Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

DSL Service IP Addy problem

I seem to be having a problem with getting a valid IP address for CM games.

Note: Win98 machine with DSL connection

I've got a DSL connection, but its a dynamically allocated IP addy through a local router at my apartment complex.

When I run winipcfg, it spits back an internal network address (10.0.0.blah) which is not what I want (CM also reports this as my current IP address). What I want is the IP address that my DSL service has given me to the outside world. When I go to one of th e numerous web pages folks have listed to find your IP address, it gives me a more reasonable one (and if I do a lookup it is an IP associated with my DSL service) so I suspect that ones right, but my opponent can't hook up to it - no connection can be established in CM.

I can connect to others machines without problem.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

sorry to say this but you will be unable to host games because your router is using NAT (network address translation). This lets multiple people use a single IP address. You should find out how many IP addresses your service provider allocated to your building. Do you have information on your DSL connection?

If your account with your ISP is for multiple IP addresses, the router needs one of them and the rest can be used, even through the router, as static IP addresses. Find out from who set up the network and post more questions and I'll try and help if I can.

scott karch

I have a similar setup in my condo building. DSL into an Airport base station that acts as a router. I got 4 IP addresses from my ISP, one is used by the router and everyone on the network connects via DHCP and gets the same kind of IP address you were talking about. 1.0.0.1 or something. I set up my personal machines to manually assign the IP addresses, so I have 3 computers with static IP addresses on the network. If you get tricky, you can set up a machine with a static IP address in the bogus stack of addresses like, 1.0.0.222 and have the router forward any IP packets that hit it to the 1.0.0.222 address... you. It's a bit of work, and you have to manually assign all the ports (IP ports not hardware ports) you want forwarded. Hope this is not too confusing. Please post more questions here and I'll try and help.

scott karch

The way i found my opponents IP was to start a FTP server. When someone with DSL connects to the FTP server, their "real" IP will be shown in the status window (u can then just shut down the FTP). Its just that the "cover" IP messes everything up.

With the "real" IP i could then connect and play..

I dont know of any other ways to find the IP tho.

------------------

AnimaLMotheR

I've become death...