Announcing: CMETO

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys ! Come ON !

DavidI thanked people, apologized for not asking individually, offered to remove works of unwilling authors and is, I am sure, the most appreciative of eveybody's work. To me that settles it. Courteous and unselfish as can be. While I fully concur that giving credit is the only right way to go, I honnestly think DavidI did precisely that.

Repacking the whole thing for a CMBOAK format is downright brilliant and will eventually make the work of everyone here more accessible and fun to play. So err... can we resume thanking HIM instead of arguing over obvious courtesy ?

What I want to hear now is a big, fat, loud ---> THANK YOU DAVIDI !!! pc01_cheers.gif <--- All of you.

Repeat try times and throw confettis.

Originally posted by athlete:

[...] if you choose a QB in CMET, will it offer you new locations and dates and such? How does that work?

No change. CMETO is a mod. The inner workings of CM remains the same. I suppose only the Italian part of the theater has been modded.

Originally posted by Kip Watson:

You though that was an insult??

I was not talking about you, but I assumed you had read where this discussion was coming from. Since I may have been wrong I recommend reading the post by Hortlund that features 'drama queens' and 'precious work'. I thought that was an insult, and that was what I responded to.

Apart from that, while I have not been able to look at the mod, I have been told by Kip Anderson that it is great. So congrats on it, and it is good to see people putting so much hard work into modding the game. I look forward to installing it.

All the best

Andreas

Athlete & Tarkus,

I only modded the Italy part of the game, and even more specifically the late war part of the game June 44 to end of war. The reason for the side by side install is that it changes all the Italian buildings, roads, skys, etc. Junk2Drive is the one that told me you can have side by side

games. Bingo! That solved my "I want ETO but I don't want to screw up my MTO game".

Andreas,

I hope you are not disappointed.

David

Originally posted by Tarkus:

What I want to hear now is a big, fat, loud ---> THANK YOU DAVIDI !!! pc01_cheers.gif <--- All of you.

Repeat try times and throw confettis.

Indeed. He has done a great job, and I have no issue with him. I was talking to those who do no share his kind of curtesy. smile.gif

Originally posted by athlete:

It was a joke. Mostly I intend them to be funny...I don't really consider the relative maturity of them. If people smile, mission accomplished.

I'll explain: A stereotypical woman (not all women, not a real woman...a stereotypical woman), tends to get melodramatic about things that really don't warrant it. It was in reference to this stereo-type that my humour was founded. My buds and I will regularly, and in the spirit of friendly jabbing fire a 'don't be a girl', or 'Whoa, where'd your Adam's apple go?' at each other when we're displaying traits that each of us whine to each other about our significant others. It's mostly intended to snap them out of it, not really insult them.

The hypothetical "gay" comment would of course simply reflect someone's distain for all things pertaining to that lifestyle, and represents bigotry...i.e. there is not necessarily any reference to a specific behaviour, and lacks context.

Now, is it funnier?

Well, I may not know funny, but I know that you don't come off as sounding any more intelligent for having tried to explain yourself. Then again, having to explain a joke is almost never worth it. Learning that comes with maturity too...

Actually, the explanation was tongue in cheek; really it was to point out that you are, like the aforementioned stereotypical chick getting wound up over nothing.

Continuing to take shots at my maturity, well, you'll forgive me if I choose not to alter my personality to appease the sensabilities of some faceless peon in the forums.

If it makes you feel special though, fire away. What say you start a seperate thread though entitled, "My effort to berate Athlete into forum-submission continued here so as not to continue hijacking this thread".

Deal?

So, about that CMET...

[ May 27, 2005, 05:54 AM: Message edited by: athlete ]

Take it easy on Andreas, guys.

Last time I looked he had a great web site with nice pictures and descriptions of his scenarios - and if he would prefer we download from there...

...after all, we're all gentlemen here right? (and I don't just mean we don't have... well you know what I mean) smile.gif

Well. Here's my feeling about this.

First of all, kudos to David 1 for an interesting and ambitious project.

Second, I have no problem with my scenario (Bastognette) being used. As far as I'm concerned once a scenario is sent to the Depot it is fair game.

Having said that, it might have been a good idea for David 1 to have sent an email to the authors. I say this in my case only because Bastognette in its current state is somewhat flawed, and I am about to update it at the Depot within the next few days. (I'll post a notice on this thread and on the CMAK forum when the update happens, and hopefully all that downloaded CMETO will update the scenario.)

A few quibbles:

IMO the light snow is too muddy at low altitudes.

It seems there is no way to tell the difference between dirt roads and paved roads in winter. The well-metalled roads should probably not have the dirty ruts.

