"All or Nothing" crashes to Mac desktop

Beamup

A search indicates that this problem has come up before, but was never answered. Whenever I try to play "All or Nothing" on my G4/450 (stock) I can get somewhat into the scenario (sometimes 20 turns, sometimes right after setup) and, while the computer is thinking (apparently precisely when it finishes thinking), CM crashes to the desktop with no error messages. Reloading of saved games where the problem occurred has them recur. The problem persists after a full reinstall from CD (1.0, the second batch) and redownload/reapplication of v. 1.12, with extensions off. This bug affects, AFAIK, ONLY this scenario, but it manifests at some point during every attempt to play AoN. I have a saved game that exhibits this bug, if desired.

------------------

Beamup

Questions, comments, arguments, refutations, criticisms, and/or sea stories?

I only have generic solutions/questions since I didn't look up the previous Mac-related "All or Nothing" threads.

What MacOS are you running, 9.04, 9.1 or OSX ? You're loading up the latest OpenGL extension (1.2.1 ?) is that correct (which fixed a problem with some ATI Rage 128 Pro chipsets and text display within CM) ? How much memory do you have installed in your G4 ? Have you increased the "memory partition" to CM ? You may also want to disable virtual memory to see if this helps or not.

An update - I started trying some other things with this, and one of them worked. When I increased CM's RAM even more than I had, it processed the turn with no problems. So, this appears to be a memory problem, where occasionally it needs large quantities of RAM. Further testing showed that the turn would process with 20M more than the normal allocation (but 128M didn't work earlier for some reason - maybe it didn't have a free block that large?)