**** ROW IV *****

Originally posted by wadepm:

I have never had a problem with corrupted unzipped files. Which mail systems are you talking about?

Microsoft exchange servers are often very disconfigured and scramble text by trying to convert the text. Examples are automic line re-breaking, charset conversions, conversion to quoted-printable etc. As long as you don't touch the MS trash at the server side or have a thinking admin on the echange server (rare combination) you should be fine and can save the transfer volume by not zipping the moves.

Personally I want the stuff unzipped because I have PBEM moves processed partly automatically and I don't want to teach it to recognize random forms of compression and binary attachment handling.

Also, there are spamfilter which are braindead enough to just look for keywords. In a text file with megabytes of "random" ascii chars you are guaranteed you accidentially produce some of the no-words.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Ted:

No that wasn’t me.

Karnak and I have contacted each other.

I think it was Roger Travis that’s looking for confirmation.

I’m innocent I tell ya.

(and ready to go)

There will be a time far, far in the future... when everybody has a e-mail that correspond with his nickname.... And then (possibly I'm not alive then) you can use the name of the person you mend in one time without trying to learn all those complicated E-mail adresses@rr.net.com.au.ouch. ;)

[ February 11, 2004, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: Jaws ]

Originally posted by Jaws:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ted:

No that wasn’t me.

I’m innocent I tell ya.

(and ready to go)

There will be a time far, far in the future... when everybody has a e-mail that correspond with his nickname.... And then (possibly I'm not alive then) you can use the name of the person you mend in one time without trying to learn all those complicated E-mail adresses@rr.net.com.au.ouch. ;) </font>

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Jaws:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ted:

No that wasn’t me.

I’m innocent I tell ya.

(and ready to go)

There will be a time far, far in the future... when everybody has a e-mail that correspond with his nickname.... And then (possibly I'm not alive then) you can use the name of the person you mend in one time without trying to learn all those complicated E-mail adresses@rr.net.com.au.ouch. ;) </font>

It would be very nice if people were careful to either use an email address which has a direct visible connection to the nickname.

Failing that, you should always mention your nickname in every mail. Remember we play for months, even connections I mentally established now I will have swapped out by May.

... you mean kinda like... Richie, or... Michael Dorosh...

By the way, do you really cross your fingers and hope for the best? I always thought someone with thirteen thousand, one hundred and sixty seven posts up would have it all sussed out. That really is kind of scarey... No really

:eek:

Just a note that I have recieved requests for email addresses for the tourney, and should be processing them by saturday at the latest. So, if you asked, sit tight. If you dont get by saturday afternoon, feel free to ask again as signals might have got crossed.

WWB

Replacement List:

ON DECK: Platonov

In the hole: RegSlaw

Next in order:

Nestor

Levitacus

John Osborne

MG42

Vorishilov

herrbixx

Enqvist

sandy

AC

BigMik1

Beyond that, there are some reliable vets to be called on.

If anybody has a question about this, drop me an email off line. Everybody on the list should keep an eye on the thread as this thing gets going.

Are the scenarios small-med-large-huge or all of the above?
They will vary, but you need to be ready to play large scenarios. See above if this is an issue for your email.

Originally posted by Panther Commander:

Been gone a couple of weeks but back on the home front now. Are the scenarios small-med-large-huge or all of the above?

Panther Commander

All of the above and some absolute whoppers with 2Meg plus files on a regular basis.

Make sure you can handle these games and if in doubt talk to us before starting the tourney.

H

Update time, so gather 'round...

All that is left to do is prep the scenarios and begin sending out setup files. Given the large number of e-mails involved I may start the tourney early, perhaps even as early as tonight. This will lighten my load up considerably.

Depending on which side you play you will receive one of two different e-mails for each first round scenario.

If you are the axis player you will get the following:

Setup file w/ axis password

Overall briefing

Axis briefing

Name & e-mail address of your opponent

If you are the allied player you will get the following:

Allied password

Overall briefing

Allied Briefing

Name & e-mail address of your opponent

The German player will begin the match by opening up the scenario w/ his PW, setting up his forces, and sending the file to his opponent. From this point on the game progresses just like any normal pbem game. Its totally up to you and your opponent if you want to proceed via TCP/IP. However, keep in mind that we have a 120 day deadline, so if you burn through your games quickly you will be waiting a while afterwards.

***very important***

Please use the passwords that have been chosen. This will ensure that a replacement player can take over in the event you need to withdraw from the tourney.

Also, remember that once the tourney begins we are in a EFOW lockdown, so no mention at all of any FOW sensitive material, either here or via e-mail. If you need to discuss something that may contain spoiler info you can e-mail me, Holien or Spanish Bombs directly.

Originally posted by Holien:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Panther Commander:

Been gone a couple of weeks but back on the home front now. Are the scenarios small-med-large-huge or all of the above?

Panther Commander

All of the above and some absolute whoppers with 2Meg plus files on a regular basis.

Make sure you can handle these games and if in doubt talk to us before starting the tourney.

H </font>

Originally posted by Sgt_Kelly:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kingfish:

***very important***

Please use the passwords that have been chosen. This will ensure that a replacement player can take over in the event you need to withdraw from the tourney.

I'm sure you are aware this can be enforced ? </font>

Originally posted by Sgt_Kelly:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kingfish:

***very important***

I'm sure you are aware this can be enforced ? </font>

Originally posted by Kingfish:

Please 'splain [/QB]

You can send out saved games with the passwords already entered and still have both sides able to do their setup - this is standard practice in CMMC and I've done it many times.

1) Tournament save the scenario.

2) Start the scenario as if you were going to play it hotseat.

3) Enter first player password.

4) Hit 'Go'.

5) Enter second player password.

6) DO NOT hit 'Go'. Instead, hit 'Alt-S' and save the game.

Send out this saved game file to the SECOND player. Now both players must use the passwords you've already enetered, and both still get to do setup.

Steve