Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

A Quick Visit -Brunval ( is there a Bug or not ? )

CM is in my CDRom for more than a week and I'm still learning and enjoying .After a few victories in tiny scenarios ( 3 Little Stuarts , the Tutorial and Combat ! ) I decided to try something a bit more difficult. My choice was "A Quick Visit-Brunval ".

I played the mission for the first time yesterday night . The first attempt was a total disaster .Until the Symbolized equipment's capture ( British flag on the building ), every thing went OK and smooth without being discovered , with most of my troops positioned South West of the Villa ( before capturing the Flag )...Trying to reach the British Exit zone was a different story and was looking like a tiny clone of the retreat of Napoleon's army from Russia , when behind any tree or bush a Cossack ( yelling in German ! ) is hiding and making my forces lighter and lighter every meter ( a real digital nightmare ! ) .

Well , I'm sure I'll find a way to succeed in the mission .The issue is that during my second attempt the British Flag appeared on the Villa before any of my men went into any building !!! . It was enough for my troops to approach very close without breaking in to get the British flag on the Villa .

--It looks like a bug to me ! I'm not really proud admit that my first reflex is a Gamey one --- to take advantage of this unrealistic* situation ( getting the equipment without getting into the building is of course unrealistic unless some German secretly gave me the equipment for money --joking ! )

Now seriously , do I have to "really" break in , as it is said in the briefing or is the British flag on the villa enough to simulate the successful capture of the equipment and may I withdraw to the beach ? Of course don't want to withdraw before " really" getting the flag ( in case it is a Bug ) .

--If the British flag disappears from the Villa and the German flag appears again , does that mean that the first part failed ( did a British traitor bring back the equipment for money ? - joking again ! )

* What's unrealistic, gamey or not , what is the right balance between real world and gaming ( after all CM is still a game and as realistic it may be and as good it simulates real world it is and will -- hopefully -- never be even close to the real stuff ) is an interesting discussion by itself .

Thanks .

Bruneval is a stretch, a far stretch to reach back beyond CMBO to give a little taste of commando combat.

Due to the limits of the game,Crockett, there were some things I could not do.

For example, I would like to make that flag changeable only when you have a unit in the building. Once it is changed, I would like for it to stay British.

But I can do neither. So here the human player must use his imagination and go beyond what the game requires.

To play fairly, he should have the Frost HQ unit enter the building before exiting it.

The Brits, if successful in exiting, will get enough points to offset the flag going back to German. Plus you can add 10 points to your score if you take it.

More than a "scoring game" (which is also gamey), it is a battle of skill. If you can take the building and exit most of your forces by the end of the battle, you have secured for yourself a decisive victory, no matter how the score reads (though if you have done this, you should still get a decent score).

The "trick" here is to get moving. With each turn, more Germans appear and move toward both the building and the exit hex to prevent you leaving.

Your reinforcements (the late arriving platoon) can give you some help on the flank and take a little of the heat off of your main force moving to the beach (exit hex).

It is a "pressure cooker," trying to keep your men moving, alive and knocking out any Germans that get in the way.

It can be done, but usually takes two plays to do it. Not many do it well the first time around.

Good luck and good hunting...Wild Bill

------------------