Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

TCP/IP via AppleTalk network, how does it work?

Guest Germanboy

Guest Germanboy

Hi, am trying to get my two Macs to talk. I have established an Apple Talk network, but when I try to get the game going in multiplayer a screen pops up after the password dialogue saying 'Error - cannot open the TCP/IP network'.

I have selected Ethernet in the TCP/IP dialogue, and have entered generic subnet and IP addresses manually. No go.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have managed to get my Mac and a PC laptop talking for Starcraft, so somehow it must work.

Sorry for being such a moron.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 12-08-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

Sorry for being such a moron.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do not be bothered by Andreas, we expect nothing more from you.

------------------

Work is the curse of the drinking class.

I have nothing else to say. Ya, quote that you rat bastards.

-Meeks

Andreas - how are you hooking these two computers together ? Are they directly linked with a "cross-over" cable or are you going through a hub ? Is there any sort of "firewall" software/hardware between or monitoring the TCP/IP connection between these two computers ? Can you ping either computer from the other ? Are these computers hooked up to a larger TCP/IP network or are they isolated from it ? If they're isolated from a larger TCP/IP network I would suggest that you erase any settings for "Gateway" and "DNS server".

Can you see either computer's shared files/folders from the other ? I'm not sure if File Sharing via TCP/IP (File Sharing control panel) has to be turned on or not (I wouldn't assume it would be necessary for just a game). Have you tried turning off AppleTalk ?

Here's an Apple TIL on TCP/IP - though it probably won't address your problem since it is a generic intro to TCP/IP:

http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/N30999

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Andreas - how are you hooking these two computers together ? Are they directly linked with a "cross-over" cable or are you going through a hub ?

Cross-over

Is there any sort of "firewall" software/hardware between or monitoring the TCP/IP connection between these two computers ?

No

Can you ping either computer from the other ?

No idea, don't know how to do that.

Are these computers hooked up to a larger TCP/IP network or are they isolated from it ?

isolated

If they're isolated from a larger TCP/IP network I would suggest that you erase any settings for "Gateway" and "DNS server".

Tried that.

Can you see either computer's shared files/folders from the other ?

Yes

I'm not sure if File Sharing via TCP/IP (File Sharing control panel) has to be turned on or not (I wouldn't assume it would be necessary for just a game). Have you tried turning off AppleTalk ?

Hmm, had AppleTalk turned off, but the other on, that is a good point - I shall try and post here again.

Here's an Apple TIL on TCP/IP - though it probably won't address your problem since it is a generic intro to TCP/IP:

http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/N30999 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Schrullenhaft (have I ever told you that you have a great Handle biggrin.gif ) I was hoping for you to find this. I have tried a lot now, and nothing seems to work. I will try with File Sharing off again. Thanks for the help. My answers to your questions follow them.

Cheers.

------------------

Andreas

Guest Germanboy

Schrullenhaft, thanks for your help, that set me on the right path. It seems that one of my machines has to have AppleTalk off, in order to do TCP/IP, while the other is oblivious to it. One runs UK 9.04, the other Canadian (US?) 9.04 - wonder if that is the root cause of the problem. All well now. Lightning fast, as one can expect from two Macs!

Thanks again, your help is much appreciated. If you ever come to London, I owe you a beer.

------------------

Andreas