Update on installation issue!

Hello all,

We have confirmed, on our end, that there was a CMBB CD production problem of some sort. The good news is that this problem only affects a tiny percentage/number of CMBB customers. The bad news is that the problem rate, although small compared to total number shipped, is far larger than what an acceptable failure rate SHOULD be for a large CD run (with CMBO it was less than 1/10th of 1% for example!). This means that although only several dozen customers are adversely affected, it is several dozen customers that should have had zero problems.

We are still in the process of working with the replicator to confirm the problem as they only received samples today. It appears that the problem stems from specific models of CD-ROM drives not wanting to read the CD for a reason as of yet not determined. We tested a "bad" CD on two identical HP Pavillions and it failed on both CD-ROM drives *but* worked on both of their secondary CDR drives as well as a Dell system. From what we can tell you are either affected (in one of two ways) or you are fine and therefore should not expect any problems in the future.

OK, so how are we going to deal with this super fun issue? (note sarcasm smile.gif ) We are *still* working out the details because this is not a simple issue. We can not snap our fingers and get a new production run delivered instantly, which of course complicates the situation further. However, we should have things figured out by tomorrow. Just in case we have an new set of Gold Masters and artwork on the way to a back up replicator in order to increase our options.

For now our top priority is to help out the handful of customers who have a problem which prevents installation and playing the game at all (i.e. the download fix option doesn't work) This includes all Mac users that reported installer faults. To do this Charles burned a bunch of CDs late this afternoon and overnighted them to most of the people who are totally without the ability to play the game. If one was sent out to you will receive an email confirming this, otherwise you should get an email confirming a shipment tomorrow for Friday delivery. This is a temporary measure, but one that will get everybody up and running.

The solution for everybody else requires a new production run to be received in our warehouse. We won't know until tomorrow *when* this might happen since it is not a simple thing to get straightened out and is obviously not within our ability to control directly.

We know this sucks for the unlucky few, but we *will* resolve it successfully. To us it doesn't matter that the number of affected customers is small or large, just that there is a problem that needs fixing. We are are doing everything we can to get this issue resolved as soon as humanly possible. Thanks for hanging in there!

More info as it becomes available,

Steve and the rest of the gang

[ September 26, 2002, 08:34 AM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

I never had any doubts that BFC and BTS would come through. That should tell you volumes about how you have earned my trust over the last few years (pre-ordered CMBO!).

Also anyone who reads this or any related thread and has an urge to fly off the handle, please remember this to keep perspective.

NeverWinter Nights shipped without a proper import/export tool for models and skins and such. This was a planned event and the game designers promised to have a tool by mid August. It is late September and still no tool. Most if not all of the dedicated fanbase (read forum members on the NWN Forums) are up in arms.

BFC had no forewarning of this issue but has managed to resolve it or near resolve it in mere days, and in fact most of the partial install folks were taken care of in like 20 minutes temporarily!

Bioware (the designers of NWN) are very hush hush about the development of tools for their game and the reasons as to the lateness of the tools.

BFC has been constantly updating the threads and answering the requests of its customers and been totally honest.

On a sidenote BFC has shown more effort in 2-3 days for a tiny portion of it's fanbase than many other companies show for their entire fanbase over the life of a game!

Lastly, the BFC boys should be sitting back and drinking a cold one slapping each other on the back for a job well done. Take a couple of days off before working on the inevitable patch (except Kwazy who I demand to make models for the game until you bleed!) smile.gif

Instead they are working their asses off to make sure that we are satisfied asap. And before anyone says "DUH THAT IS EXPECTED I GAVE THEM MONEY AND I AM THE CUSTOMER AND BLAH BLAH BLAH" remember that few companies in todays world do what is "expected".

Just food for thought. Thanks again guys!

I just wanted to point out, for my own piece of mind, that my CD problem was a number of physical scatches on the CD and a puncture mark on the jacket. I don't know if mine would have intalled or not, I only got a small % of the way through the BMP file. I did see the strange milky areas on the CD.

This is freaking good service. The chief engineer sits down and burns a few CDs by hand. Can he sign them smile.gif ?

