**** ROW IV *****

“The guns are rumbling...the war is on”

Wild Bill Wilder

“The default value in these scenarios is military nightmare”

John Kettler

“Americans swarm towards me through the smoke”

Svennson

“My first shot missed, but I was not worried. Then the

second missed, and the enemy noticed me... but his return missed.

Then my third shot missed. But his second did, too.

Then my fourth shot missed. And this time, his shot did not miss”

Leonard Dickens

“To people who want to play these when they are released please do so with care, in a darkened room and with a friend close at hand”

Holien

“I am currently embroiled in "Sounds in the Night" with Greg and let me just say there is a special place in the 7th circle of hell for whoever designed this one. I suggest it be destroyed after the Tourney in order to prevent it from escaping and destroying society as we know it. Personally, I am going to need therapy after this game”

The Capt

Gentlemen!

The time has arrived!

I am pleased to announce that the fourth Rumblings of War tournament will officially kick off on February 15th, with signups beginning on Feb 1st. A new game, all new scenarios, some new faces, and a few new rules. But before I start explaining the new changes I better back up a bit and explain what the Rumblings of War (a.k.a ROW) tournament is all about. There are some new members to this board, and most are wondering "WTF is he talking about?" Therefore, I recommend you go to the Boots and Tracks web site and click on the ROW tab. The official tourney manual will explain all you need to know about the Rumblings of War tournament. I would strongly recommend you bookmark the site, not only to keep tabs on the latest ROW news, but also because ROW is only a small part of what Boots and Tracks has to offer.

BTW, most of the tourney manual was written by Treeburst 155, the original tourney master for the Rumblings of War tournament. Wyatt and I just edited a few lines to reflect the new changes in ROW. In fact, 90% of the rules and organizations that we use in ROW are the results of his hard work. Thanks, Mike.

Ok, now that we have a better understanding of what is ROW I'll take this opportunity to explain the new changes, and introduce the FNGs tongue.gif

First off, AARs are mandatory! Yes sir, everybody contributes. Now, why do I need to make them mandatory? Well, because I’ve noticed a sharp decline in the number submitted since I’ve began collecting them. With ROW I I received at least 3 from each player. By ROW III I was lucky to get 3 from each section. Not good. Please re-read the AAR section of the tourney manual to better understand how AARs benefit both you as a player, the scenario designers and the CM community as a whole.

Secondly, the Nabla scoring system has been modified from what was originally used in ROW I & II. The original DOS based code is no longer available, so we have gone to a simpler version that can be run on MS-Excel. This newer version was used successfully to calculate the scores for the ROW III finals, and will be the scoring system we will use from here on in.

Thirdly, I’ve brought in some reinforcements. Holien and Spanish Bombs, both long time ROW vets, will now assist me with the day-to-day tasks of keeping you all in line. This will be a very informal arrangement, with each of us helping the other out, so feel free to contact any of us in case you have questions or need assistance.

OK, that’s it for now. Remember, sign ups begin on Feb 1st, so don’t bother clogging up this thread with ‘pick me, pick me’ posts. It ain’t gonna work. We’re looking at having a signup page added to the Boots and Tracks web site. I’ll keep you all posted on the progress of that. I’ll also add new information to this thread once I receive them.

[ January 17, 2004, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: Kingfish ]

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Mikeydz:

Can I assume that ROW vets still have priority during the initial signup period to grab a chair in the game?

Just wanted to know if ROW Overflow players will be considered ROW vets in light of the outcome of the Overflow tourney.

Also, there seemed to be a lot of discussion regarding what to do when patches came out in the middle of the tourney. Will a policy be established beforehand for this tourney?

Hi,

Just a quick answer to the question posed about sign up.

When the sign up period is over the list will be scanned first for Vets of ROW I, II and III. These will be moved up the list to ensure that they have a place.

Then Vets of any two of ROW's.

Then Vets of any one ROW.

