Movies Movies Movies!!!!!

Originally posted by flamingknives:

Working panzers are very rare - I can't think of a film with a real Panzer in it. At least some use actual German halftracks (or similar derivative) rather than M3s

Years ago on late night tv I caught the last twenty minutes or so of a movie I think is called "The Battle of the River Drava" or something like that. It was set in Yugoslavia and concerned fighting between the Germans and Partisans late in the war. The Soviets must have gotten into it somehow too because I remember some T-34/76s. I recall Orson Wells was one of the stars.

The reason I bring this up is that I was astonished to see what looked very much like an authentic working Tiger in it. There were also some obviously faked German tanks as well, but in this one scene it looked very real to me at the time. I'd love to see this flick again, all the way through this time, because it looked like a good flick, but also to check and see if I was right about that Tiger.

Michael

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The modern remake of Sahara is appaling

The M3 is playing the part of a German halftrack, although it does have an MG42 mounted.

The Germans are portrayed as tacticless savages whose default attack mode is "human wave".

The original is a far better film on almost every level, including the chance to predict when and how the next member of the team cops it.

i remember a french film ,called "La neige et le feu" (Snow and fire ) who used authentic panzers , coming directly from Musée des blindés of Saumur : a Panther and a tiger B( running !) , and some half tracks and shermans (dont remember the type)

it's the story of 2 friends from Paris, into free french forces , 2d Armored Division :confused: ,who were engaged in heavy fighting in Alsace ,near Strasbourg .

Sorry for my poor english ,im french too :D

Originally posted by Alfatwosix:

I recently saw one with Michael Caine. Basically they were sent behind German lines to blow up a fuel depot....

Spoiler allert! They end up being shot by the British troops in the cofusion of the street battle around Tobruk...

Darned, can't remember the name of the movie now...

It was mentioned a bit earlier in the thread, the movie you are thinking of is "Play Dirty."

A few other desert warfare movies for the list are:

"Raid on Rommel" starring Richard Burton, and M48s standing in for Panzers. Commandos allow themselves to be captured so they can then take over the prisoner convoy and discover and destroy Rommels secret fueling depot.

"Five Graves to Cairo" starring the director/producer Erich von Stroheim as Rommel. A wounded British soldier cutoff from his lines disguises himself a desert hotel's employee and spies the the German command post setup there.

"The Steel Lady" starring Rod Cameron and Tab Hunter who find a tank buried in the Arabian desert during WWII, and proceeds to attack the arabs with it.

"Gallipoli" starrring Mel Gibson about the WW1 battle against the Turks.

"Lawerence of Arabia" starring Peter O'Toole.

"The Best of Enemies" starring David Niven, a hilarious comedy of errors between British troops with Italian prisoners trying to avoid capture by Germans in Libya. If you can find a copy rent or buy it.

"The Immortal Sargent" starring Henry Fonda, meets up with a tough sargent and his quirky outfit, who do considerable damage to the Germans on their trek through the desert.

"The Desert Rats" starring Richard Burton.

"Desert Victory" documentary using newsreel footage of the battle in the desert around El Alamein.

"Destination Gobi" starring Richard Widmark as a naval CPO in charge of a naval weather station in Mongolia during WW2. They befriend local mongols with a gift of saddles for the mongolian horses and fight the Japanese.

"Lion of the Desert" starring Anthony Quinn as a Libyan muslim fighting against the Italian occupation of Libya during WW2.

"Death Race" starring Doug McClure as an American P40 pilot trying to keep his crippled fighter moving along the ground as a German panzer pursues. (Made for TV, 1973.)

"Beau Geste" any version, but the one with Gene Hackman as the commander is probably the most watchable for modern movie viewers.

[ January 22, 2004, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: Captain_Thunder ]

Originally posted by Captain_Thunder:

"Lion of the Desert" starring Anthony Quinn as a Libyan muslim fighting against the Italian occupation of Libya during WW2.

Allow me to second that recommendation. This is a seriously good movie. If you get a chance to see it, don't pass it up. Among other things, it has a good portrayal of Graziani.

Michael

Thought I'd add one to the list, with a qualification. It is a war movie, set in the Western Desert during World War II, but has no combat scenes in it.

It is "The Hill", starring Sean Connery as a British tank sergent sent to a military prison for punishment. If you want to see the 8th Army against the Afrika Korps, you'll be disappointed, but this is a very good film that deals with a different side of the desert war. I caught it by accident late one night, and my father and I stayed up late to finish it - I was captivated.

The hill in the title is part of the punishment in the prison camp - I will leave it at that. This movie is available on video, but I don't think it is on dvd yet. Well worth watching if you get a chance, even without any battle scenes.

Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Andreas:

I was to smitten with whats-her-name to notice the uniforms.

You were smitten with what's-her-name? You have weird taste. I don't think they even let her make movies any more.

Michael </font>

Come on, dont forget "Ice Cold In Alex" I once stayed up till 4am to answer a drunken bet as to whether the glasses at the end actually had "Carlsberg" etched onto them or if it was just an effect added by the Carlsberg Ad company.

It may have lacked hard core battle scenes but still managed a certain cult status

He He, the worlds longest beer advert.

Well...there is a French movie starring Jean-Paul Belmondo which takes place in North Africa. smile.gif

Les Morfalous

It's not a war movie though, it's a comedy about rogue French Foreign Legion soldiers who want to steal gold from a bank before the Germans get to it. The movie features one of those fake German tank which is clearly something out 70s with a cross painted on it.

les_morfalous.jpg

morfalous.jpg

[ January 28, 2004, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: Omi ]

Originally posted by Paco QNS:

Found this article

War in the Sahara, Bogart-Style by Kenneth Koyen.

Oh yes... Bogart's Sherman.

It was clearly a Lee/Grant in the movie. And in the picture found at the link smile.gif

Who said vets could not identify tanks long after the war?

I really liked the simple idea of the movie. Dig in your immobile Grant and the Jerries will attack towards its front... facing the 75mm and all of the MGs.

It does not work in CMAK! BCF fix it or sumfink!

Gruß

Joachim