Mod organisation at CMMODS (Could/should it be improved (again)?)

I've just read, in three or four separate threads, how some CMBB mods are compatible with CMAK, and are probably "must haves".

And I think to myself "holy crap, how would I ever know that these mods would work with CMAK?".

Which leads me to think that storing mods by game version is perhaps not the way to go (!!).

Would it be better if CMMODS was just one big group of Mods, with each mod indicating which game(s) it is compatible with?

The transition would be easy: just mark each mod as compatible with the game its currently stored under. Then as people become aware that mods are compatible with other games, they can be updated to show that.

Then one could search for "CMAK ROADS" and find "Dirty Winter Roads" which otherwise might have been hiding in CMBB.

(OK, I know that someone put a copy into CMAK now, but that's just one example!)

Do enough people agree to see if we can persuade COG to change it?

GaJ.

[ February 22, 2004, 06:49 AM: Message edited by: GreenAsJade ]

Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Vergeltungswaffe:

Maybe just leave BO alone and combine the BB/AK sections, replacing the CMMOS line with CMAK, CMBB, or BOTH depending on the mod's compatibility.

Just a thought.

I was meaning to make a suggestion about

how Mods are organised at cmmoDs, not how

cmmoS works!! </font>

Originally posted by Shadow 1st Hussars:

Have you ever heard the line, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

Um, the whole reason for my post was to see if y'all think (like I do) that it's a little broke.

It's great, don't get me wrong.

But surely if there are mods in the CMBB section that are great for CMAK, it's a bt broke that there is no way to find that out.

GaJ.

Originally posted by Tanks a Lot:

I think Vergeltungswaffe's suggestion answers what you are looking for. He's saying to remove the question whether the mod is CMMOS compatible, and change it to which game(s) it is compatible with.

Ah! Now that makes a _lot_ of sense!

The one catch is that at the moment the Mods appear to be strongly segregated by game type. When you search CMAK mods for "sky" you don't find the "sky" mods in CMBB. That would still need to be changed.

Anyone else think it's worth asking COG about?

GaJ.

(Has anyone heard from COG recently? Is he going OK? ... it wasn't sounding great for him a while back)

I'm sure COG's got enough on his plate without messing around with the Database any further. Aside from some difficulty connecting ( occasionally ) CMMODS works great & it is free of charge to us so we shouldn't " bite the hand that feeds us " so to speak.

[ February 21, 2004, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: Rob Murray ]

Originally posted by Rob Murray:

I'm sure COG's got enough on his plate without messing around with the Database any further. Aside from some difficulty connecting ( occasionally ) CMMODS works great & it is free of charge to us so we shouldn't " bite the hand that feeds us " so to speak.

I dunno - most people who develop free services

are delighted to have polite suggestions for

improvement: how else would they know what their

loving crowds would like next?