Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

IE5 and Outlook Express

I am getting a bit p****d off with this now. I have had a point put in so I can connect the desktop to the net for CMBO downloads and use of this forum. I use the e-mail faicility here quite a bit too. However, on my laptop I have no problems but on this thing!!!

When I open IE5 and go to 'read mail' - promptly nothing happens. I go to 'tools', 'options' etc. and when I get to 'e-mail program' the only option it offers me is the crappy outlook, despite express being installed. I then open express and go through the same procedure there and where it says 'make this default e-mail programme' I hit yes, 'apply' and 'close' and when I open it up again it says 'this is not your default programme!!!!!

I am tempted now to uninstall the bloody lot, IE5 and OE and start again and maybe these damned programmes will recognise each other and do what they're supposed to, rather than just lay dormant!!! Any help much appreciated. It may save a fist going through my monitor.

Apache:

I never did like Outlook. It's an over-bloated program that hogs memory and does less.

I tried it a while ago and had the same problems. I deleted it and reinstalled Outlook Express.

Before you go to the extreme and delete all, go to Microsoft's site and use their knowledge base. There may be a more simplified solution than unistalling everything.

------------------

Webmaster

http://www.trailblazersww2.org

http://www.vmfa251.org

IE & Outlook express are pains in the a***.

Your probably better off getting shot of them both and installing better software.

Found an excellent little program for getting rid of IE...."ieradicate"..if i remember correctly....just do a search for it on your favorite search engine(s),and get yourself "Opera"...(nice).

As for Outlook Express...if you want shot of that little beast,you'll have to read the Microsoft fact sheet on manually deleting it(again use your favorite search engine to find it).Then get yourself "pegasus email"(suites you sir!)

Which version of IE5 are you using? Make sure that you have the latest patches for that.

Try going to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and download any updates for IE, then proceed with the steps that you have already done such as IE/Tools/Internet Options/Programs/email etc. This is setting a registry value to use that particular program. For some reason, it sounds like that registry value is getting wiped out on that particular machine.

Thx folks. I uninstalled and re-installed OE and it's fine now. Probably re-wrote to the registry file once I did that. May well dabble with the suggested browser/mail changes in the future.

Im still on IE5.00.2614. Have heard some bad press about 5.5. I had it on the cover of a computer mag and when I installed it on a laptop I had no end of problems and had to uninstall it and re-install OE from another CD. OE was taking an absolute age to open with 5.5. Maybe an update from the MS site would be better? Still, in the absence of it offering me much more I see little point in risking another day lost piddling around with IE/OE.

FYI for future problems

if you need to change what program is your default for e-mail.

click on start/settings/control panel then click on internet options icon then the program tab.. that is the location that will setup what program is your default for the internet under window xx..

hope this helps..

arien

[This message has been edited by Arien (edited 03-18-2001).]