Information needed, UK troops

rune

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rune and troops,

By pure happenstance, today I got a remarkable piece of ground truth presented to me which relates directly to this scenario. What was it? A mature olive tree!

After seeing it, I now understand the value of retreating into an olive grove. The trunk's ~1.5 ft. in diameter and is bare of branches

until well over the height of an M3 Lee, whereupon the branches begin, and the crown (correct term?) is much like that of a mushroom, except it's made of densely packed green leaves some 15ft. thick. You could literally park a tank under one of these trees, so great is the lateral spread, and be invisible from directly overhead.

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by Dandelion:

I thought Rune was joking.

Queer lot, the British.

In German it is called 'Radler'(if you are living south of the Weisswurstäquator) or 'Alsterwasser', if you are living north of it. But if you live in the Rhineland, they will serve you beer mixed with Fanta (I kid you not) if you ask for Radler. We should have left that part of the country to the French, if you ask me.

All the best

Andreas

Shandy (with Lemonade, not [shudder]Fanta[/shudder]) is quite nice in the right circumstances - hot day, etc. It's refreshing, without the heavyness that beer can have. It's also quite good for kids, although Sascha seems to have progressed straight to beer. My beer :mad:

rune,

No, it doesn't. The basis of this practice had nothing to do with flavor enhancement, you see. The original purpose was to keep flies out of the beer.

A buddy of mine learned this to his embarrassment while having a Corona here in the States with a Mexican national when the Mexican asked him why he put a lime wedge in the bottle's neck. When he said that's the way he'd seen the locals do it in Mexico he was told, "they do it because they have to; we're here here in this beautiful air conditioned restaurant and we don't have to."

Hope this clears things up.

Regards,

John Kettler