Let's benchmark CPUs!

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick post before bed.

AMD 64 3000, MSI KT8 Neo Board with DOT set to Captain level. Don't ask me how much over clocked this is.

512Mb RAM (I will dig out Speed in morning)

Video is Nvidia Geforce FX5700 Ultra clocked to suggested levels (I.e. It did it itself!). Not sure what it set itself to.

And the speeds were.....

1st run 49 seconds

2nd run 53 seconds

3rd run 55 seconds

4th run 52 seconds

5th run 46 seconds

6th run 50 seconds

Night and I shall read the whole thread later.

H

Update on Memory (mine is poor) PC3200 DDR400

[ September 09, 2004, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: Holien ]

Junk, I'm running a BFC 5900XT OC (GeForce 5900XT), I got it a few months back replaced a GeForce ti4400. This current rig I built in April of 2002. Only other change to it was increasing Ram from 512 to 1024.

I'm also running Win200.

Just a comment, but I would suspect many of you out there could see a nice boost in performance by simply increasing your Ram. IMO Win2000, WinXP need at least 512 to run well and to get the most from your PC. Computer makers consistently put in low Ram to keep base prices low and to make more money when people add more. I know from the late 80's to mid 90's I saw the same situation with Mac's. You can NEVER have too much Ram!

Hey, Redwolf, Things get even better. And more interesting...

At first I had average times of 2 minutes.

After disabling Hyperthreading on my P-IV 2.4 GHZ I got average times of 1:30 minutes.

Just now I popped in my new X800pro (yay, coolness! smile.gif ) and did a full HD format and Windows re-install (kept the CM install, though, on a different partition) and am now down to 1:05 minutes! That's almost twice as fast as my first test of 2:07 minutes.

Seems these times do not only depend on CPU speed. Possibly Windows- and registry clutter has something to do with it as well. CAn you explain this?

Juju,

in theory the graphics crd is not involved in the computation. It should all run on the raw CPU.

Your results make me believe your system was cluttered up with tiny little programs running in the background.

A good test would be to keep your reinstalled system but put in your old video card (what was it?) for a quick comparision under the clean Windows.

It might also explain why my times were pretty good. My Windows never sees websurfing, emailing, or any kind of "helpful" utilities, there is absolutely nothing in the background.

Juju, that is a big change and my knee jerk reaction was Ram based, assuming you had say 512 or less and had ALOT of software/accesories loading at startup. But I see you have a Gig so lack of Ram is most likely not it. My other theory is since you wiped and reloaded with Hyperthreading off this might be the key factor. Did you disable hyperthreading in the BIOS or in software?

Regardless it's usually a good decision to wipe your hard drive and reinstall your OS anytime you make a significant hardware change.

Originally posted by Kong:

Regardless it's usually a good decision to wipe your hard drive and reinstall your OS anytime you make a significant hardware change.

That's why I did it, mainly. Even without new hardware I find it's usually best to start from scratch twice a year. That's MS Windows for ya. :(

Oh, and I disabled HT in the BIOS, which I had also updated just prior to re-installing Windows.

Redwolf, basically all that loads at startup are my antivirus and internet security sofware. I'm sure nothing else is\was running, as I run a tight ship, so to speak. I always keep my machine as clean and tidy as possible.

My older card was a 9700PRO (and no, I'm not going to put it back ;) ). I don't know if temperature may have something to do with it (the test load times, I mean), but changing from the 9700Pro to the X800Pro appears to have lowered both my system and CPU temperatures by as much as 15 to 20 degrees. When sitting idle my CPU temp used to be 59 degrees. Now it 39! Could that be a factor?

With regard to Juju's post above I have Nortons Anti Virus and Firewall. Both of these are very big resource hogs and my PC runs far better with out them. Especially since I only have 250 meg of ram.

If any one else uses Nortons Anti Virus do they know an easy way to disable it? It appears to load from the boot files so I can not ALt CTRL DEL and select to close it as this crashes the PC, I have to deselect it in Nortons options and reboot. This often results in me not disabling it.

Cheers

Originally posted by markl:

If any one else uses Nortons Anti Virus do they know an easy way to disable it? It appears to load from the boot files so I can not ALt CTRL DEL and select to close it as this crashes the PC, I have to deselect it in Nortons options and reboot. This often results in me not disabling it.

Cheers

I do, and I know of a sure-shot way. BUT it's kinda tricky... Some people wouldn't dare do this, I guess.

What I do is I use a registry cleaner program that let's me delete these startup programs, making a backup, of course. Then I disable my internet connection and reboot. After I've finished doing what I'd be doing, I simply restore the backed up registry entries, re-boot and reconnect internet connection.

I've done this only once, because I don't feel the need to go and disable it everytime.

I know for a fact that there is a program out there that simply lets you disable those entries temporarily, instead of deleting them, but I can't remeber what it was anymore.

And you're right, it is a hog. 250 megs is not a lot, seeing as it takes up about 50 megs on my machine. :(

Originally posted by markl:

Cheers

Why dont you use msconfig to disable any unwanted autostart programs ?

Do a search on your windows partition, if you use XP ist in the C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries. If you use Win98, its in the systems folder, I think.

You just start msconfig and uncheck in the autostart tab the unwanted programs.

Depending on the Windows version there are 6 or more different official ways to start programs at bootup or login time. And a virus would usually not use an official one.

Closely observing the CPU monitor (although it has way too few features to tell anything about memory usage) on a second monitor does the job much better when you want to figure out where you CPU time went.

[ September 10, 2004, 04:21 AM: Message edited by: Redwolf ]

Originally posted by Redwolf:

Depending on the Windows version there are 6 or more different official ways to start programs at bootup or login time...

...And I haven't been able to find a single one of them on W2K. Could you give me a hint of where to start looking?