Mac G4 Psycedelic Display

Hey Guys, hope this sheds some light on the subject. I'm currently running CMBB on an iMac 350, G3 with the ATI Rage 128VR card without incident.

The only video problem I'm experiencing is that some of the resolution is so-so when covering the finest of detail, but other than that, all is good. Perhaps looking into the fact that my older model is able to handle the graphics and the change in architecture as opposed to the newer processors and drivers, is the way to approach this. What was "improved upon" may be the key.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by sturner:

The way to lose customers is to piss them off. Basic Business Rules 101.

AFAIK the card and drivers that are causing the problems are newer than CMBB, so it's not BFC's fault. It would be nice if they fixed it, but I imagine it would take a lot of effort for a small return.

This issue, together with assorted other mac problems, pressure from work, and a general concern over Apple, has caused me - after 15 years of daily mac use - to sell my mac and buy a PC. I am half ashamed, and half liberated.

:(:D :eek: :confused:

[ March 19, 2003, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: tecumseh ]

I had the same problem with the psychodelic glitchy graphics and Combat Mission, and also the CMBB demo with my custom G4 dual 1.25 gig/Radeon 9000 Mac that I bought in November 2003. (I bought it before I really "needed" a new computer because I use many non-OS X programs and after January any new professional-level Mac wouldn't boot into OS 9.x).

I was also experiencing other problems with the ATI Radeon 9000 graphics card, the main one being that it didn't offer the refresh rates (although my monitor could handle them, and I tested it on other monitors) that ATI and Apple claimed. After I finally got Apple tech support to admit that, no, it didn't produce decent refresh rates (I get migraines from the flickering at under 80 Hz) at higher resolutions, no matter what the specs were, I still couldn't get them to allow me to return it for credit towards the NVidia Geforce 4 Ti (which I could have ordered when I got the computer). Different drivers made no difference for any of the problems.

So I ended up spending a small fortune on the NVidia card, installed it, and everything seems to work fine now (knock, knock). Combat Mission is playing fine and so is the CMBB demo (haven't yet gotten the full game, but I suspect it will work, too). Also, COmbat Mission worked fine on my old computer, a G4 500 with a ATI Radeon Mac edition 32 MB graphics card, so it seems the problem is the Mac Radeon 9000.

My advice is to install a different graphics card if you can afford to. Like I said, the NVidia GeForce 4 Ti seems to work fine, although I seem to recall seeing posts here saying the Geforce MX might have some other problems.

Jude

[ March 21, 2003, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: Jude ]

• 3 weeks later...

G4 450 PPC, replaed old video card (which worked fine for THIS game) with new ATI 9000 Pro Mac Edition. Now I have a psychadelic display and a game I can't play. BUT.... here is the fix, get a cheap PCI card and throw it in a slot. I did this with a second monitor (but you could use the same one), and i can play. Thew only downside is I can't get the diplay resolution above 640x480. If anyone hears of another real fix I would love to know. I have a friend who is also in the same boat.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Jarmo:

Has anyone tried removing all graphics card specific extensions on OS9 booting mac with psychedelic display?

That should force the game into software mode and working, although painfully slow graphics..

Good question

I don't have one to test on right now. :(

-tom w

After watching this thread and posting to it over the last several months it appears that the following sad truths are evident:

1)Apple is not doing anything about this issue

2)ATI is not doing anything about this issue

3)The games creator is not doing anything about this issue

Which adds up to NO ONE is doing anything about this issue.

I must say I find this very disheartening. I have enjoyed many many hours of great gameplay overthe past few years but it looks as if that is over now. In addition I will not be purchasing any more games from this company. While I don't blame them for doing nothing about this issue; there are to few people affected, it would cost to much to do it, it can't be fixed, etc., I would hope that they would take notice of the fact that they will be losing all their Mac customers in the future as people buy new machines. Again this may be of little consequence to battlefront, lets face it, we Mac users are to small a slice of the pie for them to stand up and get involved in trying to help us out. $'s talk, Macs walk.

Again i want to stress that there are no hard feelings on my part, I am just very bummed that it looks like this is the end.

If anybody hears of a real fix to the issue please let me know at: czara@attbi.com

Thanks again battlefront for the good times.

• 1 month later...

It is not that we do not want to do anything to resolve this issue, the fact is that due to how the problem is manifesting itself, being a core driver fault occuring with a specific system config, there is nothing we CAN do to code around it.

We have contacted ATI about the issue as well as Apple but to date neither has done anything positive to rectify the issue.

We do post a warning on our order page for Mac users with a 9000 series video card detailing this issue.

If any new info comes out I will update this thread.

Madmatt

Originally posted by Madmatt:

It is not that we do not want to do anything to resolve this issue, the fact is that due to how the problem is manifesting itself, being a core driver fault occuring with a specific system config, there is nothing we CAN do to code around it.

We have contacted ATI about the issue as well as Apple but to date neither has done anything positive to rectify the issue.

