Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

AA guns, what are they good for?

Originally posted by Pak_40_Gunner[11b]:

Sorry for being new ...

Don't apologise for being new. Apologise for ripping someone elses' nick ;)

are there planes in this game?
Yes

There seems to be a lot of AA guns, what are they used for?
The smaller ones (20mm/37mm) engage aircraft when/if they appear. The larger ones (88mm / 90mm) can't engage aircraft, but generally do a mean number on tanks.

I bet they kick ass against infantry.
Yup smile.gif

Be cool

JonS

Yes, indeed. . . Anti-Aircraft guns are for shooting at aircraft. :rolleyes: Although I do find that their function in this role is sketchy at best. Rarely will you shoot down an enemy plane. Instead, as I understand it, the presence of AA can distract enemy's aircraft and keep it from doing its job effectively. I do find, however, that smaller caliber AA works VERY well against targets on teh ground. Just the other day, I played a game iin which my soviet 37mm shot up a number of Pz IIIs, a couple ACs and tagged a few inf. as well. The key to this, as with all artillery pieces, is PLACEMENT. Find your weapon a nice, cozy spot to camp in.

Ah. . . I was a newbie once. . . redface.gif

Anyway. . . I guarantee that you will enjoy this game. :D

Just had a KV-1 (in a small December 41 game :mad: ) immobilized by one. I never spotted the gun (extreme fog of war) during the game, it sat their with one crew casulty from sound contact area fire after its ammo was completely spent. In retrospect I think the game would have been more satsfying if I sent down one of my two infantry companies to get these bastards.

If you are in for some fun then play them in CMBO where the hit probablity is insane and any penetration has like a 80% knockout chance.