An opinion

poppy

"Brothers in Arms", is this the game coming out in January based on the airborne part of Overlord? Yes, I'm anticipating that too. As to Redwolfs idea for plugging in your own AI, I am mixed. Obviously the game needs to get more detailed and complicated for grogs and introverts, but I like the relative simplicity of the games. An way to turn these uber-complicated options on and off would be nice. Then the detail would be only as much as each individual wanted. WE are at the point where the game will either compromise, or some people will not like it. CM has a pretty large following, with two basic camps. One is people obsessed with historical accuracy and the like, the other is people who just want a fun WWII strategy game with limited toughness.

Thanks, I'll check out those authors again. I've played a random handful of scenarios where the AI is supposed to be challenging and had mixed results - I was looking for anything that really stood out in someone's experience. But then again I guess even that is relative - I send my Churchill 20m to the left of where you sent yours and the entire AI 'plan of action' changes... smile.gif

Originally posted by Ansbach:

Thanks, I'll check out those authors again. I've played a random handful of scenarios where the AI is supposed to be challenging and had mixed results - I was looking for anything that really stood out in someone's experience. But then again I guess even that is relative - I send my Churchill 20m to the left of where you sent yours and the entire AI 'plan of action' changes... smile.gif

I'll bite... :D try both HSG KC Lt. Oberloskamp and HSG KC Hptstrmfhr Ullrich against the AI. They are both CMBB scenario that were designed from the beginning as vs the AI scenarios Both can be found on the Scenario Depot.

There are also HSG 3AD Mud Blood and Mines and HSG 3AD SS Slugfest vs AI. These were also both made for play against the AI for CMAK and are also to be found on the Scenario Depot.

All HSG scenarios have been extensively playtested and should give you a good battle against the computer if they list H2H play in the briefing. :D The Knights Cross series (HSG KC)has been made especially tough against the computer. After all it's not easy to win the Knights Cross... :D :eek: There are currently two KC scenarios posted at the Scenario Depot and another one being playtested at The Proving Grounds at this moment.

Good Hunting.

Sorry to highjack poppy's thread, but Ansbach, how do you define challenging?

A draw? A minor victory? Do you ever give the AI +1 and +25 or 50 ? Do you play scenarios that suggest giving the AI a bonus?

EDIT (these are just questions, meant to be friendly)

There is a big difference between a 12 year old using the editor to make a random map, throwing some Tigers in one corner, Shermans in the other calling it done, and a well done, historical, playtested from every angle, by various skilled players, actual scenario.

I have playtested some that were so far over my skills that I gave up trying.

Lucho has one called C-First Strike at the Proving grounds. Brit commando raid on Germans in Norway. I still haven't finished that one, but I will return when I learn some new tricks.

My "Brer Rabbit" Vietnam battle is a little different than the norm.

[ November 29, 2004, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: junk2drive ]

Thanks poppys and junk2drive. I wouldn't really call it a hijacking because I feel just like poppys and was expanding on it a bit - maybe more of a mugging? smile.gif

I meant it as more of a quick general comment looking for "the best of the best" type single player scenarios that stood out in peoples' minds and that I may have missed.

I am more of a casual player who doesn't keep up with all of the latest mod happenings, but I have been playing since CMBO. I tend to be unreliable for PvP games so mostly stick to single player. I prefer smaller sized historical battles and don't usually mess with the AI adjustments unless it's mentioned in the briefing - theoretically if the TO&E is carefully researched, AI adjustments would just 'mess them up' wouldn't they!?

Also, I wanted to throw the question out there for others benefit in case they have missed' some of the better scenarios as well. Maybe a new post on "what is your favorite scenario?". But you answered it just fine the first go-round. smile.gif

BTW - I downloaded "Hans' Small Operations" on your recommendation and am about to give it a go this evening.

I also play the tabletop miniatures game Battlefront:WWII and use CM to create scenarios for BF sometimes, or vice-versa. Works great!

[ November 30, 2004, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: Ansbach ]

I hope you try mine and enjoy them. I have looked at a few miniatures websites for scenario ideas and visuals from their wares. I modded the small shack in CMAK to look like a tent surrounded by sandbags from a miniatures photo of a bunker in a Vietnam game.

You will find that scenario designers have a "style" like artists and you will like some more than others.

