Totally off-topic

OK, this has nothing to do with this forum but if anyone would know the answer, it would be you guys.

I remember (I think) a squad level game for the Apple ][ where you moved a small group around in a city setting. It allowed you to give commands like 'toss a grenade into the room, wait three seconds, then enter'. Characters were usually good at something specific and you could put together a squad with different abilities.

if anyone knows what I am talking about, could you let me know what the name was?

Thanks

Someone here will know for sure.

How about this one:

BattleGroup?

"Group

Released:

Published By:

Strategic Simulations, Inc.

MobyScore:

not yet rated

Platform:

Apple II

Genre:

Simulation,

Strategy

Perspective:

Side-Scrolling,

Top-Down

Description:

Battle Group is the sister game to the highly acclaimed Kampfgruppe but covers platoon level tactical combat on the Western Front from 1943-1945. This game includes practically all ground weapons used by Great Britain,US and Germany during this time frame. The game may be ended at any time but will automatically end after 30 turns. A game may be continued beyond its normal limits. At the end of the game victory points will be calculated to determine the margin of victory."

http://apple2.mobygames.com/game/sheet/gameId,14798/

OR:

http://www.callapple.org/apple2/magazines/aar/battfront.html

"For those who have been bitten by the bug and find a fascination in recreating, and hopefully changing a little bit of history, wargaming becomes a passion. And the extent of this passion can be measured by the ads which in 1979 sold 'The $2,160 Wargame'. Of this fortunately, about S2,100 was for the Apple and the remainder for the program, Computer Bismark.

Today Apples are far more predominant and the sophistication of the games has increased dramatically, as has the ease of playing. And Battlefront, the latest from Roger Keating and Ian Trout certainly is a very playable yet detailed wargame.

Battlefront is a corps level simulation and with several features which make it relatively simple to learn and play. It consists of four World War II battles - Crete 20-26 May 1941, Stalingrad 17-23 December 1942, Saipan 15-30 June 1944 and Bastogne 18-26 December 1944, and the ability for the player to modify maps, terrain, strengths of units and support."

-tom w

Originally posted by mikeadams:

OK, this has nothing to do with this forum but if anyone would know the answer, it would be you guys.

I remember (I think) a squad level game for the Apple ][ where you moved a small group around in a city setting. It allowed you to give commands like 'toss a grenade into the room, wait three seconds, then enter'. Characters were usually good at something specific and you could put together a squad with different abilities.

if anyone knows what I am talking about, could you let me know what the name was?

Thanks

I played an Apple IIe game, black (green) and white, simple graphics, like an RTS. You had two continents. You built factories, produced units over turns, shipped the units to the other continent, had battles. The were planes that bombed factories and units. vs AI, great fun. It always locked up after a huge number of units on the screen.

Originally posted by mikeadams:

Thanks

I instantly knew what you were talking about (I think) but it was on my Commodore 128. I remember playing it in about '86 in my barracks room in Germany. Does that seem like the right time frame?

Damn! Now I am going to go crazy trying to remember....

it was WWII, right? or modern? Seems like WWII to me.

That game was pretty dang exciting back then. IIRC the maps looked like very basic architectural/floor plan drawings. You could tell where doors and windows were, etc but that was about it. May not even have had multi-story buildings.

**edit** none of the above suggestions are it. This one was squad level with individual men represented...with something like green Xs :D

mikeadams: I think it was "Computer Ambush."

I seem to remember that there was a laminated map and grease pencils involved. And the turns took forever to process ("turn is 12.565756436373% complete"). And it kept freezing up on me so that I could never actually finish a game.

But what a cool idea! I remember being impressed with all the commands available.

junk2drive: was that "Empire?"

Originally posted by Martyr:

mikeadams: I think it was "Computer Ambush."

I seem to remember that there was a laminated map and grease pencils involved. And the turns took forever to process ("turn is 12.565756436373% complete"). And it kept freezing up on me so that I could never actually finish a game.

But what a cool idea! I remember being impressed with all the commands available.

junk2drive: was that "Empire?"

I remember Empire! It was a bit different from that described here - I don't recall bombers or factories? Been many years. I remember designing maps for it, and you would have to explore the planet and remove the black square from each map tile as you went.

Computer Ambush!!! That's it: thanks

Its odd, but some of my best game memories are from the Apple ][ days: Rails West, Dreadnoughts and of course Wizardry. Many of the newer games seem so intent on glitz that they forget the *game* element. I guess that is why I love Battlefront so much (now if we could just get the OSX versions......)

junk2drive: was that "Empire?" [/qb]

I remember Empire! It was a bit different from that described here - I don't recall bombers or factories? Been many years. I remember designing maps for it, and you would have to explore the planet and remove the black square from each map tile as you went. [/QB]