Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

GAME LIMITS

My purpose is to protest about opponents who evade game limits. I just played a game in which the rule was no heavy tanks. (Panthers OK). This individual attacked with a Jadgtiger; which promply marched through my lines destroying everything in its path(a 17lber bounced). My argument is that no tigers means no Jadgtigers. vehicles (the heavest unit in the game). His argument is its not a tank. Dear Abby, who is correct.

I suppose it's best to phrase the rule "no heavy AFVs", but anyone who is going to split hairs in that fashion and play a "game of words" is not worth playing a second time in my opinion.

A JagdTiger is a heavy tank. Call it a tank, a TD, an AFV, or whatever. Any way you try to "disguise" it... it's a heavy.

Sounds like he's a prat. Dont play him.

Or if he does and is always that predictable, load up on anti-tank measures. Plenty of 17pders with a few fireflies, a couple of vet+ 6pders with the T rounds and enough PIATs to sink a battleship and it should suitably ruin his day.

Failing that go asymetric and counter using massed infantry. Not so effective agasint tigers as they have lots of shells but some of those big TDs dont have many HE shells in their loadout and only a single MG. So attack the bugger with an equivelent points cost of infantry (ideally with demo charges) and see what he does then

Every weapon system in CM has a counter, whether it is another weapon system or game parameters. Something as powerful as a 300+ point Jagdtiger can be rendered useless by a simple 15 point AT mine field. Or worse, Mud, which works even better since it covers the entire map and doesn't cost the defending player any points.

Let your friend choose whatever he wants in the next game, but you insists on choosing the game parameters.

You're playing a rules lawyer, someone who twists the words of the rules, ignoring the spirit of the rules. These people do this because they can't win in a fair fight.

For your next match, use detailed rules for game limits.

Here's Redwolf's rules:

http://schlepper.hanse.de/redwolf/armorrules/

and here's Fionn's:

http://www.rugged-defense.nl/cm/Fionn/FionnKellyBFRules.htm

There's a bit to read there, but it's quite clear as to what you can and can't take.

Phemur

To me, a heavy tank would include anything you can purchase in the "armor" category. Your friend is a cheating weasel. Having said that I would definately play this person again. He sounds very predicatable. I just got done playing a guy who likes to buy heavies. Personally, I liked seeing that big 'ol Jadgpanther come over the hill. It means thats all he has for armor. I concentrated everything I had on it. A Jackson, a Stuart, and a 57mm AT gun all opened fire. Over the next two turns I got multiple hits. Every single shot ricocheted but I immobilized him and damaged the gun. Then the crew abandoned it. Use his predictability against him.

Maybe the limitations should be made using the gun calibers as a reference rather than the vehicles.

If you don't want heavy veicles on the game just say "no vehicles with guns over 76mm". That removes Tigers, King Tigers, other heavy AFVs or even heavy AT guns, but Panthers still would do and so would late war Shermans.

[ July 14, 2003, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: Incoming9000 ]