I'M BACK with a NEW MEGA OPERATION!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Franko:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Brent Pollock:

:rolleyes: Fishfang :confused:

Sounds like something generated by an internet naming engine.

What's the bona fide German codename?

According to the sources, it was Fishfang. Sounds hokey, yeah. </font>

Originally posted by Moon:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Franko:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Moon:

A couple of typos.

a) Page 5 of the German briefing has a header reading THEHE FOLLOWING IS AN ACTUAL INTELLIGENCE....

Should be THE naturally.

B) "successfull" in the overal briefing should be "successful".

c) You correctly indicate FISCHFANG in the German briefing but the overall briefing has it as the comical FISHFANG.

As a point of style, in military writing objectives and place names are usually capitalized to set them apart; certainly in the context of a CM briefing there is sufficient reason to do so also, as a stylistic choice. So rather than

Operation "Fischfang"
you get

Operation FISCHFANG
One final question - was there a specific design reason to have changed the map edges around (you have West listed with an on map marker as TRUE NORTH)? Or was this simply a case of designing the map first and then realizing you had done it the wrong direction? I know I get most annoyed when I do that as it is easy to do.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

A couple of typos.

a) Page 5 of the German briefing has a header reading THEHE FOLLOWING IS AN ACTUAL INTELLIGENCE....

Should be THE naturally.

B) "successfull" in the overal briefing should be "successful".

c) You correctly indicate FISCHFANG in the German briefing but the overall briefing has it as the comical FISHFANG.

As a point of style, in military writing objectives and place names are usually capitalized to set them apart; certainly in the context of a CM briefing there is sufficient reason to do so also, as a stylistic choice. So rather than

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Operation "Fischfang"

you get

Operation FISCHFANG
One final question - was there a specific design reason to have changed the map edges around (you have West listed with an on map marker as TRUE NORTH)? Or was this simply a case of designing the map first and then realizing you had done it the wrong direction? I know I get most annoyed when I do that as it is easy to do. </font>

[/qb]
Or it was named with driving the Allies into the sea in mind rather then the ease at which it would be achieved. I haven't read any of the operational orders or such Grog stuff but I can't imagine that at this stage of the war the Germans would think anything would come easy. Certainly not with a bunch of 8" cruisers and DDs off shore. [/QB]

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />

Or it was named with driving the Allies into the sea in mind rather then the ease at which it would be achieved. I haven't read any of the operational orders or such Grog stuff but I can't imagine that at this stage of the war the Germans would think anything would come easy. Certainly not with a bunch of 8" cruisers and DDs off shore. [/QB]</font>

Well, I submitted it to Boots about 5 months ago, and I didnt get any formal feedback. So..I didnt have the benefit of "fresh eyes" to catch that stuff. In my firm, I have several employees who do that (the "boss" is certainly not infallible). However, if you guys see typos and stuff, or have feedback, just email them to me and I'll upload a new version.
An explanation wasn't necessary; barring evidence to the contrary, I think we're going to assume that you are a human being. I just found out one of my ops - up at the Depot for a year now - has a German platoon set up over two setups zones. A beginner's mistake.

I know you dont mean it this way, but the laundry list of typos is vaguely insulting somehow.
That's quite charitable of you, but really, you couldn't be more wrong. The insult was intentional.

Something, you know, that Al Gore would do -- strike a didactic tone in a snooty way.
I was going for a John D. Salt, JonS, JasonC kind of snootiness, so I guess it is my turn to be offended. What about it reads like Al Gore? I'd kind of like to bring my snootiness to a much higher plane than simply corn-fed run-of-the-mill bland snootiness, perhaps inject a touch of British upper-crust "my school tie has more brains than you will ever have" kind of snoot. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Typos are something I'm not too concerned about,
Apparently, and yet now here we are discussing them.

however, preferring instead to spend my spare time designing and counting my money.
Yes, the life of the overpaid scenario designer. I do so hope you will write more on this subject. I think I shall like to include you in my own book on Mortal Enemies. If I do something to dissuade you from being properly cultivated, I trust you'll let me know.

In any case, I think you meant "overall" when you said "overal" (Get my point?).
In any case, I didn't preface my comments with an all caps subject title called I'M BACK WITH A NEW MEGA LIST OF TYPOS FOR FRANKO. (Get my point?)

The changing the map around was a deliberate design choice, due to the restrictions of the engine. I could not obtain the appropriate length using a North-South orientation.
Excellent point, had not considered that. You may want to mention it at some point in the briefing, since some people play with landmarks off and it may be of interest to them.

Originally posted by bboyle:

Or it was named with driving the Allies into the sea in mind rather then the ease at which it would be achieved. I haven't read any of the operational orders or such Grog stuff but I can't imagine that at this stage of the war the Germans would think anything would come easy. Certainly not with a bunch of 8" cruisers and DDs off shore. </font>

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by bboyle:

Or it was named with driving the Allies into the sea in mind rather then the ease at which it would be achieved. I haven't read any of the operational orders or such Grog stuff but I can't imagine that at this stage of the war the Germans would think anything would come easy. Certainly not with a bunch of 8" cruisers and DDs off shore. </font>