Can engineers blow buildings?

Sounds like something for a future iteration of CM (2? II?), but it seems like it should be pretty easy. Program it so that when an engineer squad is told to area target a building, it comes up with the prompt "Use demo charge? (Y/N)" similar to when telling a tank to area target; when the building is destroyed, the target order when then be canceled, just as with a tank.

That's my $0.02.

[ 08-23-2001: Message edited by: redeker ]

Before demanding this ability, we should consider several factors:

*how much explosives are needed to drop a regular sized house?

*how much time is needed to set this up? I believe it involves more than simply throwing a satchel into the living room; load-bearing walls have to be targeted etc.

*If proper time is not available, does this raise the amount of explosives required?

*how much explosives will an engineer squad carry?

*how much time will be available to run around setting charges on load-bearing walls etc?

To clarify, I didn't intend that throwing the DC would automatically bring down a building (although it might very well do that for a small light one). I just wanted the ability to tell the engineers "try to take out that building".

Hmmm, maybe this could be the beginning of expanded engineer targetting. I'm not sure how "smart" the LOS/targetting tool is, but it would sure be nice to have a context-specific Y/N choice come up when using engineers.

For example, you tell an engineer to area target a building - it should ask "use demo charge Y/N". You tell an engineer to area target some adjacent wire - it should ask "attempt to clear wire Y/N". You area target adjacent mines - it should ask "attempt to clear mines Y/N". In short, it would be nice to gain the capability to tell the engineers to perform specific "engineer-only" tasks within the game.

Having served with a Ranger battalion and an Airborne Battalion... blowing up anything was the norm. It doesn't have to be difficult. I hate seeing all those satchel charges going to waste.

The computer should not figure it for you. It might take some attempts but finally I'd know three charges should do the trick.

What about tanks? Blindspots last spot last ditch efforts would be great.

Bunker clearing... no problem. Boom!!

i know that in CM2 we will be able to use the demo charges to blow holes inbetween two rowhouses. this will be so that you can move inbetween without going outside in the cold.

but, it can be really frustrating to see you pricey engineers throw those nice explosives at a jeep or a zook! PLEASE let there be a way for us to control them in CM2. not being able to control fausts is one thing, but why not tell a unit to run up to a building/pillbox, plant the charge and take off!? isnt that how they did it?

at anyrate, IMO this could give those nice little engineers some more uses than cannon fodder! smile.gif

just ran a test:

by using antipersonnel minefields you can simmulate this. like my bridge demo method (see faq link inmy sig), put enemy AP minefields where a house will be, then put the house on it. have a "sacrifice unit" run over the mines in the house to reveal them. get engineers close to it, and they will start tossing demo packs.

i tested this on some buildings:

2 packs needed light house

3 packs needed heavy house

4-5 packs tall light house

(those demos are POWERFUL)

[ 08-25-2001: Message edited by: russellmz ]

• 2 weeks later...

Well the only way I can figure out that you can get an engineer to blow a building is if its already occupied by an enemy and then resolved as a close assault. I had that done to more than a plt that got busy pinning down the VL by fire while then being flank assaulted by several squads(partial) of Engineers, them all throwing their satchels into the building at once...BOOM! It was really quite impressive, although at that point the game changed hands, from his to his. smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chad Harrison:

i know that in CM2 we will be able to use the demo charges to blow holes inbetween two rowhouses. this will be so that you can move inbetween without going outside in the cold.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm pretty sure BTS said mouseholing would not be included in CM2. Something to do with the engine's inability to deal with different levels of damage to each wall in a building.