Russian tanks of WWII (book)

Abbott

Abbott,

I got it yesterday and have had a quick look and like what I see. It has 170+ pages, lots of b&w photos and some profile drawings of all the tanks, in 9 chapters one of which is dedicated to the T34. Many tank books are quite light on text, but not this one.

Do you have any specific questions about the content of the book? Any special things you'd like to know if the book has or mentions?

Originally posted by Viceroy:

Abbott,

I got it yesterday and have had a quick look and like what I see. It has 170+ pages, lots of b&w photos and some profile drawings of all the tanks, in 9 chapters one of which is dedicated to the T34. Many tank books are quite light on text, but not this one.

Do you have any specific questions about the content of the book? Any special things you'd like to know if the book has or mentions?

Ahh, thanks. however I have 2 copies, if some interest was shown I was going to let one copy go here on the forum for $18.00 (us) plus poatage, about $3.00 more.

I recommend "Russian Tanks and Armored Vehicles 1917-1946, an Illustrated Reference" by Wolfgang Fleischer if you can find it. It's got a few of pics with erronous duplicate captions but the history, info and pics are quite good. Some very rare.

-john

I'd like to suggest that you hunt down a copy of John Milsom's RUSSIAN TANKS 1917-1970. Though not the last word by any means on technical and engineering matters, this is more than offset by the breadth of coverage, hordes of pictures (many quite rare), data tables, strong bibliography and the extensive commentary on the theory and practice of Soviet armored warfare, in terms of phases during the war and in terms of how they fought, including the SUs and tank descents. Being somewhat dated, the book does not reflect the latest archival discoveries. At the time it was written, though, it was on par with Chamberlain and Ellis on British and American tanks and Von Senger und Etterlin on the German tanks.

Regards,

John Kettler