Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Where do I find Arty call times?

c3k

Gents,

I'm familiar with the increased delay with higher echelon artillery. I'm familiar with decreased delay with TRPs. Great. Big cheer for me.

How do I KNOW what to expect from my FO's during setup?

In a 25 turn game, will that 204mm strike ever land? Or as soon as I press "GO", have I forsaken that ability if I haven't used it as a pre-planned strike?

Sure, I _may_ get a chance to use my corps level artillery in a 60+ turn battle. I'll probably get to use that 81/82mm mortar FO in a short battle. What about everything else?

I'm not looking for a hard and fast number. I know that various factors, e.g. visibility, LOS, fitness and experience will delay and cause variability to the actual strike time.

I'm looking for a time to use during the setup phase. Click on the FO and, in the unit information window, in addition to caliber and tube count, why not put a range of times? "Division Level, 6 tube, 150mm battery: 6-9 minutes." SOMETHING!!

There is nothing much more frustrating than starting a scenario, and then, on turn 1, you realize you've messed up due to a coordination issue to which any RL commander would've had a clue to ballpark times.

(Okay, there MAY be one or two other things in life more frustrating than a game gone bad.)

Thanks,

Ken

I do not possess the information you seek, I'm afraid, but I can reassure you that no artillery in the game takes 25 minutes—or indeed anything like that long—to show up after it's been requested...at least so far as I have experienced, and I have used most everything up to 8". If you still find it not showing up as soon as you would like, have you considered using a pre-planned strike? You can set it to fall on any turn you like and it also falls exactly on target. On the other hand, once you set it and start the turn, you are committed. You can cancel it if you change your mind, but you can't shift it or reschedule it.

Michael

Michael,

EXACTLY!! How do I know when I want to use a pre-planned artillery strike? (By that, I mean one I set during the set-up phase.)

Once the set-up phase is over, it's too late to set one up. That's often when it's also too late to use an on-call artillery module.

You, the player, HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA HOW LONG - EVEN ROUGHLY - THAT IT WILL TAKE TO GET THE ARTILLERY ON TARGET. That is, until the game is underway. That's what I'd like to see rectified.

Give me a little window of availability, say, "10-18 Minutes". Something.

Ken

Originally posted by c3k:

You, the player, HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA HOW LONG - EVEN ROUGHLY - THAT IT WILL TAKE TO GET THE ARTILLERY ON TARGET.

I guess the only way you are going to get the kind of information you are looking for is to set up a test scenario where you can plug in all the different types and time them while keeping notes. And you should also note that times will vary somewhat according to the experience level of the FO.

Michael