I agree with poppys.

I work in a food store so I get my fair share of people . I also hang out with friends and play badminton and some other sports.

When I sit in front of the computer I want to fly away into a dream-land of dramatic battles and heroic infantry/tank action. I don't want to play some other guy while discussing the football game from the other night.

Give me a decent AI, some random maps, a strategic element(map) to round out the tactical maps and I'm a happy camper.

//Salkin

I play human opponents at times too smile.gif

And I agree with Salkin, I play CM for relaxation, but after four years of playing the AI,mostly on the attack, I look forward to an AI that uses the roads on the approach, sends out recon units, calls off the attack if losses are too sever and no advantage is gained. Uses tanks and infantry together in the assault. And for the senario creators the ability to instruct the attacking forces to use roads in the approach, to send out patrols, and to attack based on the feedback from these patrols, and from spotters. poppys

Notice that I didnt say any thing about an improvement in the graphics. But, destructible terraine, both from artillary fire and use, ie,tanks tearing up roads, would add to the pleasure of the game. But as far as the infantry and vehicle models go, and with the improvements made by the modding community,bless them, its ok as is. poppys

I usually play vs PBEM because both my opponent and I are constantly improving our respective strategies and it is fun to try to out-guess a human.

Vs the AI I usually play at night when the wife is in bed and I have had a few drinks. I try to give the AI a big boost (at least 50%, maybe more) and a lot of times I will get beaten.

If you play vs. AI you want to pick scenarios where they have a good chance. These scenarios are:

- where they don't have artillery. The AI is terrible at arty - they don't plot well, anticipate or do much with TRP's

- the AI is also terrible with mortars. They seem to drag them around the battlefield and don't shoot from an HQ. Don't waste their $$ on mortars or arty

- the AI can't put people in trucks or halftracks. Don't expect them to use these vehicles

- however, if you give the AI good armor, infantry and MG's - the AI can do OK on an attack, especially if you are outnumbered. You can give yourself lower ammo or casualties to simulate a pre-game bombardment. Expect a frontal attack like the russians would deliver, with little finesse. The AI tends to drive everyone at the same time so the vehicles arrive in dribs and drabs and the infantry later - scouting is poor and coordination is low

- on defense, if you give the AI trenches, AT guns and infantry, the AI can put up a good fight. Often their positioning will be poor but if there is lots of terrain they can surprise you

- certain eras are VERY challenging as the attacker. Take the italians or british on the attack in 1940 and early 1941 - they don't have much inherent HE capability at all - the italians especially tend to do poorly on the attack - if you can win with them, you are doing OK

Thus the key IMHO is to pick AI forces that they can control, give them a boost, and maybe attack with a dis-advantageous group.

I agree that a great AI is important - it is also good to have PBEM because even the best AI can't touch a human.

I agree with you once again Salkin, I believe that most of the people that play CM never read the forums much less join them and thats probably how it is with most games. The vocal minority are the most influential in game designe as in any thing else that depends on "customer input". I believe that that is the reason that follow on games are usualy not as successful as the original. BF would do well, in my humble opinion, to go back to the thinking that created CM and do what they would have done four years ago had they been able to. Probably some of the designers of CM are introverts also. smile.gif poppys

I haven't spoken up in this thread because over the years I've already expressed my views on this subject on more than one occasion. However, just for the record, I will say that I broadly agree with poppys and Salkin. Although I am not especially introvert, I am a misanthrope and prefer to keep my dealings with twisted, deranged gamers to a safe minimum. For all its faults, I still prefer to play the AI. It is patient and does not harass me if I am late with a turn nor harangue me if I get bored with a game and do not complete it. It does not boast if it wins nor whine if I do. It is always the best of sports, and I am always sure to send flowers on Valentine's Day.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

Although I am not especially introvert, I am a misanthrope and prefer to keep my dealings with twisted, deranged gamers to a safe minimum. For all its faults, I still prefer to play the AI. It is patient and does not harass me if I am late with a turn nor harangue me if I get bored with a game and do not complete it. It does not boast if it wins nor whine if I do. It is always the best of sports, and I am always sure to send flowers on Valentine's Day.

You just enjoy the easy conquests... I dare you to try PBEM with me!!! (But you'll have to send me flowers if you enjoy it.)