1948 Independence war (israel)

oren_m

Originally posted by oren_m:

Hello and shalom everyone!

I have'nt been here for a whole lot of time, and now i'm back!

I would like to know where i could find battles of the 1948 war in israel's early days, especially in the egyptian front.

Thanks,

Oren.

Howdy Oren

Yep I've done a few with lots more planned. Please tell me you have a Hebrew source for maps!

SO, Abu Agueila, 1956

SB, Mandelbaum’s Gate

SB, Notre-Dame

SB, Retaliation

SB, Block at El-Arish 1956

And maybe this one too

Small Operations, Mirbat, Oman SAS

In the works are;

The battle of the thirty five (need a map)

Raid on the Arab village of Sasa

Netiva's bomb

Kibbutz Mishmar Ha'amek

Kastel

2-3 scenarios on Latrun

Haifa city fight

Israeli attack on Saudi irregualrs in 48 war

Jaffa (British tanks vs Irgun)

Kibbutz Kfar Darom

Etizon Block

Yad Mordecai

Ramat Rachel

Hill 69

Degania

Jebel Ataqah

Kalkiliya Police raid (Qalikiya)

Karameh

Other Arab consideration are the Egyptian vs Yemen front and Libya vs Chad

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For anyone interested in this part of history, I have upload a flag and last seen icon pack.

AIW Flags and last seen icons for post WWII Middle East conflict scenarios. Thanks to Flags of the World website. Generic Arab flags and icons for Axis. White and blue six pointed star flag for Allies (USA BRIT).

Warning, may be censored in some regions of the world.

Back up your files. Use with McMMM

Hans has done some Mid East scenarios with Arab countries as Brits and the opponent as Axis. You may renumber the bmps to make your own version.

In 56 the Egyptions had Archer 6 and 17 Pdr AT guns, Sherman III's (75mm) maybe some Firefly and the infantry were euiped at Brit WW2 (uniforms and weapons). they were also getting some Soviet equipment, mainly T34/85 and SU-100. the inf were mainly like a Brit Inf Bn (including carriers),. They were starting to receive some Soviet stuff but this hadn't changed the fundimental structure much, unlike by 67 when it was mostly Soviet.

The Israeli's had a real mix, mainly Shermans (75mm, US 76mm, French 76mm) and M3 HT's and White scout cars, but lots of other "stuff", whatever they could buy from the scrap market in Italy and France.

Cheers

Rob

Hello everybody!

Say hans, when will your new maps will be ready?

I have just read a book about the independence war and I cant wait playing some of the battles.

The book is about the Egyptian front, so i'm waiting for hill 69, yad mordechai, battle for negba and so on.....

Hope you'll have it soon!

Also, if anyone has the old Avalon Hill classic 'Arab-Israeli Wars' (the third generation, much-improved game, using the 'Panzerblitz' system), you'll find a LOT of useful information on TOEs and scenario ideas.

I had some great fun with this game when I was in college and converted a lot of D&D saddos to board wargame junkies ;). Thus, although Israeli scenarios hold little appeal using the CM engine, this game holds a special place in my heart...

I added another flag pack at cmmods

AIW Flags and last seen icons for post WWII Middle East conflict scenarios. Thanks to Flags of the World website. Generic Arab flags and icons for Allies (USA and Brit). White and blue six pointed star flag for Axis (German and Italian).

Warning, may be censored in some regions of the world.

Back up your files. Use with McMMM

PICTURE is from the other mod, this zip is numbered in the correct order.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Panzertwat:

Also, if anyone has the old Avalon Hill classic 'Arab-Israeli Wars' (the third generation, much-improved game, using the 'Panzerblitz' system), you'll find a LOT of useful information on TOEs and scenario ideas.

I had some great fun with this game when I was in college and converted a lot of D&D saddos to board wargame junkies ;). Thus, although Israeli scenarios hold little appeal using the CM engine, this game holds a special place in my heart...

Do you still have that game? If so I have some questions...

I found this interesting in relation to CM battles:

"The Syrian attack on Degania A and Degania B began at dawn of 20 May 1948. The main objectives of the Syrian advance were the Jordan river bridges north of Degania A. After shelling the center of kibbutz by mortars and tank guns which continued even during the fights. An integrated Syrian force comprised of tanks, armored cars and infantry attacked the defense position at the outer perimeter of Degania A. They forced the defenders, 70 in number, out of their positions and into the communication trenches. Some of the Syrian tanks and armored vehicles were able to advance close to and eventually penetrate the kibbutz fence. But they were stopped by 20 mm cannons, Piat antitank shells and Molotov cocktails. One Renault 35 tank which penetrated into the kibbutz was attacked by Molotov cocktails and hand grenades . It remains in the kibbutz till today as a monument."

Renault 35s and Piats, grenades, 20mm, (molotovs and tanks thread is in CMBB section)

Full history at israeli-weapons dot com

I made a black commando uniform for an upcomming scenario. At cmmods.

I'm planning to use the captured Renault tanks for the Syrians - I have a lot of info on this battle except for a diagram (I have a 1:50,000 of the area) of the Kibbutz itself.

Have an interesting (in Arabic) news item from a Damascus newspaper two days after the attack - their description of the Kibbutz makes it sound like a Maginot line fort!

Virtually every link I have to Degania ends up being blocked by the UAE's security proxy - they tend to block any Israel websites! - still workin' this problem.

• 2 weeks later...