That's about it for the moment. As I play with it more I'll probably have some more quibbles. But all in all I think it works pretty well, and the buildings look much better. Also, as someone who rarely downloads mods it seems to be a painless way to get modded without the hassle.

Just my $0.02

Jbertles - I learned alot from this thread as well as in the putting together of CMETO. "A painless way to get modded without the hassle" was exactly my goal. :D Now that it's in your computer you can change the snow and snowy roads or anything else to your hearts content.

DavidI

originally posted by David 1

Now that it's in your computer you can change the snow and snowy roads or anything else to your hearts content

OK, fair enough.

When I update Bastognette will that get updated on your CMETO download at some point? Not to nitpick you to death...

jbertles,

I have no intention of updating anything in CMETO. Now that CMMODs is back up people can mod CMETO to get the look they want. The scenarios packet was provided as a strickly "get started now" kinda thing. One that, I might add, I kinda regret adding. I should have just put a note in my installation instructions saying "Hide ye hence to the Proving Grounds and Scenario Depot for scenarios".

DavidI

jbertles,

I use MikeyD's excellent snowy roads on all my other CM games. However there is only one set of snowy road BMP's that account for both dirt and paved roads. When I ran those roads across snow terrain that varies between practically no snow to snow covered they became a very white band running across the countryside. So if you are going to change them, change them all.

DavidI

If you are talking about open ground "grass", and a PC, there are several choices.

Use McMMM to swap.

For summer, Ed's CMBO grass is dark green, DesertFox grass is light green and subdued.

For fall winter, DD's CMBB, Sdog's CMBB, Gurra's SDog for AK.

You could also copy and paste the original CMAK grasses from your backup or original CMAK install.

David I:

I just wanted to write a short note and thank you for putting together the CMETO project. I downloaded your CMETO package and installed a new [second] version of CMAK last weekend, as suggested. I would guess that — overall — at least half of the CMAK games that I play are set in Northwest Europe, so this really impacts my game-play. The visual difference is stunning; the mods really do give the sense that one is fighting in a different theater. The ease of use is really great — I like the idea of two different versions of the same game to represent the two different theaters. Great concept that actually works in execution. Wonderful!

I understand that I probably could have taken the time to do what you did, which is essentially swapping out art files. Personally, I just don't have the time to do it, so finding it all in one package was a wonderful timesaver. I never would have gotten 'round to doing it myself, but this has changed my enjoyment of the game for the better. My only (hesitant) gripe would be that I would enjoy it even more if I didn't have to hunt down a bunch of white-washed .bmp files for various Pz IVs and Shermans! Again, I don't have much time or patience for that, so it might never get done . . . which is why it would have been nice if the winter mods had been included.

Oh, one other gripe — not your issue, this is a BFC-gripe (are you listening?) — now that France and Germany look so good, it sure would be fun to have those M36s, Royal Tigers, Comets, Cromwells, Pershings, Challengers, etc. available for play! I know, I know; I understand the reason . . . I'm just reacting from my gut-feeling.

And now — and I can't believe that I'm saying this, because I previously had NO desire to play this stuff — if someone would just do the same thing for the 1940-1941 scenarios that continue to pop up. Is that Greece package that someone was doing ever going to see the light of day? How about the Sealion pack? If these were available, I would happily install CMAK a THIRD time just to have the option to play those France 1940 scenarios that Wayne and others keep doing.

OK, that's it. David, I thank you so much for your hard work. You have truly changed my outlook on the game in a positive way, and I was a serious CMAK supporter before.

Mark

Bug-bug,

Thank you for the kind words. The ability to get the whole of CMETO at one time and one place was my goal, and I am tickled pink that you and others have been able to easily download and play. Again the concept was TomCMCHQ's (CM Beyond the Seigfreid Line), but as he has dissappeared I picked up the ball and ran with it.

Tom was also the guy that was working on the Greece project. He had done some bitchin terrain and building mods prior to dissappearing.

Looks too ambitious for my humble arts, he was a true artist.

If you have already winterized your vehicles for CMAK it is a relatively easy task to open your CMAK BMP folder and "Copy and Paste" them over into your CMETO BMP file. It would take a lot less time than hunting them down and downloading them again.

Again thanks,

DavidI

BB that is why I have 6 CMAK installs.

The problem with all in one mods is #1 where to put them for download and #2 dial up users.

I have posted lists of what grau works early and late from BB to AK. I have loaded cmmods with bits and pieces to try to keep the file sizes small for everyone to use.

David put a lot of work into this and was of good fortune to find someone to host the huge files.

It's not that hard to download and install many little files. Sometimes better mods come out too.