You've got 4 M10's in the open...

Enemy aircraft have been heard - what do you do?

Scattered trees are near but only a small patch, they'd be one big target there.

Stay still?

Move?

They're about 100m apart - disperse them more?

They're not directly in enemy view but it's close.

Would hiding make a difference?

Fast 2 to the trees?

Also, there's a lot of 50 cals scattered about, will they act as AAA?

Andreas if you're reading this, it's *nothing* to do with our game - OK? OK?!

Disperse them more. Depending on the aircraft and size of bomb, a single bomb run could potentially damage 2 M10s only 100m apart. Maybe move one into the trees, although I'm not sure this will make any difference since the plane will probably spot the M10 moving through the open to get to the trees.

The .50s on vehicle flex mounts will act as AAA. Ground-mounted .50s will not.

Hide will make no difference if they're in the open. Keep them unbuttoned and unhidden so they'll fire their .50s as AAA. I don't think buttoning makes much of a difference against air attack with open-topped vehicles, anyway.

Anyway you look at it, your M10s are probably screwed. Hope your opponent has a big pack of AFVs in the open just out of your sight, and that his Jabo decides to go after them instead.

Cheers,

YD

Originally posted by Sergei:

The .50 cals won't target the planes, unless they're flexible AA mounts in some AFV's. You should button up your AFV's and give them orders to move, you can't hide them anyway so the second best thing is make it harder to hit them.

If you button them the .50 cals wont fire, so that may not be the best move.

I just thought. The first sound of a passing plane is usually just a recon run, and there may be quite a bit of time before an actual attack (2-3 turns?). Hot-foooting it into some cover or between a couple big buildings may not be that bad an idea. You *might* attract an attack by movement in the open, or you're just a likely to make it safely under cover and be sitting peacefully by the time the plane's bombing run takes place.

Originally posted by Pzman:

Trust me, those .50 cals are useless. The pilot won't even flinch because of them. I'd rather concentrate on saving lives - for M10 even when buttoned the blast can kill them in the case of a big bomb, but I find it to be giving bigger chances.

Originally posted by Sergei:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Pzman:

Trust me, those .50 cals are useless. The pilot won't even flinch because of them. I'd rather concentrate on saving lives - for M10 even when buttoned the blast can kill them in the case of a big bomb, but I find it to be giving bigger chances. </font>

I've shot down more aircraft with 50. cals Shermans, although a little tougher skinned,and other allied tanks inluding an M10 at least once. Most likely because I don't often play QB, which means I will not always have Anti-Air Craft guns on hand. Considering that he has four, I'd say the chance is better than just buttoning and trying to run away. A combo of having the AA fire and moving the tanks away from each other could be the best move.

um

ok you got me

is that a REAL tactic that would work in the game

or nothing more than a Joke?

(its sort of sounds like a joke to me BUT then again it just might

work BUT I don't think the game can handle that kind of "fidelity"

"big dust screen obscurs tanks" SO it must be a joke)

so has anyone done this??

interesting

-tom w

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

And if you are in the desert, would the movement-generated dust help obscure you from the air? If that's the case, running your vehicles in a big circle so that each is in another's dust cloud might be a viable tactic.

Shades of the Old West! Circle the wagons, boys, the injuns is a'comin'!

:D

Michael

In my never to be humble opinion, it's like lightning, moving around doesn't help, you still have the same random chance to getting hit. Since the aircraft can't really target accurately anyway, you are as likely to drive into a bomb as away from it.

But, dispersing if you are closer thatn 100m is definitely a good idea. Othere than that I would just keep on with my original plan of attack, stay unbuttoned so you can use your .50s and pray for the best.

William

Unfortunatley, it's not the desert - I'd circle them just for kicks otherwise.

The .50 cals on the M10 are co-axial with the main guns aren't they? So no AAA from them.

I'll post the screenies when we're finished. I'm still waiting for the turn *cough hint*.

Originally posted by willbell:

Please excuse the typos, my editor ran off with my dog.

Of all the strange sentences I've read on this board this is right up there. Nice one.

The 12.7mm on the M-10 is flexible so it will shoot at the planes if unbuttoned. It does pretty good as AA with four of them firing.

I tried moving four M-10's in desert and the dust did seem to help some. The breeze made it better in one direction than another. The planes which I had several did prefer to attack when they weren't moveing, whether this was from dust or because they liked stationary targets better I don't know.

lee

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I tried to dash the M10's for cover. I buttoned them to make sure the TC wasn't taken out...

Or at least I thought I had. I always thought if you selected them all from the platoon leader & told him to change his state from buttoned to unbuttoned or vice versa, the rest of the platoon took their lead from him. Turns out, it's just a toggle. Therefore the ones which I tried to button became unbuttoned.

I'm quite glad they returned quite a lot of fire:

1.JPG

Not a conclusive test at all but it seems they put him off:

2.JPG

I think he was supposed to strafe but apart from engine sounds a few turns later, turn 78 Andreas - well..alright it *was* our match - how did you guess, he didn't have any more impact on the game.

So - it seems the best thing to do is move & shoot. Obviously the next time might be different but it's worth a go. I seemed to get very lucky in this game.