1948 Independence war (israel)

oren_m

I found this site while looking for BTR-152s

IDF Modeling

This page has a list of members models that you can view. Assuming they used reference materials for their colour schemes, I think I am on the right track with a creamy tan. I downloaded or had all the bicolour CMBB Axis mods. I think they will do well for some scenarios. Looks like some things were left green, and some were brown tone tri colours.

The latest Axis mods from Patboy and Gautrek with worn tan over black give the impression of repainted grau and green WWII equipment.

If I can make a BTR from a HT or Scout car I will post a pic.

• 1 month later...

I played SB Mandelbaum Gate as the Israelis. I scored a total victory (96% or so), losing only nine casualties, three dead.

SPOILERS BELOW

The Israelis have too much barbed wire. I moved the wire out from the edge of the city to a point roughly 80 m out in the fields. I had enough wire to string across the entire map. My sharpshooters easily detected the Arab thrust and I was able to shift my forces to meet it. The Arabs got to the wire and died horrible deaths to my MGs and mortar. My sharpshooters buttoned up all enemy ACs and my unbuttoned ACs were able to shoot and scoot and destroy all of the enemy ACs. I lost one, but by that time the Arabs were so demoralized that theye never even bothered moving up their guns, which I assume were reserves.

Either reduce the amount of wire or make it non-placeable. Also, one of the buildings has a non-placeable minefield inside it.

Hi Web

Thanks for the review if you have time I'd appreciate it being placed at SD.

It was designed that way. To put a minefield (booby traps) inside a building it requires it to be non-placeable - no other way to be true to the historical event.

In the actual battle the Israelis could move the wire - what is impossible to allow is that the exit and entry points were necessary to allow the Israelis to attack - which they did later. So from a design point of view either one recreates the wire barrier as the Israeli had or one doesn't.

Can you then move and make an impenetrable wire wall? Yep but as you found - its not much fun. I went for a historical recreation not a scenario imprevious to tactical innovation.

oh yes one other point, in the briefing it states:

"It is not recommended for play as the Israelis (Axis) against the AI (Allies)."

I recommend you try it from the Jordanian side.

[ January 26, 2005, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: Hans ]

Didn't matter what you wrote - I was going to play the Israelis first. ;)

Actually, I did leave lanes through the wire, but not on purpose - just through forgetting to rotate a few pieces. I had three slanted lanes open in the middle, just south of the vineyard. The Arabs never found it, though. They sent all infantry to the hill, which I had TRPed and mined pretty extensively.

Say, how about a scenario of half a brigade of infantry and four aircraft against 500 ACs and light tanks? Call it, oh, Ad Halom. ;)

Originally posted by Webs:

oren: http://www.dragonlair.net/combatmission/review03.php?UniqueID=82&Name=Small+Battles%2C+Mandelbaum%27s+Gate&g=10

By the way, Hans - the file description at the page above says best played as Axis vs. AI. Since the israelis are the Axis, maybe that needs to be changed....

Thanks for catching that Web I have made the change

Originally posted by oren_m:

Hey Hans!

Say, why dont you make some Six-day war

(June 1967) battles?

If you'll need some data about the issue i'll be glad to help, i have a good book about the war, it was printed one year after it in 1968, so it have many maps and photographs from the war.

Hi oren_m

I find that you need the CMBB Soviet equipment for that, CMAK is good for 1948 to 1956 plus I have done some early sixties.

In case you missed them the AIW ones are

Small Battles Notre-Dame (fight in Jerusalem)

Small Battles Jaffa 1948 (war of Independence)

Small Battles Retailation (sixties counter-terrorism raid

Small Battles Towers to Allah 1969 (Israeli raid on the Nile river infrastructure)

Small Battles Block at El-Arish 1956

The Small Operation Abu Agueila 1956

Also one set in Oman in 1972

Small Operations Mirbat, Oman SAS