CMBB gets runner up for game spy's game of the year

Originally posted by Stalin's Organ:

WTF do people keep calling this a strategy game??

Nice review of course, but the grog in me rebels at the continued inappropriate use of "strategy"!! :mad:

I could not agree more. I even sent an e-mail to the individual who wrote the thread and asked how is CMBO or CMBB as Strategy game.

In my oppinion CMBO & CMBB need there own classification.

at least they raved about it everytime they wrote about the game

they could of just as easily ignored CM altogether

i for one am glad they wrote a good review of it earlier this year and equally glad they gave it runner up

my bet, their winner for strat will be long forgotten in a year and CM will still be going strong smile.gif

[ December 26, 2002, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: easytarget ]

The trouble is I suppose they try to fit games neatly into recognised computer gaming categories and, perhaps understandably, don't give a hoot about 'technical' descriptions of 'strategy'. At least they don't categorise it at RPG or FPS.

It's a strategy game by definition?? I'd like to see what definition you're using then.

Let's see what a definition of Strategy turns up from an on-line dictionary (www.yourdictionary.com):

1/ The science and art of using all the forces of a nation to execute approved plans as effectively as possible during peace or war.

2/ The science and art of military command as applied to the overall planning and conduct of large-scale combat operations.

3/ A plan of action resulting from strategy or intended to accomplish a specific goal. See Synonyms at plan.

4/ The art or skill of using stratagems in endeavors such as politics and business.

It's not using "all the forces of a nation", it's not "large-scale combat operations", nor is CM a "plan of action resulting from strategy", although it might just squeeze into intending to "accomplish a specific goal".

Compare to "tactics" from the same source:

1/ a)(used with a sing. verb) The military science that deals with securing objectives set by strategy, especially the technique of deploying and directing troops, ships, and aircraft in effective maneuvers against an enemy: Tactics is a required course at all military academies.

B) (used with a pl. verb) Maneuvers used against an enemy: Guerrilla tactics were employed during most of the war.

2/ (used with a sing. or pl. verb) A procedure or set of maneuvers engaged in to achieve an end, an aim, or a goal.

So Rudee I think that tactical is clearly a better definition of CM than strategy.

[ December 26, 2002, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: Stalin's Organ ]

<<<snore>>>

Geez.

A major, 'mainstream' gaming site gave CMBB a massive thumbs-up.

That's great!

Why quibble over a comma when it's the entire paragraph that's important? I say it's a long-time coming; cheers to the Battlefront crew and their fine efforts over the past years.

And kudos to Gamespy to recognizing quality when they see it. Been under their collective noses all along.

CMBB: One game to rule them all.