In case you count votes: I have a playable-with-download CD and I don't mind if the replacement takes some time, like - months. I can play now. I would only like to have a straightforward installable CD for later when CMBB (maybe smile.gif turns into a game that I only occasionally play.

I encounter an install error after WAV file# 91405.I could be wrong about the exact WAV file number so I'll confirm by posting with a screen capture of the install error. I am not nearly as concerned about the missings WAV files as I am about the fact that I have no scenario or campaign files. The game is completely playable otherwise. Please advise...

thank you,

Directive #21

Edited:

I hate when I post a question and find the answer

on the same page....I should be fired! Thanks to BTS

for the quick response on the install errors.

[ September 26, 2002, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: Directive#21 ]

Guest PondScum
Originally posted by redwolf:

This is freaking good service. The chief engineer sits down and burns a few CDs by hand. Can he sign them smile.gif ?

Yeah, in a year's time people are gonna be ending CMBB arguments with "Yeah? Well I got a CMBB CD hand-burned by the chief programmer, so there!"

Not only is my CD milky looking, I actually have a small plastic LUMP on the surface near the rim.

Believe it or not I still got it to install by running the install until it crashed, burning a copy of the CD (took 4x longer than normal) and then using that CD to install over the first one, then using the downloads provided in this forum to catch what was missing. It works!

I don't want to do it again though...

Guys,

A quick update for you all. The milky discoloration is, apparently, not an issue. And if it is, something else is probably causing worse problems, like a lumpy CD! Good lord :(

We are not asking for the return of any of the bad CDs, but PLEASE!! Keep a hold of them, especially if there are obvious PHYSICAL defects. We might need them as "evidence" if our original replicator tries to dodge responsibility. If we need samples from you guys we will ask for them and provide compensation for their return to our warehouse.

Thanks,

Steve

I've posted in the other thread and emailed webmaster@battlefront.com, including my order number. I have not had a response from them, which does and does not suprise me. They are customer oriented but are probably busy sorting this out.

My cd shows a few small scuffs, but nothing like the defects that have been described. They can have it back if they want it, but I might hold out for shipping AND a CM:BB snow globe! smile.gif

Originally posted by Nutt:

My copy of CMBB doesn't even get to the part where it starts extracting files. I e-mailed my info to BTS. Is there anything else that I need to do?

Did you try turning off any anti virus software you may have running. worked for me and a couple other people. You can safely turn antivirus back on after the install.

I think we should hold out for Steve to take every single person for a joy ride in an M29 Weasel.

Originally posted by 86smopuim:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Nutt:

My copy of CMBB doesn't even get to the part where it starts extracting files. I e-mailed my info to BTS. Is there anything else that I need to do?

Did you try turning off any anti virus software you may have running. worked for me and a couple other people. You can safely turn antivirus back on after the install.</font>

CaSCa,

You are probably on Matt's list, but if you want to double check you can send him an email at matt@battlefront.com. Nutt, if you emailed Matt already I would think you are OK as well. But you can email him as well just to double check.

For those of you with physical defects (dents, holes, etc)... email me at steve@battlefront.com. I would like to arrange for these CDs to "come home". And no, there is no blood in the waters yet. However, someone else is currently working on a replacement batch of CDs. Read into that what you will, but if you think this indicates that we don't screw around you'd be reading things right smile.gif

Steve

[ September 26, 2002, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: Battlefront.com ]

Steve,

mail to you comes back with a bounce, apparently I am in a spamfilter of yours which incorrectly assembles my From address (or you killfiled me smile.gif ).

I'll mail Matt.

EDIT: same for Matt's address. I am inclined to say your new spamfilter does not work right, the address I get rejected from is not the one I am sending from, the filter assembles it on its own behalf.

[ September 27, 2002, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: redwolf ]

Sorry if I missed this buried in the threads somewhere but, being one of those UK residents eagerly awaiting the game via a US forum member, IF (and I really, really hope not) it's one of the errant discs can the replacement be sent direct or will that have to go via US too?