French Minefield Markers

Philippe

I'm continuing to make minefield markers for CMBO that are compatible with CMAK, and have moved on to the French. A bit under-researched, but a first step in upgrading the minor nationalities.

The French Anti-tank minefield marker looks a lot like the American one, except that the French tend to be better sign painters (has something to do with their obsession with handwriting).

FrenchAnti-TankMines.jpg

The French Anti-personnel minefield marker is a bit more idiomatic:

FrenchAnti-PersonnelMine.jpg

Many of the French were Vichy sympathizers. And some of them were just plain nuts. So in compliance with the law of July 29, 1881 we get this:

FrenchAnti-PersonnelMinev2.jpg

The French have a strong pre-1944 military tradition ( how's that for understatement!) so they would have been very likely to revert to whatever method they used in 1940. Until I find out what that was, this will have to do. I'm also concerned that while "gare aux mines" may be idiomatic civilian French, militaries of all nationalities have a habit of inventing their own incomprehensible jargon. Unfortunately I no longer have access to any French veterans of WWII. So any assistance with this project will be appreciated.

I'm sure the Polish situation would be somewhat parallel to the French -- Commonwealth in style, but with that little extra something. Does anyone know what they used, or how to say "mines" in Polish ?

The fun will really start when I move on to CMBB and try to do it in Finnish, Magyar, Russian, Soviet-style Polish, Italian, and Roumanian. Looking forward to making signs in Cyrillic.