We do post a warning on our order page for Mac users with a 9000 series video card detailing this issue.

If any new info comes out I will update this thread.

Madmatt

THanks Matt

it is now my assumption that APPLE could not care LESS about this issue

ATI doesn't give a flying crap either

the game developers and the Mac gameing mailing list all laughed at me when I posted the problem.

No one at all really gives a flying F@%! about this issue.

:( sad but true.

The 800 mHz 15 inch dual boot TiBook is the best bet as it is known to work

AND the first generation 17 inch iMacs with the LCD screen (also 800 mHz G4's I believe) also work.

The newer stuff will never work if you can't boot into OS 9 and even some that can boot into OS 9 don't work because the video drivers are not coded correctly for RAVE.

:(

-tom w

As an interesting side effect of the launch of the G5 systems,

The prices of G4 systems are wayyyy down.

Check Apple store and: Power mac G4, only the OS9 compatible systems seem to remain.

Starting at $1299, a system with GF4Ti comes to $1499!!!

And $1799 configured with dual 1,25Ghz and GF4Ti!!!

Not as sexy as the new G5 ones, but these would CM...

Originally posted by Jarmo:

As an interesting side effect of the launch of the G5 systems,

The prices of G4 systems are wayyyy down.

Check Apple store and: Power mac G4, only the OS9 compatible systems seem to remain.

Starting at $1299, a system with GF4Ti comes to $1499!!!

And $1799 configured with dual 1,25Ghz and GF4Ti!!!

Not as sexy as the new G5 ones, but these would CM...

OK But is the GF4Ti video card going to work with CMBB/CMAK?? :confused: :confused:

is anyone running CMBO or CMBB on a dual 1,25Ghz and GF4Ti right now?

can I see some screen shots???

CMBB on a dual 1.25 gHz G4 must be SMOKING fast! compared to the 400 mHz G3 PB I am on now :(

-tom w

I have been searching the archives of tech support for a positive word on ibooks, but haven't yet been to the right place yet, apparently.

I have been playing CBBO on an old 300 MHz G3 blue & white, but would like to upgrade. I was looking at the ibooks, and understand that the hard drive would have to be partitioned and boot up in OS 9. (Not a problem, I'm no devotee of OS X!) But before I plunk down $$$ I would like to know if the machine will run CBBO.

Anyone running CBBO on the 800-900 G3 ibook with the ATI Radeon 7500 32 MB graphics? If nothing that Apple sells currently will do it, I may just switch to the dark side... :(

J.Taylor... i have a 12" 800mhz iBook i bought in Feb of this year...it has the Radeon 7500 with 32MB VRAM , upgraded 40Gig HD and 640MB of RAM ( bought a stick of 512 from OWC ) and its way nippy compared to my old 333mHz iMac tongue.gif

It runs fine and dandy with both CMBO and CMBB.....fog effects and all smile.gif

If you are going to get one..the new 900mHz one looks the biz as its video memory is now DDR compared to my SDR for the Radeon.

Go get her :D

regards

MÃ¥kjager

[ July 08, 2003, 03:33 AM: Message edited by: MÃ¥kjager ]

Well..I figured out a way to play CM on a G4 w/ Radeon.

You must have a OS9 Bootable G4, Classic will not work.

Really simple actualy, just disable all your Card extensions (The ATI labeled ones). Restart, and tada, the game will play without crazy colors in software mode.

The problem- It is ugly. I did not notice any speed issues, it seemed very snappy and good frame rates on my 867 MDD, but it only plays at 640x480.

If someone could figure out how to play at 1024x768 w/ software, it would not be so bad.

Anyhoo..I am gonna yank my old Voodoo3 out of my Beige G3 and see if I cant get CM to play off of that.

Originally posted by MÃ¥kjager:

J.Taylor... i have a 12" 800mhz iBook i bought in Feb of this year...it has the Radeon 7500 with 32MB VRAM , upgraded 40Gig HD and 640MB of RAM ( bought a stick of 512 from OWC ) and its way nippy compared to my old 333mHz iMac tongue.gif

It runs fine and dandy with both CMBO and CMBB.....fog effects and all smile.gif

If you are going to get one..the new 900mHz one looks the biz as its video memory is now DDR compared to my SDR for the Radeon.

Go get her :D

regards

MÃ¥kjager

Thanks for the news, I bought it Saturday, and it has been heaven ever since playing without quirks. I plan on upping the RAM soon, but no complaints for the moment running it in OS 9.

Originally posted by muzein:

Really simple actualy, just disable all your Card extensions (The ATI labeled ones). Restart, and tada, the game will play without crazy colors in software mode.

Cool, I thought that might work, but couldnt test it.

(not having suitable hardware)

Anyhoo..I am gonna yank my old Voodoo3 out of my Beige G3 and see if I cant get CM to play off of that.

I'm almost certain it wont work. Voodoo drivers dont seem to

be OS9 compatible, while G4's are not compatible with less.

• 4 months later...