Favorite size map?

MikeyD

Not a particularly deep question: What size map give you the most enjoyment in the game?

I'm asking because i used to LOVE very small maps with a tiny-to-small force size fighting things out. Then I switched to huge maps and their wide open spaces. Now I dont know what I like. I keep selecting inappropriate-size units for inappropriate-size maps in my QBs and the result is less fun and more frustration.

Any suggestions?

To be honest I don't really have a favourite size map as it really depends on my mood at that given moment. One day it could be a small map and another a huge map with a Battalion or sometimes Regiment of units in place.

My suggestion to you is just to alternate between the different sizes of maps and unit sizes of course, but don't go crazy and try and play with a Battalion of units on tiny/small maps or vice-versa - larger maps with smaller sized units.

I alternate between the trilogy of CM and sides of course as I personaly find it to be a good way to gain knowledge and experience as well as keeping the game interesting or fresh so to speak.

However in the end it all comes down to the individuals preference and CM can be played which ever way you prefer and don't forget that. smile.gif

I like large maps using about 1250 points. I usually defend as Germans in mid to late 44. I give the Russians +25% - +50% advantage. 30+ to 35+ turns is usually long enough to get a couple of trench lines in trouble. My one or two panzers are usually in flames by the end of it all.

Sometimes I surprise myself and open up a can of whoop-ass on the AI. That happens when the QB lays out a terrain that is easy to defend.

i always get the urge to play really big games on large maps. And then after I get started I remember why I like 600-1250 point games on small/medium maps. It just takes soooooo long to give individual orders to 300+ units.

If only CMX2 could combine a platoon level game with a squad level game. That would be great!!!!!

[ December 11, 2004, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: David Chapuis ]

I love 3k pts on a medium map, but recently my friend and I instituted a "one big, one small" policy. We started off with the smallest map we could get & 800pts (I think). It was really entertaining. Smoke & dust play a real part in the game at that size. I brought a 150mm IG for kicks. It was fun but didn't last long.

The next big map I'm still setting up - but it is a 5000pts assault on a custom map.

Conclusion - umm none really. Play all of them.

Small & tiny maps are my favorites. Huge battles ( 60 turns + ) don't hold my interest. I get to about turn 45 & start saying to myself: " when is this thing going to end?! ". Also, I find that huge/large map battles tend to get confusing. In these cases there are always one or two units that I forget to move for several turns.

For me, medium maps are best.

Small and especially, tiny maps, allow no room for maneuver. On large maps, opposing forces can easily never come into combat contact. :eek:

On some rare occasions on large maps, I have had such experiences where the opposing forces never came to grips. Those were some boring :( but fast completed games tongue.gif .

Cheers, Richard :D

hello One and all

seems to be a mixed bag...

I tend to go for a med to large map but with small points... from 500 to 1000 no more

I aim to have the main fight in the centre and small flags on ind house's or feature's a little way out this gives room to out flank etc

you can not beat a platoon each side with transport and poss armor supp one tank can swing the whole battle but so can one bazooka...