CMx2 Revisited

poppy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to see somebody play a battalion level battle on a 4000m map in realtime.

RTS would be the stupidist addition to CM they could come up with.

We have realtime already, 60 seconds at a time. What's so bad about that? You get a full action play back that can be viewed until your heart's content. You'd never be able to play this game with the depth and understanding of what the hell is happening without that. You'd miss atleast 80% of the action...all the nuances of what makes the game so great because you'd be balls out trying to see what is going on over a vast map. Then everybody would be complaining that the maps were too big and there were too many forces to keep track of and so on.

Full RTS, for any reason in CM is stupid, outside of a full play back of the battle but that's a completely different thing.

Mord.

Originally posted by Panzer76:

Prepare for a non WWII game...

Thats all I have to say, and you can bet good money its true.

I wonder. It would make sense so to still get some return on the earlier CM serie. As Sergei put it in another topic, there will be not point buying CM1 if the next generation is about the same era, only ten times better. Maybe another theater/era, then in, say, two years from now, back at WWII ?

Wishful thinking. Sort of.

What could CM bring to a RTS that isn't already on the market? WEGO is what gives CM its feel (at least to me it does). I don't think BFC has the time or resources to implement an RTS option, even if they wanted to. That would be like developing two different games.

I know we're wishing, but come on you might as well

wish for BFC to come up with some hologram thing like on star trek or something.

As for the theatre I personally hope for WWII game: larger scope, more varied terrains and a whole scala of weapons.

Originally posted by stikkypixie:

As for the theatre I personally hope for WWII game: larger scope, more varied terrains and a whole scala of weapons.

Amen to that. A much improved handling of infantry animations and combat. More men per squad visually. More men per crew visually. Casualty toggle setting, like the doodads and tree settings, so we can view where the most intense fighting took place either during or after the battle.

Deformable terrain.

Return to the ETO would be nice too.

Yeah and a whole Scala of weapons!!

Mord.

If CMx2 isnt centered about WW2 then I doubt that it will have the world wide appeal that CM presently enjoys.I play against the AI and therfore mostly play as the attacker. If nothing else were changed in CM except for a dramatic increase in the capability of the AI to execute an attack and a defense then I wouldnt hesitate to buy it. poppys

What other war has there been that could possibly take the place of WW2 in the upcomming CMx2 series,[i hope it will be a series]. Korea used the same weapons but was so limited in scope campared to WW2 that it would make a good companion theater to a WW2 theater like Burma and the North Pacific but wouldnt stand alone, CMAK is having trouble just staying in Italy. I would like to revisit all of the scenarios that I have played over the last four years using CMx2. Im sure that the scenario designers using the new capabilities of CMx2 will be better able to do what they wanted to do in CM but could not due to AI limitations. In the wars that have occured after Korea the relative strength of the adversaries was so one sided that there is no way that BF could balance the relative strength of the adversaries and still make it believable. And besides that who world wide would be interested. The more that I learn about WW2 the more interesting it becomes. Believe me CM has only scratched the surface. poppys

Originally posted by poppys:

The more that I learn about WW2 the more interesting it becomes. Believe me CM has only scratched the surface. poppys

Another Amen.

We are just starting to see what can be done for WWII, gaming wise. My enthusiasm is only gonna sky rocket with the next CM game. The two compliment eachother very well. One of the great by products of historical gaming, read about it, watch it, participate.

Mord.

Please no RTS! The WeGo is excellent. For the theatre, maybe it would be a good idea to set it in the first stages of war, 1939-40 Blitzkrieg, which was not depicted in the CM series. Then, probably, if the engine is working fine, it shouldn't be a huge effort to add frequently new modules based on different WWII theatres: East Front, Pacific, Ardennes, Italy again, Africa...

Mord, as to all the visual improvements you suggest, I think it is a great idea with one change. To be able to toggle these things off. To me, the graphics are not too important, not to mention I value simplicity. As to what they should do with CMx2, I'll just trust that BFS will make a good game. One thing I'd like when CMx2 comes out, though, would be to have BO,BB, and AK source codes all opened for modders, like half life. The scenario designers and modders are already so creative, imagine what the geniuses could do with more control. Pacific, Blitz, all kinds of neat stuff would be opened up, with no cost to battlefront. It would also keep people interested in the older games for a while longer.

Many of the Wargamers that play the CM series now played board games where a plethora of rules and dice, and a piece of cardboard and their emagination was it. And it was fun,and interesting. CM supplied the AI in place of the rules and dice and the computer graphics in place of the cardboard, but they still left room for the imagination of the players. Couple that with WW2 and how could they go wrong, and they didnt. But be careful,we are a knitch crowd a large one only because we are world wide ,I dont want to go back to the cardboard so leave room for our imagination. Two or three men representing a squad is perfect, I personally dont want to watch 10 or 12 men scrambling around I can imagine that, I want a very advanced AI to take the place of the dice. poppys

I'd be partial to a game that represented modern weapon systems, but I can also see several pitfalls in choosing this design option...

Modeling units would not be a problem, or for that matter dealing with the extended range, lethality, etc of modern weapons. However I'm sure there would be fairly heated debates over different units' real world capabilities -- e.g. exactly how effective is an M1A1 tank's armor against a modern ATG?

I know people still argue over the employment and lethality of WII weapons and units, but at least in this instance there are numerous historical, public references to consult.

Originally posted by cmfan:

Modeling units would not be a problem, or for that matter dealing with the extended range, lethality, etc of modern weapons.

There is one problem you might not have considered. And that is that extended range means much larger maps, especially in area. And more area means more polygons, etc. Already, the largest maps that can be created in CM tax even very powerful systems. Unless there is some presently unsuspected breakthrough in programming, a modern-era game in a CM type system will have to wait for a later generation of hardware.

Michael