Easy Eight 76mm improvements

poppy

The 76mm ap rounds had some defects during ww2, were there iprovements made to this round after ww2 and prior to the Korean conflict of 1950-53. The Easy Eight was used against the T34/85 in Korea and I am interested to know how well they compared. In searching the internet for info I have found a lot of interesting reading but nothing on 76 ap round improvements. poppy

The HVAP was certainly an improvement and also accurate. They may have been available for the Korean war. There was a APDS round that wasnt finished before the end of WWII. I dont know if it was in service in Korea before the end of that war.

The Walker Bulldog had a 76mm and could fire...

The 76mm gun fired a number of different rounds over the years, the most common in US service were the AP-T M339, HVAP-T M319, the HVAP-DS-T M331A2, the HE M352 and the canister round, M363. I believe these are all bras cased rounds, with the exception of the M331A2, which was steel. The M339 is a APBC-T shot, the M319 is a APCR-T, the M331A2 is a APDS-T and the HE M352 is a high explosive shell. In addition to these rounds, the Walker Bulldog carried around 5000 rounds of .30cal (for the later coax MG) and up to 600 rounds of .50cal for the AA MG carried up on the turret roof. In the turret were also carried a .45cal Grease Gun with ammo and usually a .30cal carbine for the driver.

So if the ammo was common to Sherman 76mm then it would be available logically.

Thanks Mr.Tittles, Although the Korean war was brief in comparison to WW2. The Normandy landings 1944 June till the surrender of Germany was a year or so. The Korean war untill the stalemate of 1952 lasted two years. A lot went on there with essentialy the same weapons that were used in WW2. Thanks again poppy