Slow Boot-Up...

Originally posted by Frenchy:

As a thought go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, then choose event viewer. Then click application and see if you have any warnings during boot up. You might be able to narrow the problem. I found that my back up dial up modem was crapped out by using the above method. Reloaded the drivers and no more warnings on boot. Still hasn't completely cured my slow boot problem but I am getting closer. I'll know tonight and will post my findings.

SUCCESS! This was the key. Not only did I see potential problems under Application but also under System in the event viewer. There were several services that were taking a long time to boot up. I looked for those services and found that I had them set to Manual load. I set them to AUtomatic and gave that a try. No luck. Then I went back in and Disabled those services. SUCCESS! 45-50 Second Boot-Up. Thanks Frenchy. This immediately showed me what services were not coming up quickly. The problem services in my case were Symantec Event Manager and Symantec Password Validation. Everything else was coming up immediately except these two services.

Thanks to all who posted. To those of you still having a problem, take a look at Frenchy's post and see what services are delayed in coming up. If you can stand to disable those services your boot-up might just be positively affected.

God Bless!

Ok, thanks for the bump there Jack. Just got back from a road trip to my hometown Detroit, go wings. Saw the first playoff game against Nashville too, awesome game. :D

Anyways, i found the problem, thanks a ton Frenchy, had no idea about that nifty feature. Its the ASPI32 drivers, which i think has something to do with burning cds. Heres what it says in the description:

"The following boot-start or system start drivers failed to load:

ASPI32"

Now what do i do to fix these drivers?

[ April 09, 2004, 03:02 AM: Message edited by: MeatEtr ]

ASPI32 is a SCSI driver. Typically it should only be necessary if you have a SCSI device (hard drive, CD/DVD drive, scanner, etc.). However I've seen it included and installed with CDROM burning programs (such as Adaptec/Roxio's Easy CD). Do you have some older version of a CD burning program installed currently ?

Though this Microsoft Knowledgebase article is geared towards Windows 2000, it may apply to Windows XP too. Basically disabling the ASPI32 'service' from the Device Manager should keep it from loading up. However this may affect a device that you use (possibly infrequently or not at all anymore) or it could affect your CD burning program.

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Do you have some older version of a CD burning program installed currently?

No, i only use and have is Nero, at least thats what i thought. I just uninstalled "HighMAT Extension to MS WinXP CD Writing Wizard". My f*cking brother must of installed it at xmas time without me knowing about it. He's a cd burning junkie, me, i hardly ever use it.

Anyways, ive booted up twice since i uninstalled this and it boots up fine now. Back to a lightning fast boot up, thank god. But ive also noticed that im still getting the same error in the system log. So since apparently i don't need these drivers to boot up because it always fails to load anyway. Im trying to disable the ASPI service in the Device Manager, but can't seem to find it. Where can i disable this? Probably my final question.

Thanks for your help Schrullenhaft.

The above linked Microsoft Knowledgebase article actually explains how to do it for Windows 2000 and it should probably be the same for XP. Go to your Device Manager listing and in the View menu select "show hidden devices". You'll then see a group (usually marked with the 'gray diamond') labelled 'Non-Plug and Play Drivers'. Expand this listing and look for 'Aspi32' (listed alphabetically) and right-click on it. Select 'Properties' from the right-click menu and then click the 'Driver' tab and go to the 'Startup' section and on the down-arrow selector select 'Disabled' and click 'OK'. These are instructions for Windows 2000 and I believe that they mostly hold up for Windows XP too.

On your next boot the ASPI32 service should not load and thus it's searching for a SCSI device shouldn't hold up your boot.

Silly me, guess i got too excited about my pc booting up faster that i must of missed that in your link. I disabled it and now have no errors.

Thanks again Schrullenhaft for the help. Also, thanks to Frenchy on the heads up about using the "Administrative Tools" feature and thanks to Jack Carr for starting the thread.(i feel like ive won an award or something) Certainly have gotten good usage from this thread. smile.gif

[ April 09, 2004, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: MeatEtr ]