Then overflow tourney players.

Then anyone else if there is space.

The only exclusion to this would be if Vets of ROW I, II, or III had dropped out of any of those tourneys. It would have to be considered if they had earned a Vet Status or would be grouped at the end. This would be I guess a case by case decision.

The overiding aim is to get players who will stick with it and commit to playing the games in a reasonable time frame. This time frame will be established when the rules are issued.

As for the issue on patches in the past we have stuck with the game as started. That way everyone is on a level playing field.

The only way you could change that is if everyone in the tourney agreed to upgrade. If you have just one objection then it stays on the same level of patch.

I hope this helps?

H

Originally posted by Holien:

Hi,

Just a quick answer to the question posed about sign up.

When the sign up period is over the list will be scanned first for Vets of ROW I, II and III. These will be moved up the list to ensure that they have a place.

Then Vets of any two of ROW's.

Then Vets of any one ROW.

Then overflow tourney players.

Then anyone else if there is space.

The only exclusion to this would be if Vets of ROW I, II, or III had dropped out of any of those tourneys. It would have to be considered if they had earned a Vet Status or would be grouped at the end. This would be I guess a case by case decision.

The overiding aim is to get players who will stick with it and commit to playing the games in a reasonable time frame. This time frame will be established when the rules are issued.

As for the issue on patches in the past we have stuck with the game as started. That way everyone is on a level playing field.

The only way you could change that is if everyone in the tourney agreed to upgrade. If you have just one objection then it stays on the same level of patch.

I hope this helps?

H

It appears that the criteria for getting into the Tournament precludes anyone, who like myself, may be interested, but has never played in a tournament before.

If that is the case, why don't you just email the 72 people that qualify and ask them if they want to play, before advertising to those who don't have a chance at getting in anyway? :confused:

Panther Commander

Originally posted by Panther Commander:

It appears that the criteria for getting into the Tournament precludes anyone, who like myself, may be interested, but has never played in a tournament before.

If that is the case, why don't you just email the 72 people that qualify and ask them if they want to play, before advertising to those who don't have a chance at getting in anyway? :confused:

Panther Commander

Its far easier to post once than send out 100+ e-mails.

BTW, don't count yourself out just yet. For one, not all of the vets will respond (I know of 4 that automatically excluded). Secondly, all those who didn't make the first cut will go into a reserve pool, which we will draw from in order to replace dropouts, AWOL, etc. Those reserve players automatically inherit the previous player's score, so there is a possibility that a replacement can go to the finals, and win the wine.

I think you are reading too much into this.

While veterans are given priority we generally get at least a few new folks in. In addition, this is the largest one yet, so there are plenty of slots. Make sure to hit the signups early and you should have a very good shot at getting in.

WWB

As a ROW111 participant (knocked out in round 1 :( ) I hope I can get a seat at this one.

Now that I have honed my skills to the nth degree I should, barring bad-luck, poor play on my part and brilliant play on my opponents' behalf, be able to win easily smile.gif

Unfortunatley, I suspect all three of those factors will be present to some extent :rolleyes:

PS

Holien, does the fact that you are now an "official" mean you won't be participating?

I do hope not as I wish to beat the bejabbers out of you in this one ;)

Ahh,

The tourney after my wine heart. Good wine, no excellent wine, will be stashed away in my cellar tonight for the 3 worthy winners (12 bottles each) of RoW IV.

ADVICE:

Don't sleep close to the date of 1 Feb. when the sign-ups begin gentlemen.

Sincerely,

Charl Theron

logo.gif

-----------------------------------------------------

Wine donations send to the following for their contributions to CM:

</font>

• Staff @ Battlefront.com</font>
  • Fuerte for his PBEM HELPER</font>
  • Manx (He used to run the “sexiest CMBO modsite on the net”)</font>
  • Boots & Tracks (RoW tournament scenarios)</font>
  • Andrew Fox (modding art)</font>
  • Keith Miller @ Scenario Depot</font>
  • Gordon Molek for his CMMOS utility</font>

Sponsor of the following Combat Mission tournaments:

</font>

[ January 21, 2004, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: WineCape ]

Jim,

I will not be playing in the games and felt it was time to give you a chance to get into the finals.

