Best guess for 1st CMX2 module?

Ardem,

Yeah release 1940 would be the way to go, but oh know what will the americans think, oh brother I wish game designers would cater more to the world then one country.
When the rest of the world starts buying (as opposed to pirating) more than 51% of the games that we developers make, then we'll talk smile.gif For now the US game market is about 2-4 times larger than the rest of the world combined.

Personally, I don't think any of our CM games catered to the US market. If that were true we wouldn't have included the Commonwealth in CMBO, done CMBB at all in any form, or put in all the various Commonwealth stuff we did into CMAK. But I understand... some people must always look at the glass as half empty even if it is overflowing :(

Steve

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, I will give out a word of warning...

When speculation starts going full tilt people start to see repetition in the guesses. The repetition can lead to reinforcement, and reinforcement to expectation. Expectation leads to disapointment if the initial guess was off the mark.

It's all fun and games until someone forgets what happens when he pisses in the wind (or for you lady's ou tthere, squatting in bushes without first looking for poision ivy) :D

Steve

Whenver I get stressed out thinking

about what Battlefront could and

should do FOR ME,I calm myself by

getting out some old war-games

rules...

the Wargames Research Group 1925-1950

set for example...

I'm not the only one who spent days

moving tiny 1/285th scale tanks around

a sand table, I tell you what.

Some people still do it.

The whole huge Battalion-level fight

(all arms)ran on 6-sided dice, measuring

tapes and reference tables...you had to

move the miniatures yourself...every

bloody tiny squad and determine LOS with

a long ruler...

Then along comes CMBO, which does all this,

with3D graphics and sound, and even lets you

do a kind of Operational series of battles...

And these Battlefront guys dont just grab

abstracted penetration tables off somewhere

else, but design friggin' new algorithms...

After playing CMBB for 3 years, my wish list

for CMx2 relates more to the little things

that need to be done to this series to continue

to make it as realistic as possible...

Night fighting and field engineering come

to mind right off.

When they say they are going to put more depth

in, I'm pleased.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

When speculation starts going full tilt people start to see repetition in the guesses. The repetition can lead to reinforcement, and reinforcement to expectation. Expectation leads to disapointment if the initial guess was off the mark.

Steve

You know...there is a very easy way to remove all the speculation... ;)

I think this means he is telling us the first Game and Module on CMx2 WON'T be Normandy or the Bulge for example. IMHO

smile.gif

-tom w

Guys, I will give out a word of warning...

It's all fun and games until someone forgets what happens when he pisses in the wind (or for you lady's ou tthere, squatting in bushes without first looking for poision ivy) :D

Steve

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

I think this means he is telling us the first Game and Module on CMx2 WON'T be Normandy or the Bulge for example. IMHO

smile.gif

-tom w

I agree that it could be interpreted that way. However I am so convinced it will be Normandy, that I dismiss that statement as a maskirovka.

When the rest of the world starts buying (as opposed to pirating) more than 51% of the games that we developers make, then we'll talk smile.gif For now the US game market is about 2-4 times larger than the rest of the world combined.

[/QB]

OWNED

:D

I still think it will be a World War 2 setting. My main reason for believing this is that I think it would be smart for BF.C to keep the current fanbase into it and ease them into other conflicts.

That being said, Steve, please feel free to release Combat Mission: Manassas to Appomatoxas the first game. ;)

But seriously, it doesn't matter where the game is first set, I'll buy the damn thing the moment I have the chance. I have that much faith that BF.C will be releasing a great wargame.

If it doesn't start in WW2 then I am sure that it eventually will end there, sooner than later.

EVEN if it was a WW II setting, I still think they could sneak in some mini-guns! After all, Gatling guns were invented well before WW II!

I am thinking Market/Garden with C47 gunships here!

What?

No you say??!?

As an Easter egg maybe?!?!

[insert Taser Sound here]

Between CM and the other WWII games out there I'm reminded of a comment I overheard regarding the long-running TV show 'MASH'. A show about a mobile medical unit during a three year war that never moved and went for a full ten years! This really doesn't apply to the whole CM franchise due to its vast scope (how can you run out of Eastern Front battles to fight?). But alll those Normandy games (shooter games, board games, wargames, etc.) are starting to feel like they're all treading the same well-worn path.

If they stick to N.W. Europe it would be a very happy change to see "Liberation of Paris" or "Champagne Campagne" as a title. One might be heavy in city fighting, the other maneuver warfare. Sure, most of the scenarios would probably be indistinguishable from any other NW Europe game (allies approach; hidden Panther, etc.) but it would at least get us out of the outskirts of Villers-freakin'-Bocage.

...Not that our opinions will have a great deal to do with the outcome. They'll do whatever they decide will be fun and can make money in the process - and maybe stand out from the rest of the pack.

It seems like some of you are willing to wait out the first game in favor of the modules if you don't like the setting. I, however, always assumed that the modules would require the original game. 1000 pardons if this has already been clarified by BFC.

Originally posted by Pak40:

It seems like some of you are willing to wait out the first game in favor of the modules if you don't like the setting. I, however, always assumed that the modules would require the original game. 1000 pardons if this has already been clarified by BFC.

Yes you would need the original game to play the module.

This sorta looks like something I said. What I meant was this: I will download the demo of "More US army stuff involving the 101st", probably enjoy it and then go dum-di-dum right up until they announce the plans for the CW module. Then I'll play the "More US army stuff involving the 101st" game to tide me over until the CW module is released. But prior to that news, a sale is looking unlikely. It'd have to be a pretty spectacular demo for me to buy the game without a announcement of a subject of interest in the near(ish) future.

Didn't they say a Lobsters of Doom type game was in the top 5?

Hence I'm changing by vote to: CM2:Battle for Hoth! After BFC got talking with Lucasarts about the name of their Star Wars game (Battlefront) Lucas Arts decided that the Star Wars universe needs a hardcore ground combat sim to complement their franchise. And BFC, seeing the lengths of the Star Wars and LotR threads agreed their grogs have ample geekiness to make it an attractive project for them.

Star Wars Combat Mission? Come on, you know you want it. :D