Movies Movies Movies!!!!!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by MikeT:

There was done during WWII set in the desert with Humphry Bogart and a M3 Grant/Lee defending a small building and the only water source against Germans.

I cannot remember the name however.

MikeT

Does the name "Sahara" bring back any memories?

[ November 10, 2003, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: L4Pilot ]

I saw Immortal Battalion recently. SPOILER FOLLOWS!!!

Overall I enjoyed the movie, but the strange thing was that it spent 90% of the movie showing how this one company/battalion being trained had to learn the importance of what they were doing and how they were part of something big and honorable. But the movie never really demonstrated them living up to it (except right at the end but that was weak IMHO). So if the immortal battalion was what went before, then it never really focused on that (save one scene) and if it was the group shown in the movie, they never lived up to it.

Originally posted by JohnCalvin:

I saw Immortal Battalion recently. SPOILER FOLLOWS!!!

Overall I enjoyed the movie, but the strange thing was that it spent 90% of the movie showing how this one company/battalion being trained had to learn the importance of what they were doing and how they were part of something big and honorable. But the movie never really demonstrated them living up to it (except right at the end but that was weak IMHO). So if the immortal battalion was what went before, then it never really focused on that (save one scene) and if it was the group shown in the movie, they never lived up to it.

I loved your post.

That was the vaguest, most incoherent spoiler I've ever encountered.

I would like to see the movie now, just to try and sort out what you were on about.

Originally posted by JackP:

How about "The Desert Fox" with George Mason as Rommel? It was many years ago when I saw it so I can't say about it's authenticity.

I thought it was pretty hokey myself. And that's in comparison to other war movies which IMO begin with a fair amount of hokeyness, exceptions noted.

Michael

There's hardly any combat action in "The Desert Fox." Most of the movie takes place in Germany and gives a reasonable picture of Rommel's interactions and final involvement with the group which attempted to assassinate Hitler in July 1944.

I recall that Bayerlein (or another senior WWII German officer who had served under Rommel) saw the movie and remarked that James Mason's Rommel was entirely too polite.

The scenes at the end when Rommel decides to commit suicide to protect his wife and son from punishment are particularly touching.

If you're willing to move up to the Italian theater of course there's "Catch 22" :D .

Another excellent Italian theater film was "A Walk in the Sun" with... Robert Ryan(?). A classic.

Yup, 'The Big Red One' (does that refer to a body part or something?) started out with green G.I.s at Kassarine. A real 1950s-style movie filmed in the 1980s.

Come on, dont forget "Ice Cold In Alex" I once stayed up till 4am to answer a drunken bet as to whether the glasses at the end actually had "Carlsberg" etched onto them or if it was just an effect added by the Carlsberg Ad company.

It may have lacked hard core battle scenes but still managed a certain cult status.

Seanachi

yeah I guess that wasn't much of a spoiler. So

I'll be more specific. The movie spent most of it's time showing us a bunch of rag-tags getting trained and learning what the "immortial battalion" was all about. Then, while enroute to their first action, their ship gets torpedoed and they must abandon ship. Following that they take defensive positions from which they must fall back. Finally, they are outnumbered and must decide between surrender or a suicide attack. Watch the movie to find out, but frankly there was nothing immortal about this particular group. Enough details for ya?

Originally posted by TankerJack36:

Anyone know of any good movies that take place during the Desert War? The only one I can think of is the beginning of "Patton", but the M48 Modern Tanks used for panzers makes me want to vomit. There must be some realistic films out there somewhere!

I get like that too when I watch movies that have ridiculous crap portrayed in them (you should listen to me pick apart TOP GUN). Honest question though, how many panzers would have been around after the war to use as movie props? I'm sure the GROGS have some insight into this. :confused: