Movies Movies Movies!!!!!

Originally posted by Pud:

I cant watch Paton without cringing everytime any tank trundles past :rolleyes: You would think with such a high profile and costly(?) film they could have tried to get at least one tank right. Certainly detracts from the enjoyment of the film.

They did get one tank right. Exactly one. The Sherman recovery vehicle with the boom that you see going past in several scenes of Patton standing by the side of the road.

I'm not making it up, go ahead and look!

Play Dirty with Michael Caine is another desert war film we talked about recently here.

Don't forget the TV series The Rat Patrol.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

smile.gif I will have to keep an eye out for it next time. (if I can keep my head out of the bucket long enough to spot it)

JonnyBlademan has a point, Kelly's Heroes used real Tigers didnt it? They would certainly be harder to find compared to a working PzIV?

I remember one movie (name escapes me at the moment, had Gregory Peck in it I think) where they used T34's as Panthers.

Originally posted by Pud:

smile.gif I will have to keep an eye out for it next time. (if I can keep my head out of the bucket long enough to spot it)

JonnyBlademan has a point, Kelly's Heroes used real Tigers didnt it? They would certainly be harder to find compared to a working PzIV?

I remember one movie (name escapes me at the moment, had Gregory Peck in it I think) where they used T34's as Panthers.

Kelly's Heroes used T-34s mocked up as Tigers. So did Saving Private Ryan. They were different T-34s, though - the ones in SPR were a little better looking than the Yugo T-34s in KH.

Originally posted by CavalryMan:

Come on, dont forget "Ice Cold In Alex" I once stayed up till 4am to answer a drunken bet as to whether the glasses at the end actually had "Carlsberg" etched onto them or if it was just an effect added by the Carlsberg Ad company.

It may have lacked hard core battle scenes but still managed a certain cult status.

The only desert war movie I've ever seen that even holds a candle. All the rest are the worst of the worst as art, as films, or even as bad war films. (Except the Light Horsemen - that was good. Different war though).

There was a decent Australian film about Tobruk, but it was too low budget to be a contender.

Originally posted by JonnyBlademan:

I get like that too when I watch movies that have ridiculous crap portrayed in them (you should listen to me pick apart TOP GUN). Honest question though, how many panzers would have been around after the war to use as movie props? I'm sure the GROGS have some insight into this. :confused:

What, you didn't like the idea of F5's being used to represent the pinnacle in Soviet fighter technology? Shame on you!

Regarding using real tanks in war films, obviously soon after the war there were quite a few around that were used in films e.g. real Panthers in the documentary style film Theirs is the Glory but as time marched on the real deal units steadily disappeared.

Regards

Jim R.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Pud:

I cant watch Paton without cringing everytime any tank trundles past :rolleyes: You would think with such a high profile and costly(?) film they could have tried to get at least one tank right. Certainly detracts from the enjoyment of the film.

They did get one tank right. Exactly one. The Sherman recovery vehicle with the boom that you see going past in several scenes of Patton standing by the side of the road. </font>

I know you wanted movies, but does anyone remember the T.V. show Rat Patrol?

I remember seeing it at a very young age.

I recall that it was about some British troops with Jeeps that had .50 cals driving around the desert harrassing the Germans.

Was it authentic? C'mon I was 6 years old.

Hi all,

a very good film from germany with real M4 Shermans in it is, " Die Brücke " or " The bridge ".

In very late war germany, some kids defend a bridge against the US army.

Lots of MG42, MP40 and even Panzerfaust action.

And with " Harry, hol schon mal den Wagen " Wepper.

Originally posted by JonnyBlademan:

I get like that too when I watch movies that have ridiculous crap portrayed in them (you should listen to me pick apart TOP GUN).

What?! Are you saying TOP GUN was anything else than a close-to-life representation of the US Air Farce?

You must be kidding.

Originally posted by Andreas:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by JonnyBlademan:

I get like that too when I watch movies that have ridiculous crap portrayed in them (you should listen to me pick apart TOP GUN).

What?! Are you saying TOP GUN was anything else than a close-to-life representation of the US Air Farce?

