**** ROW IV *****

Originally posted by Steve McClaire:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kingfish:

Please 'splain

You can send out saved games with the passwords already entered and still have both sides able to do their setup - this is standard practice in CMMC and I've done it many times.

1) Tournament save the scenario.

2) Start the scenario as if you were going to play it hotseat.

3) Enter first player password.

4) Hit 'Go'.

5) Enter second player password.

6) DO NOT hit 'Go'. Instead, hit 'Alt-S' and save the game.

Send out this saved game file to the SECOND player. Now both players must use the passwords you've already enetered, and both still get to do setup.

Steve [/QB]</font>

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Kingfish:

Interesting. For the most part it is identical to the way it was done for previous ROW tourneys, but with the exception that we didn't tourney save the scenario. IIRC, this was discussed in the first ROW, and for some reason Treeburst chose not to do it that way.

Ah - Michael Dorosh's comment about being able to open the files made me think otherwise. I am not sure if the tournament save is strictly necessary, as I don't believe you can load a 'started' game in the scenario editor anyway.

Steve

I think the reason Treeburst didn't use the tournament save was that the only feature it offers -hidden briefing- doesn't work, one side could get to the other side's briefing.

Actually somebody else figured all this out, but this is the reason why they replaced tournament save with this early-abortion setup that still allows players to set up after they receive their moves.

It is also the reason why briefings are not in the scenario but transferred seperately.

Originally posted by Steve McClaire:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kingfish:

Interesting. For the most part it is identical to the way it was done for previous ROW tourneys, but with the exception that we didn't tourney save the scenario. IIRC, this was discussed in the first ROW, and for some reason Treeburst chose not to do it that way.

Ah - Michael Dorosh's comment about being able to open the files made me think otherwise. I am not sure if the tournament save is strictly necessary, as I don't believe you can load a 'started' game in the scenario editor anyway.

Steve </font>

Kingfish,

Will go to war on a rented 400 MHz Mac G4 tower w/ 512 MB RAM and 16 MB VRAM (stock ATI board, methinks). Is this enough cybernetic horsepower? Hope so! I wanted something with more oomph, but OS 9 machines are in high demand, and this was the last one the firm had. Far from cheap solution, but this time I had some fiscal wiggle room I didn't in RoW III.

Regards,

John Kettler

OK, I did some research, going back to ROW I and this is what I came up with:

ROW I

Scroll halfway down page 5 to Juha Ahoniemi's post. There the question of file security is first brought up. Note that Leland Tankersley describes a security flaw with the tourney save option. A couple of post farther down and we have Treeburst describing the method chosen, the same one that I used for the ROW III finals. Finally, check out Treeburst's second post on the next page. That pretty much eliminates the tourney saved option.

Just to be sure I have e-mailed Treeburst. Hopefully he will respond soon. In the meantime I will do a couple of dry runs with the method described above to see how secure it is.

Steve McClaire's procedure is secure[1] and what has been used in previous ROWs. I know because I was the one that suggested it to Treeburst back in #1 :D . I have used it in all of my campaign games as well. The tournament save is not neccessary, and in fact I don't like it because after tourny-saving I inevitably discover something else I need to change. Once the passwords are entered the game can't be entered except with the password.

[1]In CMBO and CMBB. My only worry is importing the saved file into a new QB. It seems to import the map but not the units (what I was worried about). However I've heard of people importing units into QBs, but I'm not up on the procedure. Perhaps you can only do that if you save the end game file?

ROW IV has officially started, with the first e-mails going out a few minutes ago.

If you do not receive an e-mail from me for 'Frontier Firefight '40' please let me know asap. You might want to give it a an hour or two just to be sure.

I'm planning on sending out another this afternoon, and a third this evening. The remaining two will go out on Sunday.

Good luck to all

Received, setup and sent off the 1st turn on the Frontier.

Great map and great situation.

You just can’t make quick battles like these.

Thanks and well done to all the RoW team.

HD, that’s the email address I have for Karnak and we’ve had several correspondences so far.

I don’t seem to have heard from Gator6 @ jboyne@attglobal.net. He’s the British in Frontier so I hope he’s with us.

I've received the list and my first match is listed as:

MrSpkr vs Brent Pollack [sic]

The same e-mail also included the Allied briefing. According to this blurb from the ROW rules section at Boots & Tracks, "Each player will receive the schedule for his section only. Where your name is on the LEFT you will play the Allied side for that scenario...", I should be playing the Axis side...or is that guideline not being used for ROW IV?

Originally posted by Kingfish:

ROW IV has officially started, with the first e-mails going out a few minutes ago.

If you do not receive an e-mail from me for 'Frontier Firefight '40' please let me know asap. You might want to give it a an hour or two just to be sure.

I'm planning on sending out another this afternoon, and a third this evening. The remaining two will go out on Sunday.

Good luck to all

So far I have received nothing. I've even emailed you directly and nothing. You trying to tell me something??!! :D

Panther Commander

Originally posted by Brent Pollock:

I've received the list and my first match is listed as:

MrSpkr vs Brent Pollack [sic]

The same e-mail also included the Allied briefing. According to this blurb from the ROW rules section at Boots & Tracks, "Each player will receive the schedule for his section only. Where your name is on the LEFT you will play the Allied side for that scenario...", I should be playing the Axis side...or is that guideline not being used for ROW IV?

Brent,

you nearly gave me a heart attack when I read your post. I just checked my spreadsheet - you are the allied player in FF40. I didn't follow the procedure as it was written in the blurb. Instead, the axis is on the left - allied on the right. This will be the same arrangement I will use for the other e-mails, which btw I am organizing at this very moment.

File #2 will be uploading in a bit.

Panther Commander,

I'll resend the file again. Since you are the allied player you will only get the overall and allied briefing. Your opponent will send you his setup. If he doesn't respond in a few days let me know.

I didn't follow the procedure as it was written in the blurb. Instead, the axis is on the left - allied on the right.
I offer the suggestion that now would be a good time to start a new RoW IV thread, and emphasize that point. It might save you a lot of repetition later on.

Have received my Axis setup for FF40 and sent same to my designated opponent.

Kingfish,

Excellent! The rented rig (mit glorious 18" NEC LCD) is here, and the CMAK demo ran flawlessly (transparent dust!) as downloaded. I have received several setups from you, but can't specify which as my E-mail files are now on the new rig, presently in the midst of the massive CMAK install. This is being written on the old rig, aided by a borrowed router. Pretty technogeek, what? Once CMAK downloads, I'll give it a quick function test, then download the patch. After that, it's clobbering time!

Considering that other than the CMAK Sneak Preview I've been unable to play any CM game for months, I have lots of pent up aggression to unleash on my hapless foes. The key will be to not get my head lopped off in the process--while taking theirs.

Regards,

John Kettler

I presume that that the tournament will be played using version 1.01 since the patch was released prior to any files being sent out. I recall that there was some discussion early on about what to do if patches were released during the tourney but have not seen anything since.

In any case I am running 1.01 and I expect everyone else is by now as well.

If 1.02 comes out during the next 120 days what is the "rule" for that? (upgrade or stay at 1.01?)

Andrew