Knifefight at Cecina LAR

BigDork

RawRecruit is now doing his own Knifefight at Cecina LAR.
Enjoyed seeing this interpretation of the Cecina Tiger vs. Sherman engagement. For anyone interested, the accurate historical details that RawRecruit based his cartoon on can be found on my web page:

http://www.752ndtank.com/cecina.html

This page now includes some new Signal Corps film footage of GIs inspecting the wreck of Tiger 221 a few days after the battle.

Bob

Excellent stuff. Since (Eisenfaust) asked, the German phonetic alphabet is at my site at

http://www.deutschesoldaten.com/procedures/phonetic.htm

Check with Dandelion for radio procedure, however; I've seen him post about tank call signs before (I believe he was a panzer soldier in the Bundeswehr??) - he used the example Sun 1, Sun 2, etc.

There was an entire thread on German nomenclature, where we discussed "what did the Germans call their tanks?"

Allied tankers usually referred to their Shermans, M10s, etc. as "my f***ing tank" or somesuch; I think Dandelion suggested "mein panzer" would not have been far off the mark - but he did have some good comments on actual voice procedure too.

Not that it matters, I love the AAR as is. Good use of code words for objectives, and of course the innermost thoughts of the main characters...

Very cool! Bookmarked for future installments.

Michael Dorosh,

In the now defunct AFV-G2 magazine, a German Ostfront veteran named Kurt Fischer? used to publish articles from time to time describing his experiences as an antitank gunner in both towed and SP units. Great stuff if you can find it. Where else can you read about using a leg infantry regiment as bait to ambush T-34s with Pak-38s at spitting range? But I digress. What I distinctly recall is his description of how Marders were used effectively, making full use of radio to coordinate a devastating ambush:

"Adler eins und Adler zwei, hier ist Adler."

Sectors of fire were assigned, and when the platoon leader (Adler = eagle) judged the moment right, fire was opened, and T-34s started exploding. Without Borg spotting to betray them, the Marders savaged a tank company and got away without a scratch.

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by John Kettler:

Very cool! Bookmarked for future installments.

Michael Dorosh,

In the now defunct AFV-G2 magazine, a German Ostfront veteran named Kurt Fischer? used to publish articles from time to time describing his experiences as an antitank gunner in both towed and SP units. Great stuff if you can find it. Where else can you read about using a leg infantry regiment as bait to ambush T-34s with Pak-38s at spitting range? But I digress. What I distinctly recall is his description of how Marders were used effectively, making full use of radio to coordinate a devastating ambush:

"Adler eins und Adler zwei, hier ist Adler."

Sectors of fire were assigned, and when the platoon leader (Adler = eagle) judged the moment right, fire was opened, and T-34s started exploding. Without Borg spotting to betray them, the Marders savaged a tank company and got away without a scratch.

Regards,

John Kettler

That sounds like great reading. Is it still possible to get copies of those magazines?

I thought this battle was familiar!

I do believe it was Mr H who, as the Germans, inflicted something of a defeat on my poor Ami tanks which were all suffering from some sort of mechanical defects (cough)

Very nice write-up; looks as if it has/is taken much effort. Also looks as if the result is heading in the same direction as my battle.

Cheers

Jim

I'm at the next orders phase and will probably have the next minute 'in the can' tonight. The most time taken is finding the right camera angles and deciding how many/what shots are needed to tell the story over the minute. That last minute took a while because I wanted the appearance of the Tiger to have an impact and the first exchange to be as exciting and frenetic feeling as possible, hence a few more frames than previous turns.

Originally posted by jim crowley:

I thought this battle was familiar!

I do believe it was Mr H who, as the Germans, inflicted something of a defeat on my poor Ami tanks which were all suffering from some sort of mechanical defects (cough)

Ahh those were the days sat in Andreas little flat looking at the CMAK for the first time!

Pity he is stuck in Paris and actually working for once in his life!!!

Like him I have pretty much stopped playing CM at the moment and hope that with a fair wind in the New Year I will start again and you will be at the top of the list Jim.

Also don't forget the New Year means you are closer to another weekend of CM fun in sunny Woodford.

;)

Anyway once again the artwork is great and a work of beauty and dedication.

Keep it up...

H

Jack Carr,

Unless you can find a list of contents by issue (believe there was an annual index), I'm afraid it's potluck on EBay or a used book/magazine dealer. A few months ago I snagged the BEST OF AFV-G-2, Volume 1 compilation the second way. Some single issues were available through the same channels, and I recall fairly detailed descriptions were posted. Found mine via www.abebooks.com An alternative approach might be to go to the AFV NEWS or other treadhead site, explain what you seek, and ask for help, preferably with a good pro quo in hand. Lost most of my nearly complete AFV-G-2 collection years ago through still unclear circumstances.

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by John Kettler:

Jack Carr,

Unless you can find a list of contents by issue (believe there was an annual index), I'm afraid it's potluck on EBay or a used book/magazine dealer. A few months ago I snagged the BEST OF AFV-G-2, Volume 1 compilation the second way. Some single issues were available through the same channels, and I recall fairly detailed descriptions were posted. Found mine via www.abebooks.com An alternative approach might be to go to the AFV NEWS or other treadhead site, explain what you seek, and ask for help, preferably with a good pro quo in hand. Lost most of my nearly complete AFV-G-2 collection years ago through still unclear circumstances.

Regards,

John Kettler

Thanks John,

I'll check it out.

Jack

Originally posted by David I:

Big Dork,

More, More, More!

DavidI

Don't look at me, I can't take any credit for this LAR. This is all RawRecruit.

RawRecruit has added a bit of content over the last couple days. Things are definitely heating up. Make sure you check it out.

I don't wanna log in over there and screw up a nice AAR comic with language nitpicking, so I'll do so here:

"Wir werden geschlagen"... I guess RawRecruit meant "we are being defeated", but the German line is more like from a soccer commentary. "Die machen uns fertig" is more like it.

"Wir engagieren den Feind"... that's actually funny, as that means having the enemy sign an employment contract. "Feindpanzer!" (enemy tank!) or "Feind gesichtet!" (enemy sighted!) sounds more appropriate.

Just trying to help with an otherwise excellent work.

Originally posted by RawRecruit:

Ahem...pesky online English to German translators!

For excellent work like that, feel free to ask me anytime, at solar (at) rootdirectory (dot) de. Preferably with the pic / English line included.

The first one was meant to be "We have been hit!".[/QB]

"Wir sind getroffen!"

RawRecruit,

While I note a number of typos in the American speech balloons (not about to touch the German!),

I have a larger issue--the darkness of the primary visuals. Since I haven't read the historical account at the link yet, I don't know what time of day or night this action took place. If this isn't a night action (might be, based on times displayed), is there any way to change the settings (gamma, etc.) to make the primary battle images easier to see? Would greatly improve the viewing experience.

Keep up the good work!

Regards,

John Kettler