Penetrating hits don't kill as much?

Originally posted by Big Demonic Bunny:

Odd. I know for a fact that the Strv122(Swedish version of the Leopard 2A5, with improved coms and armor...plus a few other features) has an ACTUAL front armorthickness of 1-1,5 meters. What the RHAe is for that I have no idea since it was way above my classification level(and I mean WAY above it).

Is that actual plate thickness or distance between the face of the front plate and the interior face?

There's a gap between the sloping plates on the Challenger turret front and the turret structure proper, and so too on the Leo 2A5/2A6 I would presume.

Note: I looked through the FAS OPFOR WEG. Most of those weapons have a penetration of about 400mm RHAe. The Panzerfaust 3, RPG-7V and RPG-29 have a penetration of about 750mm RHAe.

If the side and rear armour on a modern AFV is 0.4-0.7 times as thick as the front, I'd be surprised.

Originally posted by sightreader:

One of my friends had an aggravating experience with a Tiger. He had 2 shermans and 3 bazooka squads all over the thing, getting at least 6 penetrations from the side and rear and it wouldn't die.

Arn't people bored with playing with Shermans and tigers now.

I know i am

I am only going to play with PROPER Tanks from now on.

So that means only italian and early british tanks for me.

:D:D

The book "Guns Against Tanks" has some reports where 2 pdr portee units took on Italian and German tank attacks. The common experience was one good hit was enough to stop an Italian M13/40 or a PzKpfw II, but it took two good hits on average to stop a PzKpfw III.

The action took place early in the desert war and they were firing 2 pdr 40mm solid shot.

There is a picture of a Valentine which was penetrated over 15 times by 50mm rounds and still kept on fighting. Little rounds don't always do much.

Originally posted by flamingknives:

IRe: Abrams vs. HEAT, you can KO an Abrams from the side and rear with a number of LAW-type weapons. More to the point, someone did.

In the general forum there was a thread discussing it.

that thread is HERE.

Well, by no means am I an expert on these matters... but I have witnessed Abrams in the Gulf War.... and they are just about invincible against standard weapons. RPG-7V?? Kill an Abrams? Nah, the chances are so slim it's not worth mentioning. I remember a few times hearing an RPG go off nearby and the round just bounced off the hull of the Abrams... but im in Chemical, so like I said, by no means am I an expert.

All I know is America needs to sell a few dozen Abrams main battle tanks to Israel... :rolleyes:

I played Line of Defence against a friend TC/IP, and I had 3 shreck hits in one round. One sherman rear penetration inside 40 yards no kill, one stuart side turret penetration at about 180 yards (I couldnt believe the team didnt fire at the sherman again, but even more shocked they hit the stuart ;p) no kill, and then a second sherman frontally at about 80 yards, I believe a frontal turret penetration no kill. I was astounded nothing died and very frustrated while my opponant feigned his support for me while im sure he laughed like a maniac at his luck ;p