;)

I do get to play the scenarios and my lips are sealed on what is in them.

As for the perceived lack of spaces I really don't think that will be a problem. Yes you will always get some people who don't make it into the tourney but that is life.

As stated above we want people who will complete all the games in a reasonable time frame and produce AAR's.

The Vets have been there and done it and if they want to play again and sign up within the time limits given then they will earn a place because they are known to meet the critera.

Jim was in the same boat as you Panther Commander, last tourney and he managed to get in. So please don't feel hard done by it is just a way of ensuring we have a succesful tourney with players who will complete the games and give the community AAR's.

H

[ January 21, 2004, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: Holien ]

Originally posted by Holien:

Jim,

I will not be playing in the games and felt it was time to give you a chance to get into the finals.

;)

I do get to play the scenarios and my lips are sealed on what is in them.

As for the perceived lack of spaces I really don't think that will be a problem. Yes you will always get some people who don't make it into the tourney but that is life.

As stated above we want people who will complete all the games in a reasonable time frame and produce AAR's.

The Vets have been there and done it and if they want to play again and sign up within the time limits given then they will earn a place because they are known to meet the critera.

Jim was in the same boat as you Panther Commander, last tourney and he managed to get in. So please don't feel hard done by it is just a way of ensuring we have a succesful tourney with players who will complete the games and give the community AAR's.

H

I'll give it a shot and see what happens. What time zone is this sign up anyway? :D

If you're first to sign up you might be first to win the gold...er...grapes!!! :D

Panther Commander

I am among the fortunate few as one of the three time vets of ROW tourneys--but there aren't that many of us. The original ROW tourney had just 24 participants. This one has 72. Four of the original 24 are now working for B&T, so they are ineligible. A few others have moved on with their lives in other directions. So there are maybe 15 or 18 who might grab the guaranteed slots. Others will have some preference for doing one or two previous ROW's. But there are bound to be a healthy number of open slots for new participants. Then some of the people who sign up will have to drop out for real life issues, giving waiting listers their chance.

And I got into the first ROW as the first off the waiting list. Several others also came in to that first tourney off the waiting list after I did. So there is hope. Just hang in there and all will soon be clear...The key, once you've made the tourney, is simply to complete all your games in a reasonable time and write your AARs. That makes you a vet, and, as such, a valued commodity for future tourney directors. It's the people who abandon their games midway (and there are always a few) who give tourney directors gray hairs, :D

[ January 21, 2004, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: CombinedArms ]

Originally posted by CombinedArms:

I am among the fortunate few as one of the three time vets of ROW tourneys--but there aren't that many of us. The original ROW tourney had just 24 participants. This one has 72. Four of the original 24 are now working for B&T, so they are ineligible. A few others have moved on with their lives in other directions. So there are maybe 15 or 18 who might grab the guaranteed slots. Others will have some preference for doing one or two previous ROW's. But there are bound to be a healthy number of open slots for new participants. Then some of the people who sign up will have to drop out for real life issues, giving waiting listers their chance.

And I got into the first ROW as the first off the waiting list. Several others also came in to that first tourney off the waiting list after I did. So there is hope. Just hang in there and all will soon be clear...The key, once you've made the tourney, is simply to complete all your games in a reasonable time and write your AARs. That makes you a vet, and, as such, a valued commodity for future tourney directors. It's the people who abandon their games midway (and there are always a few) who give tourney directors gray hairs, :D

Man RoW I, that brings back memories..you guys remember having to take that quiz and write an essay to get into the thing?

How many RoW I vets do we still have around anyway?