CMx2 Revisited

poppy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Panzer76:

About my Vietnam comment, forget it. It is not Vietnam.

But it is neither WWII.

Hint: community members that has been following BFCs business dealings and have a good memory can add 2 and 2 togheter and find out which conflict we will see modeled next.

You don't have a clue, and even if you do i choose not to believe you tongue.gif .

Originally posted by stikkypixie:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Panzer76:

But it is neither WWII.

Hint: community members that has been following BFCs business dealings and have a good memory can add 2 and 2 togheter and find out which conflict we will see modeled next.

You don't have a clue, and even if you do i choose not to believe you tongue.gif . </font>

Originally posted by Soddball:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by stikkypixie:

But it is neither WWII.

You don't have a clue, and even if you do i choose not to believe you tongue.gif . </font>

Originally posted by Sergei:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Soddball:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by stikkypixie:

But it is neither WWII.

Originally posted by ParaBellum:

What quote? :confused:

Well, duh! The one with this paragraph:

"Hint: community members that has been following BFCs business dealings and have a good memory can add 2 and 2 togheter and find out which conflict we will see modeled next."

Originally posted by ParaBellum:

Sergei, send me a turn. Preferrably starting with the words "I hereby surrender the remainder of my forces to thee and bow to thy mastery of tactics and..."

So, you want me to quote you? Okay...

Also, most people who play the games prefer large, tank battles. WWII was the last large scale tank war, and even pacific lacked them. I think that is why BFS has made no pacific games. Why does BFS not want to open source code? I understand for now, but when the new game comes out, wouldn't it make sense to open the old codes? Maybe I'm missing something, but opening source code and the great mods that would result from it would keep me and many others interested in the originals, as well as the new one.

Originally posted by throwdjohn:

WWII was the last large scale tank war...

Of course it all depends on what you mean by "large scale", but the various Arab-Israeli wars saw some pretty serious armored clashes of brigade and even one or two division size.

But perhaps Arab-Israeli conflicts are a can of political worms BFC would rather not open.

Michael

Originally posted by Mord:

I would love to see somebody play a battalion level battle on a 4000m map in realtime.

RTS would be the stupidist addition to CM they could come up with.

We have realtime already, 60 seconds at a time. What's so bad about that? You get a full action play back that can be viewed until your heart's content. You'd never be able to play this game with the depth and understanding of what the hell is happening without that. You'd miss atleast 80% of the action...all the nuances of what makes the game so great because you'd be balls out trying to see what is going on over a vast map. Then everybody would be complaining that the maps were too big and there were too many forces to keep track of and so on.

Full RTS, for any reason in CM is stupid, outside of a full play back of the battle but that's a completely different thing.

Mord.

I love CM and its Wego. But the trick to solve both RT and map size problems is called team play. With several players each controlling one or a few companies in a restricted area you can actually do huge battalion sized battles that would work. Any confusion about what the hell is going on would be called "realism" smile.gif

It might not be a CM game, but I know I would love it.

First I'd like to say thanks to Martin for sending me the link to find my password that I had lost.

At this point in time, the biggest thing I'd like to see in connection with CMx2 is a little info about what they plan as far as gameplay issues. I think I have a little more of the attitude to trust what game designers want to put in rather than make many suggestions. I could give suggestions, however. I also didn't find the sneak peak regarding graphics that interesting, because I'm perfectly happy with the graphics in CMAK, not to say I won't be delighted to see improvements. But considering these are wargames, I think the graphics still look pretty amazing.

I've just been playing a desert scenario with British Shermans, and I have a question.

Assuming that the model shape for the Sherman III is correct, why is the front turret armour 76/0 when there is plainly a turret armour slope? Not only that, the 75mm gun mantlet is curved, the MG shield is curved, and viewed from above it's hard not to conclude that the turret is curved, too.

Will CMX2 look again at the stats for the Sherman?

Originally posted by Soddball:

I've just been playing a desert scenario with British Shermans, and I have a question.

Assuming that the model shape for the Sherman III is correct, why is the front turret armour 76/0 when there is plainly a turret armour slope? Not only that, the 75mm gun mantlet is curved, the MG shield is curved, and viewed from above it's hard not to conclude that the turret is curved, too.

Will CMX2 look again at the stats for the Sherman?

What are you, some sort of trouble-making grog? :mad: :mad:

Back to the topic. ;)

The greatest caveat I would have with too-recent conflicts is that they carry too much emotional baggage.

All of us can stand the idea of driving German panzers across Russia's plains, because it's a thing of the past, and the repercussions of what happened back then have long since faded into the background noise.

You could make a point on Vietnam, but there are many Vietnam vets still around who'd probably disagree.

And I won't even get into the Israel / Arab wars. They are at the root of a good number of today's conflicts, with men, women and children dying because of the consequences of what we'd be replaying on our screens.

Not even beginning to speak of the Gulf wars, Balcan etc.

The more recent the conflicts, the more emotional baggage.

It would be quite OK if there were "expansion mods" available for the game engine, but I strongly believe the game itself should still be focussed on WWII (all theaters in one package, hey we have DVD's and gigs to blow today!). It's a "safe playground" only very few people take exception at.

MHO.