Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Trouble connecting via tcp/ip

I've tried to play a tcp/ip game, and wasn't able to connect. I'd punch in my opponent's address, and CM would return Error: Cannot connect to specified IP address. Nor could my opponent connect to me when I tried to host. I'm running Win 98SE, connecting to the internet via a 3Com Megahertz ethernet card and my university's network, no firewall.

Any ideas? I have this sucka waiting for a beatdown, you see... smile.gif

------------------

Grand Poobah of the fresh fire of Heh.

I'm nearly certain that I'm not connected through a firewall, as I've used a telnet client which, IIRC, doesn't connect through firewalls at all. In addition, I've played other multiplayer games with no hitch. I'll double check, but I'm reasonably sure that's not the problem.

------------------

Grand Poobah of the fresh fire of Heh.

Guest Madmatt

Make sure and enter the leading zeroes in any IP address you enter. For some it doesn't seem to matter, for other people once they did that they were able to connect.

ALso when are you getting this error? Is it immedidtaely saying this or does it take a few seconds?

Also telnet and directtplay tcp use different ports so just cause you can telnet does not mean the university is not blovking the port required to play. CM requires TCP/IP port 7023 be open to connect.

Madmatt