You must be kidding. </font>

Originally posted by Scheer:

Hi all,

a very good film from germany with real M4 Shermans in it is, " Die Brücke " or " The bridge ".

In very late war germany, some kids defend a bridge against the US army.

Lots of MG42, MP40 and even Panzerfaust action.

And with " Harry, hol schon mal den Wagen " Wepper.

They were real Shermans? I gotta watch that one again. I've got it on tape. Great movie.

It looked like they were mock-ups to me. It appeared as though there was an extra set of roadwheels underneath the tank and inside the fake treads and running gear.

Originally posted by Jim Boggs:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Andreas:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by JonnyBlademan:

You must be kidding. </font>

Originally posted by oldleatherneck:

I know you wanted movies, but does anyone remember the T.V. show Rat Patrol?

I remember seeing it at a very young age.

I recall that it was about some British troops with Jeeps that had .50 cals driving around the desert harrassing the Germans.

Was it authentic? C'mon I was 6 years old.

Six years old? sigh...

I remember watching Rat patrol (Was it a Quinn Martin production?). Three of the guys were Amertican. One wore an Aussie hat, one wore a standard helmet and one, I believe, wore a Rebel cap. The lone Brit wore a beret.

The German officer they always harassed was played by Hans Gudcast, who is now a soap opera star named Eric Braden.

...going against the grain, I enjoyed 'Patton'. Despite the props, Scott's portrayal of him gave a great thumbnail of his idiosycronies [good and bad]. And IICR Patton was the only Allied Commander that OKH really had any concerns about. I'd rather of been one of 'Georgie's boys'in the 3rd, than with Monty's lot ;):D

Originally posted by HeinzBaby:

...going against the grain, I enjoyed 'Patton'. Despite the props, Scott's portrayal of him gave a great thumbnail of his idiosycronies [good and bad]. And IICR Patton was the only Allied Commander that OKH really had any concerns about. I'd rather of been one of 'Georgie's boys'in the 3rd, than with Monty's lot ;):D

George C. Scott was brilliant in that role, even if Patton's little girl voice wasn't something he wanted to add to the portrayal. Personally, I'm in favour of colorizing movies, and of directors going back 20 years later (ala Star Wars) to finish them. I'd love to see Patton redone with accurate equipment CGIed in, but I can overlook the modern machinery too - the Spanish sets and vistas are breathtaking, and the performances really solid. A great film.

• 2 months later...

Not many.

A Bridge Too Far uses Leopards as panzers, Saving Private Ryan uses a T34 mocked up to look like a Tiger, while the Panzers and Stugs in Band of Brothers are built on the chassis of FV 432s (British equivalent of M113).

The Bovington tank museum are still restoring a Tiger I to running order.

Working panzers are very rare - I can't think of a film with a real Panzer in it. At least some use actual German halftracks (or similar derivative) rather than M3s

I'm just about to watch Raid on Rommel. From what I've heard, it's a cheesy rip-off of Tobruk and even uses some of the same battle scenes.

I haven't seen it yet. So if I don't return and tell you all about it, consider me smothered by all the cheese I watched.

It stars Richard Burton, so there's a fair bit of ham in it as well.

I'm going in...

Another movie made during WW II was 'Five Graves to Cairo' It starred Franchot Tone as a British officer hiding out behind Axis lines after his tank (a Grant, great footage) was damaged and only he survived. Erich von Stroheim played Rommel. Its pure hokum, but has its comic moments and the equipment is all authentic.

Well, Raid on Rommel was every bit as cheesy as I've heard it was. If you like Richard Burton, then you'll love Richard Burton with his Kung-Fu Grip and Almighty Flame Thrower . Of course, he displayed his tremendous acting talent (which is pure glazed ham).

I was surprised to see John Calicos in there as well. I'm sure he played the Cylon commander/head dude in Battlestar Galactica.

What kinda boiled my potatoes was there was no English translation while the German actors were sprechen sie Deutsch. Meine Deutsch ist nicht zu gut, as you can see.

Ah, well.