingston etc have matched sets just for dual boards. i dont think i need more than that for what i do.

try newegg, crucial, and kingston websites too.

I looked at the forum that you posted. Thank you. In the thread that you mentioned, one of the posters asks a similar question that I had asked the Chaintech support, "Can I use all three modules and still maintain the dual channel mode?"

Chaintech support told me, "No". You can only use two of the three and those two had to be in slots one and three accordingly.

One of the posters in the thread that you pointed me to says that you can use all three slots and still have dual channel active.

Who's right?

two sticks afaik, thats why they sell them in matched pairs. you would need four slots and i dont think the os or the bios could handle it.

i still dont know if 1.5 three is slower than 1024 dual.

i thought the idea of dual ddr was not to have to buy three sticks. i could be wrong. still out of my price range now.

• 1 month later...

I'm bumping this one again for more input. Another question came to me when I was reviewing this thread. What is meant by matched pairs? Do you have to purchase the memory in matched pairs in order for dual DDR to be enabled or can I buy the same manufacturer, same speed, same memory capacity as individual modules?

Thanks