Training Scenario Pack

Did anybody ever make a scenario pack that teaches u all the basic armor , infantry and combined arms tactics that a company/platoon commander would learn in basic training? If so can u post a link? If not can someone who knows these tactics make one? Pretty please with HE on top of it?

Good idea. I'll have a go at it.

We had such a pack - although not as complete as an entire basic training course it was enough to get new guys going - years ago for the CMMC. Both lost and useless now, but I guess it couldn't be that hard to reproduce.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

High explosives on top of a request? Sounds pretty brutal. An offer one can't refuse right?

Cheerio

Dandelion

You bring up a very good idea. I am not a scenario designer, but I have played around with your idea. The basic small unit attack tactic was the holding attack. It was taught and used at all levels from squad to regiment. If you get something put together, I would love to try it out.

SSG D

Our team for a (supposedly) upcoming campaign game did up a series along these lines. We set up battles with German infantry company assault, German armored platoon maneuver, German AT ambush, Italian Armored company and an artillery training scenario.

The battles are useful, but the critical area is the briefing, not the battle itself. A well-written brief is critical to the "teaching" value of the battle. The fight is the fun part, but can't really extol the virtues of this tactic or that. It just serves to provide examples of the lesson described in the briefing.

The only other challenge is the timeline. There are (of course) wide variations in equipment and tactics over the course of the war. Ours was made easy by having a fixed scenario date. A possibility would be to develop "archetypal" sets based on early and late dessert, early Italian, etc. etc. Do the same basic lessons, and unit sizes, but across different time periods with different forces.

A new player could do worse than play the old CMBO demos as updated for CMAK a few times. "Valley of Trouble" and "Chance Encounter," if played repeatedly from both sides, give you a pretty good grounding in most elements of the game--and they're fun to play!

Both are available in CMAK form from the Scenario Depot...a great spot for a wide range of CM scenarios.