Let's benchmark CPUs!

Originally posted by Juju:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Redwolf:

Depending on the Windows version there are 6 or more different official ways to start programs at bootup or login time...

...And I haven't been able to find a single one of them on W2K. Could you give me a hint of where to start looking? </font>

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beats me. It keeps saying it (the driver) cannot communicate with the graphics accellerator ("accellerator has stopped answering commands"). And so it keeps resetting it during gameplay. Casuing semi-freeze (it freezes, but is then reset and works poroperly again, for a while, then the same over and over). And it says that in order to solve this problem, I need to download updated drivers.

Problem is of course, I've got the latest drivers available...

There is a "send error report to ATI" function - problem is there is no feedback smile.gif You just send it, and get no reply.

And so I don't really know what the benchmark would be if everything worked as should.

I just sit around until this appears among the "known technical issues" with the 9800 Pro card - the published list already includes every single popular game title available in retail so CMAK should fit right in smile.gif

Cheerio

Dandelion

The 9800pro is a rather common card. If it was the card's fault the tech forum would be full of it. About the re-setting during gameplay; have you tried disabling the VPU recover function? That is probably what resets your graphics accelerator. I've heard the feature isn't 100% reliable.

Um, you mean you need help disabling VPU (enabled by default)? In you video card control panel is a VPU tab, you can simply deselect the checkbox there.

If a driver re-install doesn't work, I usually just format my HD and start from scratch. Good thing to do once in a while...

Let me know if disabling VPU worked out, will ya.

[ September 16, 2004, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: Juju ]

Originally posted by Jack Carr:

- the times you got for the blue bar without computer player

- what kind of CPU you have, clockspeed

- overclocked, if yes what is original and what is overclock speed?

- how much RAM?

- (EDITED to add: how fast is your RAM, e.g. "333 MHz" or "800 MHz dual-channel")

- (EDITED to add: if you know, the processor core you have (Prescott, Thunderbird etc.) or if you don't know that, post your cache sizes and socket)

My system:

Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2

AMD Athlon XP Thoroughbred Core 2800+ 2.25ghz running at 333mhz (NOT OVERCLOCKED)

Chaintech GeForce Ti4600 128MB Video Card

1.5GB RAM Kingston PC2700 333mhz

Chaintech motherboard 7NJL1 Apogee 400mhz bus capable. BIOS set to 333.

I left sound on and all graphics at Full.

My times were:

50, 49, 48, 50, 51 - Seconds that is.

Thinking about an upgrade? Your times didn't appear poor really.

I can upgrade to the 3200+ processor and invest in PC3200 RAM but I'm not sure what kind of a return I would get. The 3200+ has more memory on the processor and I would be operating at a better bus speed but the actual clock speed of the 3200+ is slightly less than my Thoroughbred 2800+ 2.2 vs 2.25.

Maybe in a few more months when the prices make it possible to do this for $200 or less I will try it.

This was a good test. Just an FYI on my system. I have all of the unnecessary services that load at boot-up turned off. The operating system from a services perspective is stripped down for maximum processor freedom. AKA - Black Viper website.

I tried this test again to see if I could better my average.

My scores were 50, 49, 46, 51, 48

A little better than before. With the average time being 48.8 seconds. Not bad.

Previously the average was 49.6.

Who won? Anybody keeping track?

For the straight number crunching aspect of the turn resolution, I'd expect the Athlons to come out on top for similar cpu speed/memory/bus speed.

For a bit over a year I've been running SETI@home on both my work desktop and my home desktop. Work is a P4 1.7GHz, home was an Athlon 1800+, similarly equipped in terms of memory. A typical data packet runs about 1.5 hours faster on the Athlon at home.

• 6 months later...

After my motherboard died, I decided to upgrade my machine. I just tried this benchmark test again and was happy with the results.

My times were: 47, 50, 48, 43, 44

for an average of 46.4

My rig currently:

ABIT motherboard 400 FSB

AMD Athlon XP 3200+ 2.2GHZ

Kingston 3200 HyperX RAM 1GB

Chaintech GeForce Ti4600 128MB 4X AGP

2 x Western Digital HD 80GB 7200RPM 8MB cache

A few seconds better than previously.

AMD Duron 1000

256 mb RAM

XP

2:17

Didn't bother doing it twice.

Interesting that this result is up there around 2:00 with some other much faster rated machines.

I guess the straight number crunching of CM turn calculations may not take advantage of what some newer chips were designed to do.

BTW It is a beautiful map with many tactical possibilities, I suggest everyone try it out.

Originally posted by Hoolaman:

I guess the straight number crunching of CM turn calculations may not take advantage of what some newer chips were designed to do.

No, the Pentium-4 is just a CPU which only likes code specially written for it.

The Athlon 64s perform as expected, about the same as the Athlon XPs at the same speed rating.

[ April 04, 2005, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Redwolf ]