Please help a complete neophyte

Hi,

I am new to wargaming in general and to CM in particular, CMAK being the my first experience of the series.

Therefore, I am currently trying my hand at the Tiny scenarios, struggling to develop tactics and an understanding of how to run the force. I am already familiar with the interface and variety of commands and my difficulty is really in how to utilize my forces.

My question is about the scenario "Clash of the Titans." I have tried it several times, each time losing magnificently (no matter which side I played). This, coupled with the briefing declaring that if I play against the AI, then I should tip the balance of play to its favor, brought me to ask for help.

Any advice on how one should approach such a scenario, and/or references to places I can learn more tactics, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much!

Greetings,

the easiest thing to do, to bring you up to speed, is to search for the FAQ in this fine board.

There are LOTS of hints and tactics in there. I think the FAQ is mainly for CMBO and CMBB, but most of it should apply to CMAK.

And welcome to this fine communtity ... 8)

Scheer is absolutely right. The CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK, forums contain a wealth of information from players who know what they are doing. Its a great resource.

Also study AAR's. These let you see how other cyber-commanders handle their troops. Go here AAR's for them.

When all else fails get a human opponent (either live or PBEM) who is willing to help a new guy out.

My one suggestion is forget that CM's a game. Think of it as the real world. If it would be a good idea in the 'real world' to run and hide when the enemy comes attacking then try running and hiding in the game too! :D

The most common newbie mistake usually is to go in guns blazing like it was a shooter game. Know your enemy. Know how much abuse your side can be expected to take, know the terain. just like in the real world.

Wow, thanks for the pimp there Code. Unfortunately I no longer am with Comcast so the page is no longer updated. They have, however, failed to remove it so the link still works. But unfortunately, unless I use Geocitties or pay for a new web server, the site is all it's ever going to be. Unfortunate as I have three to four AARs that simply needed a few tuns and graphics added. But I hate ad pop-ups so geocitties isn't really an option.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

Know your enemy. Know how much abuse your side can be expected to take, know the terain. just like in the real world.

Seconded. Take at least a minute or two surveying the terrain before you start any battle. In many cases, proper use of the terrain can make the difference between stunning victory and bitter, shameful and charcoal-flavoured defeat. It's important for the defender, but equally (if not more so) important for the attacker.

Also, take a moment to check out relative armour vs. penetration strengths of your armour assets. I wasted a number of PzIIIs in pointless long-range shooting in the Fruhlingswind scenario before I figured out they had virtually no chance at penetration of the opposing Grants and Shermans until I closed the range.

Tactics change dramatically whenever you switch time periods (early, middle or late war) and geographic location.

Thanks for the help.

I used your advice (and the one in the other thread I opened by mistake), and am slowly starting to improve my results.

I have a couple more questions though arising from this newfound success.

Firstly, now that I am able to get my tanks and TDs into firing position, I find that allied tanks are generally more vulnerable than German tanks. In one case I had two tanks (M1A4) and three TDs (GMC) firing at a Tiger tank and it was able to torch both tanks and one TD before being knocked out itself.

Secondly, when assessing LOS from a position intended for a tank, should I be at vieweing level 1 or 2?

Thanks again.

Originally posted by The Hapless General:

I have a couple more questions though arising from this newfound success.

Firstly, now that I am able to get my tanks and TDs into firing position, I find that allied tanks are generally more vulnerable than German tanks. In one case I had two tanks (M1A4) and three TDs (GMC) firing at a Tiger tank and it was able to torch both tanks and one TD before being knocked out itself.

Mr.Picky would inform you that that's not a question. ;) But yes, the short 75 cannot penetrate the heavier German tanks very well. Remember that smoke is a valuable assett especially when dealing with the big cats, with cover of smoke you can move units into good fire positions, maybe attack it from both flanks or just let the firing squad to wait for the smoke to dissipate.

There are many threads on defeating Tigers though, try searching the CMBO archives. Also in CMBB, but you probably don't need to know how to kill Tigers with T-34/76's... smile.gif

As to #2, I'd say level 1 to be sure. But it can be a bit difficult to tell, especially when patches of forest lie between.

These comments will probably be too abstract until fleshed out by your own experience, but in any event, look at the strengths and weaknesses of the units you have (including their ammo loadouts), in light of the terrain. Choosing the appropriate unit for the appropriate task, in light of the terrain, in coordination, is the crux of the game.